The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
roughedup72

Does this look like a scam to you?

Hello Seller,

I want to buy this 72 chevy cheyenne,and need to know how much are you asking for it? and please i can only pay using paypal,and after payments has been made i will arrange for pick up of the 72 chevy cheyenne.You can email me

I left his email address off on purpose. Here is his second email.

Thanks for the prompt response.I am a marine engineer and at this moment i am presently working offshore,i am OK with the price and i will love to make an instant purchase, I am located in Weslaco, TX.so please do withdraw the advert from the site.I don't mind adding an extra $20 dollars for you to take the advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item ,I am buying the item as a gift for my brother, I want to surprise him. I don't have access to my bank account on-line as i don't have internet banking,but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on paying you through PayPal, kindly get back to me with your PayPal details if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up at your bank and get it set up,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done, i have a pick up agent that will come around for verifications and to pick the item after i have made the payments for the item .So I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making of the payment
.1.Your PayPal full name.

2.Your PayPal Email Address.

3..Your phone number.
Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping. I will have my pick-up agent come over as soon as you have receive the payment confirmation.Do Have a nice day,
My Best Regard....

Just needing some help from some of my fellow board members. Have any of you had anybody contact you after placing your add for sale like this?
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
sKnNyPpY

Re: Does this look like a scam to you?

scam ba lam
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Bhelton

Sounds like the exact response I received off of Craigslist scam
Posted via Mobile Device
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

that guy uses the same story to email about cars trucks boats fourwheelers ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
roughedup72

Thought so. There are some real jack asses out there.. Thanks guys
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mmiddle

Run!!!!! it's a scam
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
roughedup72

Just reported it to paypal and deleted his emails.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
tlcrz1972

Sounds like a scam, plus they sound as if they type with a cob up their @$$.

I've had a e-mail like that and just ignored it because it just didn't seen right.

Plus on a big purchase like that I would be very cautious, money order with time for it to clear, or cash money.
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
slow-1

Guys from Texas don't usually use the term "advert".
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
junksaver

Definately a scam!
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Stu Pidd

Biggest red flag:

The response never mentions a '72 Chevy, asks no questions about a truck, nothing.

Just says: "the item".

This is a generic response that is sent out to people selling everything from used trucks, antique furniture, snow machines, lawn mowers, about anything sold over the internet.

Send enough of them out, and occasionally they get someone to give up banking info, and presto! The bank account is cleaned out!

Any legitimate response will have specific questions about your truck- How many miles, does everything work, does it use oil, yada yada....
Stu Pidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
jjzepplin

I found a "too good to be true " deal on a boat on CL and they gave me some story about a divorce and being in the military and would ship it for free to me blah blah. Never would give a phone # and would not let me see it first. SCAM!
Now I ask everyone to pay in cash for parts on CL and have sold many but always check the bills first. The green ink has iron or something in it and is actually can be drawn to a magnet. Saw it on some kid show once.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
67-72C10

Check this out... I googled it

http://jeeptruck.com/sale/scamalert.html

Terry reported this scam from a Powell Dominos

Date: Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: 1963 Jeep

Thanks for the prompt response.I am a marine engineer and at this
moment i am presently working offshore,i am OK with the price and
i will love to make an instant purchase, I am located in Weslaco, TX.
so please do withdraw the advert from the site.I don't mind adding
an extra $20 dollars for you to take the advert down from the site
so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item ,I am buying
the item as a gift for my brother, I want to surprise him. I don't
have access to my bank account on-line as i don't have internet banking,
but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account and this is why
i insisted on paying you through PayPal, kindly get back to me with your
PayPal details if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set
up at your bank and get it set up,after you have set it up i will only need
the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the
money through so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has
been done, i have a pick up agent that will come around for verifications
and to pick the item after i have made the payments for the item .So I will
need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making
of the payment

1.Your PayPal full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3..Your phone number.

Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for
shipping. I will have my pick-up agent come over as soon as you have receive
the payment confirmation.Do Have a nice day,

Steve
67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
jeh

I had a set of wheels and tires, and a F-150 truck for sale and got the exact same reply as you. I don't know how these people get away with this. I finally pulled my ads off CL
Posted via Mobile Device
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
72ironmike

[QUOTE=tlcrz1972;6192968]Sounds like a scam, plus they sound as if they type with a cob up their @$$.

I've had a e-mail like that and just ignored it because it just didn't seen right.

tlcrz1972, That says it, the corn cob descript is right on !
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It's worded almost as if they used a translation program.I wonder what would happen if you told them OK but you don't get the item until I have unrefundable payment.I'm betting the e-mails and such would end since they aren't getting you bank info.It might be cool to set up a bank account(using an alias) with $5.00 in it and see.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
stexag

Weslaco Texas is right down the road from me. This I can tell you:

Folks from Weslaco who are Marine ENGINEERS don't exist. Okay, I jest there; of course there could be but if there were -

As stated above they don't use the word 'advert'
'My best regard' is also not common vernacular here

Aside from that EVERYTHING screamed scam even before it was a confirmed scam - glad you smelled a rat. Now stop selling your 72 truck and go buy another one so it won't be so lonely!
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Lee H

Google his email adress for a quick laugh. He's a well know scammer. I always google questionable email correspondence, you'd be amazed at how far these guys reach to try to pull off a scam.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Had one of my guys call me one night while we were at the drag races. He was so excited, he had a buyer for his high dollar truck. He was telling me what all he was going to do with the cash.... Then I had to ruin his high, told him it was a scam and quit communicating with the "buyer" right now. Had all the key words, paypal, out of the country, my shipper,, you guys know the ones. I guess if you throw out enough lines, you eventually hook something. Glad you were smart enough to see through it. I feel for the people that get taken by these scams.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
laplander

Just got the exact same reply for some wheels I had listed in craigslist. Just delete and forget about it.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Gokart Mozart

I was selling my bike a few years ago and got a scammer. I played with him until he ended the conversation. I'm sure he though he hooked me.
Quote:
On Wed, 4/6/11, dennwaf@comcast.net <dennwaf@comcast.net> wrote:
i will like to know if this item is still available for sale?

Yes it is.
I'm in a NW suburb of Detroit.

Wed, 4/6/11, Thomas Barry <t.barry65@yahoo.com> wrote
How much do you want for it??

I'm looking for $2200

Thanks for your response.My name is Mr.Thomas Barry from Bristol TN .I have read all the description of the 1975 GL1000 and I'm satisfied with the condition of the 1975 GL1000 with the final price $2200.I will like to ask you some few questions..How long have you owned it? Where is the 1975 GL1000? Do you accept a (Company Business Check or Cashier Check)as a mode of payment?Get back to me with your Full name,address and Phone # to further our discussion. Do you accept a local pick up?

Note that you don't need to worry about shipping as i will schedule a shipping company that will take care of the shipping and delivery of the 1975 GL1000 once payment is been received by you.I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest convenience.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regard And God Bless,
Mr.Thomas

Hi Thomas,
I've had the bike 4 years. I would prefer cash or certified check. I'm in a town near Detroit.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your response and I'm satisfied with the price of $2200, i work as a Fisherman &Oceanographer currently on sea at the moment, i am buying the 1975 GL1000 as a gift, i want to make it as a surprise,he won't know anything about the 1975 GL1000 until they get to deliver it to him, i can only pay through pay pal as i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't do internet banking,but i have my bank account attached to my pay pal account and this is why i insisted on paying you through pay pal,So please kindly get back to me with your pay pal details so i can be able to proceed with the payment and after the payment has been completed.I'll notified you on the shipping arrangement.

Details needed
Full Name
PayPal Account

Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regard And God Bless,
Mr Thomas

Can i make the payment through paypal..

Sure. It's the same as this email address

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the information, I was just about to make the payments when i had this little problem with the picking up of the bike, I am currently on sea and i am buying this bike as a birthday gift as i explained earlier on and i tried to book the pick up with the shipping agent because i have some other items that i want them to deliver it all at the same time, but they asked me to pay a deposit as the part payment for the shipment before they can make any booking, and they only accept western union money transfer for payments and they don't accept paypal or bank transfer and I tried to send the money online but i could not and I am on sea, there is no way i can find a western union agent to make the transfer to the pick up agent, so i wanted to ask if it was okay for me to include my pick up agent's fees in the payments that am about to send through paypal,The shipping company charges $600 plus insurance and all of that,please can i include their money in the payments, as i want to send the money immediately and after i have completed the payments you will help me forward the $600 to the shipping company through western union money transfer,this I would have done myself and not to bother you, but the fact is that I am currently on sea, so I will be making the payment of $2200 for the bike and $600 for the shipping with $100 for the western union charges and the complete payment will be $2900, After I have made the payments you will help me send $600 to the shipping company and western union will charges $100 as sending fee to the pick up agent,I just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the payments,I will more than appreciate if you mail me back, and I will be making the payments shortly.

PS:the shipping company's Head quarters is in United State and any pick up fees to be paid is sent to their head quarters by the payee, so the money for pick up will be sent to their head quarters in U.S.A through western union money transfer(this can be done from any post office) or you can do it online at www.westernunion.com

Thanks,
Mr Thomas

Thomas,
What is the shipping company's name?
Dan

Schumacher Cargo Freight Shipping Company they work under FedEx so should i go ahead with the payment,I will be waiting to read from you so that i can complete the payment.

Thomas

I found a shipper for $362 that offers:
Custom enclosed trailer with door to door service. We use a strapless system for all Harleys, custom choppers and any exposed tubular framed bikes, any others we use e-track with wheel chocks along with canyon dancer straps and soft ties. We are dot approved and insured. We carry $100,000 cargo insurance at no cost to customers. We are bikers who only transport bikes.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the fast reply and i really appreciate your effort to help in terms of shipping the bike,I will like you to understand that i have some other items with the shipping company company which i want them to deliver all the items same day.More so they gave me a discount on shipping all the items that why i want to use the moving company.I really appreciate your concern and i shall be waiting to read from you so that i can complete the payment today.

Mr Thomas

Thomas,
Go ahead with the $2900 transfer into my paypal account and send me the information needed to send the money to the shipping company.
Dan

What is going on?please get back to me so that i will know what is going on..

Sorry that I have 2 jobs and can't get back right away. There's still a hold on the paypal account. Once it's released, I will send the $600 to the shipping company.

Hi Dan,
The payment will be credited to your account once you send the payment,PayPal will release the hold as soon as you send the payment that's was their policy in such kind of payment so all you have to is to go ahead and send the money through western union money transfer and you're to send it by money in a minute you can forward it to them for confirmation and send me a copy of the details so that i can contact them my self and they will release the funds immediately.I hope you understand and i shall be waiting g to read from you soon

Thomas

I can't send money before it's in the account.

Well,if you can't follow the paypal instruction i will go ahead to cancel the transaction.Because i do explain everything to you.

How can I access the money before the money is released?
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
roughedup72

Gokart, You played that guy like a fiddle. That's just too funny. The sad part about this is that I got this "offer" after listing it on craigslist first and then again after listing on here. I knew it was a scam but wanted everyone else to see it as I did so others will be looking out for these people. I may sill toy with this fish for a few days. He's sent another email but I deleted it. I'm glad I'm not as dumb as I look.lol
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I wonder if he gets lonely on his "PHISHING" boat?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote