The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
71-C10

71 C-10 Brake issues?

My 71 has been sitting for a long time, and I'm in the process of getting it back on the road. Even though it hasn't been out of the garage for several years, I crank it occasionally. One of the things I had to do was put a master cylinder on it, which I did this morning. With that taken care of, I attempted to back it out, but it would not move. I can try to push on it in neutral, and it won't roll. I was thinking maybe it had back brake issues, so I jacked it up, and with it in neutral, I cannot rotate the back tires. I can move the passenger side rear a little, but it won't rotate. I can't move the drivers side rear at all. I tried removing the drums but I cannot get them off. I want to try backing the adjusters off and see if I can remove the drums to do a little inspecting. I've looked at all of my manuals and cant see which way to turn the adjusters to back them off. Do I turn them up or down to back them off? Is there anything else that would keep the back wheels from turning?

Thanks,

Eddie
71-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
airdale94

Re: 71 C-10 Brake issues?

If they turn freely one way and you can hear the clicks, that is tightening them. They shouldn't turn the other way until you take a small screwdriver and push the lever off the star wheel. Hold the lever back and turn the wheel. That's loosening them.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Probably best is to see a pic of the asm. If you look at the adjusting lever it pushes down on the outside of the star wheel so you would have do the opposite. From the backside you would have to go down to reverse it.

The pic is of the driver's side rear.
Attached Images

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Added information: Be sure and use a thin screw driver to push on the self adjusting lever otherwise it's very hard to turn the star wheel.

Brake cylinders could be rusted and hydraulic pressure will expand them but spring pressure is not enough to retract the brakes.

One other thing you can do is to loosen the bleed valves at the rear and see if the will move then. If they do, you may have a completely swollen (collapsed) rubber rear brake line on the top of the axle. Shuts off the fluid from returning to m.c. Not noticeable from the outside, though.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
71-C10

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.
71-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote