The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
jus2qwk

Where did you put your gauges?

Where did you guy put your extra oil pressure and water temp gauges?

I know most people put them in the cab under the heater controls but I wanted to keep the interior clean and I put mine under the hood, kind of unusual but I figured if a gauge was showing me something in the truck I probably needed to pull over and pop the hood anyway and I could see then. Now I'm cleaning up under the hood and don't want them there either. I would love to have one of those nice aftermarket dashes that look stock but cant see paying almost a grand when mine looks almost brand new. also thought about in the glove box or making a custom box to put them under the heater controls... idk just looking for ideas. So where do you have yours?

the reason I cant see paying almost 1k for new dash. The tach is Vew Vintage USA.

where they are now. you can barley see them on the driver side radiator support where it connects to the fender

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1103c...chevrolet-c10/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598758

Last edited by jus2qwk; 10-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.
jus2qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: Where did you put your gauges?

I guess my question would be why you need them? The only thing I felt the real need to have in addition to the factory setup was a clock and a voltmeter.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Lee H

The factory gauges are way off in my truck. At normal operation temp the needle is just off cold and the oil pressure gauge is almost pegged. I installed a nice set of autometers under the hood and get an accurate reading for the vitals.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
jus2qwk

same here my oil pressure is almost always pegged and I don't the the water temp is any where close. Its always nice to know exactly what those 2 are reading instead of hot/cold low/high especially if you have a fairly beefed up engine.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Has anyone put them in their console?
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
GuyO

I use the empty hole in the cluster. I put a vacuum gauge in the 70 GMC, which is OK. And I put a trans temp gauge in the empty spot in the 72 K5 Blazer. The only things I have under the dash(s) is the Prodigy 2 Brake controllers. Both are mounted in the same place - to the right of the column before the switch under the dash. I don't have a good picture though.
Attached Images

GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
jhama78

I'm planning on putting a set of gauges in the glovebox of my 67, that way if I need to take a peek at them, then it'll be possible to do while driving. My 2 pennies.

'06 3500 LWB CC 4wd, 8.1 Allison
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
cool68

reaching over to glove box or waiting to look under hood makes no sense to me. building a center console and placing gauges there seems better if you want to avoid bottom of dash.
having accurate readings, and the plus of a voltmeter are worth a little ugly below dash. instead of console maybe add a panel below dash and make things look more like they belong. keep the stock idiot light along with volts gauge.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
jus2qwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
I'm planning on putting a set of gauges in the glovebox of my 67, that way if I need to take a peek at them, then it'll be possible to do while driving. My 2 pennies.
the more I think about it the more I think I want to go in the glove box. they are out of the way, you can look at them if you need to see them. if I decide to pony up later and get the expensive dash I can just remove the ones from the glove box and no one would know the difference
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
bruceman1968

This was my work truck. Back in 95 I built a new motor for it and the only thing I cared about was being able to see the vitals at all times. I didn't want to mess with the factory guage cluster and I couldn't put them under the dash because of my floor shifter. So I just mounted them up on top. If you use a electrical water temp guage then you don't have to drill any holes.

Name:  doc 1572.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
70blackfish

love that tach.....
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
72bowtiestepper

The radio opening on my truck was butchered when I got it...so I mounted my 2 1/16" autometer gauges in that space... made a panel to fit...have oil press, water temp. & volts. Don't need a "stinking radio" anyway...rather listen to my flowmaster exhaust !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
The factory gauges are way off in my truck. At normal operation temp the needle is just off cold and the oil pressure gauge is almost pegged. I installed a nice set of autometers under the hood and get an accurate reading for the vitals.
I replaced all of the stock gauges and added trans oil temp, engine oil temp and a clock. Solved that problem.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
A.T. RockDriller

Here is mine...
I know it's not the same....mine being a '63...but here ya go anyway..

BTW...I was working on the column when I took this pic....so that's what looks weird about it.
Attached Images

'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
trukman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I replaced all of the stock gauges and added trans oil temp, engine oil temp and a clock. Solved that problem.
SO where did you get the dash pad with the gauge cluster "part" built in? Custom fab or over the counter? Also, what size (Auto Meter?) gauges did you use for the MPH/Tach gauges and the smaller gauges? Do you think they would fit behind a stock dash panel?

