The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
TruckFarmer

TruckFarmer's 1971 restomod.

Starting a build thread for anyone interested in following the restoration/customization of my truck. Of course, I am completely open to advice and/or suggestions and comments from all! So without further ado....

The truck: This will be my first vehicle, which I am restoring with my father. Our goal is to re-create his 1970 c10 long stepside he had when he started driving. As stated, he had a 1970 c10, 250, 3 speed, manual steering, no power brakes, nothing. With the death of the i6, a 350 pulled from my grandma's TOTALLED(hit a crane) olds wagon, and a Saginaw 4 speed from a 4 cyl. Monza took its place with help from my grandpa. The result, as many people describe it, was "scary". Now, I'm only 15, but I'd like to think I know a little something by now. I can't with any stretch of my imagination come up with a reason why a '77 350 out of a station wagon paired with a 4 speed from a motor with like 85 hp could put a 3800 lb truck in the 12's, but as my grandpa, a GM mechanic of nearly 50 years puts it, "it was blessed."
The truck I'm starting with is a 1971 lwb Chevy Custom 10. It was originally a small block Chevy with a New Process 4 speed(granny low) truck, with power steering and brakes being the only other options. (Weren't power brakes standard in 71-72?) The cab will need rockers and corners, but other than that is solid, already has provisions for manual trans, and we have located a couple possible candidates for beds. The long stepsides are getting hard to find, I know that. The truck will be visually speaking, a 1969-70. If you haven't noticed, this project is highly sentimental, and I am lucky enough to have my grandpa donating to the cause, the very 350 that seems to have made a legend in the late 80's. I will post pictures of what we are starting with tomorrow, as it is starting to get too dark to take good ones. Updates will come as we make progress.

Farmer
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
TruckFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
TruckFarmer

Re: TruckFarmer's 1971 restomod.

Inside...dirty dirty DIRTIER than a barn...like it was left open.

Outer fenders I got.

Radiator support. Have a rusted gmc one to rob of hood latch and battery tray.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
TruckFarmer

Sorry for slow progress, been pretty busy with school and everything, as well as being pretty well broke. Got some more stuff today.

69-70 hood. One hole someone curiously drilled in it, very solid though.

69-70 grille. Repairable?

Custom Deluxe and up rear side markers.

Cowl with no dings or real rust

And I got 2 5 lug 15x8's with rings and centers....for the price of bringing them home....

Slowly coming along. I will post more pics when I get parts cleaned up and start taking stuff off the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
TruckFarmer

No pics today, randomly decided to dump rain, got over an inch at the house. Plan on getting ps pump, brake booster, guages, seat out tomorrow. Will see what I have from there.
Posted via Mobile Device