The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
sesmith38

Cool New Guy, with a couple of question

OK, hey ya'll, new guy here, first off, lots of good info on here without the normal BS associated with most forums . That is a good thing.
Next, if I post in the wrong"hole" don't freak out too much, me and the 21st century are doing our best to get along.
Ok, no burb yet, but I am on the hunt, hence some questions.

Question one, I have found a "decent" 69 GMC with a I6 (don't know ci yet) looks to be original from pics, my question is if it is a 292 will it pull a 5000 TT and, AND can a AC be fitted and will it pull both ? It is a 350th tranny.
Before you all start razing about the AC, I live in NC near the coast, it gets way hot and way humid, and fat old men despise sweating ( well this fat old man does anyway).

I kinda dig a 6 banger, from the point of being "odd", but the plan is to make whatever old burb I get , is to make it my daily driver and mule for pulling a light camper, and yea I know it would be a dog up a hill.
We pull about every other month , mostly short pulls 400 miles one way.

or...yea I have a or..I know where a couple of nice c20's are...yea whole other animal, but I figure some of you guys have both.
Thoughts, opinions (eegad) sage advice, try to keep any sarcasm to a level I will at least get
and while not a burb, I do have a LB 79 silverado, been around since 83 with us !

thanks
Steve in NC
sesmith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: New Guy, with a couple of question

Welcome to the forum Steve!

I6's are tough engines no matter what, and they can be huge stump pullers if geared right. Heck the old WWII deuce and a half trucks had I6's, but with a manual transmission and crazy low gears.

Notice something? Low gears...
Which means low MPG.

There are a few members here that are giant I6 fans, so they may chime in here with first hand knowledge sooner or later.

Just wanted to say welcome to ya
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
sesmith38

thanks chris..maybe the 6 banger guys will find this and give some insight..I was figuring a I6 would prolly produce about the same mpg as a 350 when pulling..i was hoping I could make it get a little better empty.
Thanks for the welcome !
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Bigdav160

I had a six in my '62 Suburban with a manual trans. The six was smooth but little in the way of power. I wouldn't think of towing with it.

Looking up some specs, it appears the 250 had 105hp and 190 ft/lbs or torque and the 292 had 115hp and 215lb/ft. I'm not sure if that is gross or net.

Plenty of guys are using the Chevy six in hotrods. There is some aftermarket support for speed parts. However, I think you'll be underwelmed in a heavy vehicle like a Suburban especially with an automatic.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
mr48chev

A 292 would most likely handle the trailer and ac but you have to be good with having a slow go of it and spending a lot of time in lower gears on grades going up hill.

I pull a 5500 lb sailboat and trailer combination with my 71 GMC 3/4 with a 350 and automatic and while it rolls right along on the flat it has to work pretty hard on the hills and I take it overt Snoqualmie pass on a regular basis to get to Puget Sound. I'm in the middle of swapping to Cadillac 500 right now for more towing power and future AC install.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
AzDon

Many, if not most flatbed 6-wheel trades trucks in the sixties were spec'd with the 292. Most of those had the granny-low truck four speed and real deep differential gearing. Speed limits of the day topped out at about 65 and modern freeways were mostly in the future (as was standard air conditioning)
Going back to the forties and into the fifties, many larger trucks worked every day with six cylinder power, but there weren't any power features on these trucks and restored originals are considered unacceptably slow for anything other than parade duty or farm use.
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
sesmith38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDon View Post
Many, if not most flatbed 6-wheel trades trucks in the sixties were spec'd with the 292. Most of those had the granny-low truck four speed and real deep differential gearing. Speed limits of the day topped out at about 65 and modern freeways were mostly in the future (as was standard air conditioning)
Going back to the forties and into the fifties, many larger trucks worked every day with six cylinder power, but there weren't any power features on these trucks and restored originals are considered unacceptably slow for anything other than parade duty or farm use.
Yep, I got to drive a few of the late 50's early 60's ton trucks with 6's, born and raised on a small farm, we used equipment until it was worn out, and then wore it out again.
The 6 pushing through a slush box, is a concern, but it would not be the first vehicle I have run that you had to cut the AC to pass somebody or pull a hill at speed.
Thank you for the input AzDon !