Sorry OP not trying to "car jack" your thread...

I have to say I can't understand putting gauges where you can't see them at a glance. How will you know your oil pressure just dropped or the engine is overheating if the gauges are in the glove box or under the hood? IMHO, gauges aren't much good if you can't monitor them while driving.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
jhama78

The way I look at it, in my case at least... The truck is all stock and has lasted 46 years with the dummy lights. If I hear a noise/smell something unusual then Im gonna pull over and take a look. If I end up cooking my engine due to the gauges not being in plain sight then that'll my cross to bear. Its not like you cant smell antifreeze/oil if it is leaking especially if you happen to be driving down the road with the wind pushing the odor back into the cab.

my 2 pennies.

-j-rod

'06 3500 LWB CC 4wd, 8.1 Allison
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
leftybass209

Interesting ideas here. I feel theres plenty of holes in the gauge panel, just need to be filled up. Speedhut has thin customizable gauges that read accurate. That's what I'm going to use. Stock look, modern gauges, right around 500 with whatever configuration you'd want.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
cool68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
The way I look at it, in my case at least... The truck is all stock and has lasted 46 years with the dummy lights. If I hear a noise/smell something unusual then Im gonna pull over and take a look. If I end up cooking my engine due to the gauges not being in plain sight then that'll my cross to bear. Its not like you cant smell antifreeze/oil if it is leaking especially if you happen to be driving down the road with the wind pushing the odor back into the cab.

my 2 pennies.

-j-rod
sure will be your "cross to bear" when you damage a engine when it could have been avoided if you had some accurate gauges.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
Sudden Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool68 View Post
sure will be your "cross to bear" when you damage a engine when it could have been avoided if you had some accurate gauges.
+1000! Everybody can do as he/she wants. I'll put the odds in my favor with adequate gauges. Just my opinion.
Sudden Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
SO where did you get the dash pad with the gauge cluster "part" built in? Custom fab or over the counter? Also, what size (Auto Meter?) gauges did you use for the MPH/Tach gauges and the smaller gauges? Do you think they would fit behind a stock dash panel?

Sorry OP not trying to "car jack" your thread...

I have to say I can't understand putting gauges where you can't see them at a glance. How will you know your oil pressure just dropped or the engine is overheating if the gauges are in the glove box or under the hood? IMHO, gauges aren't much good if you can't monitor them while driving.
Pad came from Just Dashes : http://www.justdashes.com/
Guages are 2.25 inch autometer from summit racing on the dashpad. The pad is available in black only so if you need a different color use SEM vinyl dye. The Tach and speedo are Dolphin vintage white 5 in and the Oil Press, Fuel, Battery and Temp are 2.25 in Dolphin. They will fit into a stock bezel IF you do some trimming with an airsaw.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
sheldon

Keeping it simple
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Sudden Impact

Quote:
Guages are 2.25 inch autometer from summit racing on the dashpad. The pad is available in black only so if you need a different color use SEM vinyl dye. The Tach and speedo are Dolphin vintage white 5 in and the Oil Press, Fuel, Battery and Temp are 2.25 in Dolphin. They will fit into a stock bezel IF you do some trimming with an airsaw.
AWESOME! Fitz, your the man! Thanks for all the information. I'm off to look at some gauges and stuff! SI
Sudden Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
A.T. RockDriller

Quote:
I love that dash pad....
That sets the bar a bit higher.....
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
A.T. RockDriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyO View Post
I use the empty hole in the cluster. I put a vacuum gauge in the 70 GMC, which is OK. And I put a trans temp gauge in the empty spot in the 72 K5 Blazer. The only things I have under the dash(s) is the Prodigy 2 Brake controllers. Both are mounted in the same place - to the right of the column before the switch under the dash. I don't have a good picture though.
That '72 is a real beauty...
I had one (fewer options) when I was real young....'78 thru '82....then came a family...bla, bla, bla...(that's a different story)'
I love yours.

Makes my eyes leak.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #25
jorgensensc

I used Speedhut gauges for my ls swap. My fuel, volt, oil pressure, engine temp, and trans temp all run off the canbus system. The tach and speedo were not available in the right size in canbus, so they hook directly to the ECM. They do make a gps speedo though if you are running something without an electrical pulse for the speedo. They were very nice and super easy to wire.
Attached Images

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote