The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
revitout

76 truck with 90s front supension/diff

Has any body grafted a modern 4x4 front end to a square body chassis?
revitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: 76 truck with 90s front supension/diff

Most guys end up going the other way for strength reasons. I don't recall seeing a swap to independent suspension on the trucks. The solid axles into the newer trucks is a much much more common swap though for strength reasons.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
ryanroo

Honestly, it would be a pain. the frame would need some re-enforcement to deal with the change in force from the suspension. the IFS frames use a beefy front crossmember to deal with the loads. i would be curious to see if the kick up on the frames is even close and i think the IFS frames are a little narrower at the attachment point for the control arms. i also think the width of the frame behind the firewall might be an issue as the gmt400s get wider to accommodate the torsion bars if i remember correctly.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
andrewmp6

To most of us it would be a sin to think of it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

The frames are so un-similar I can't imagine what would be involved. The 88+ frames are completely different animals,for one they are boxed,and the IFS set-up has other differences...such as the differential is stationary,so have to come up with a way to hang that on the truck. I don't care if people want to try to do something I wouldn't want to do. More power to you for wanting to try. Not saying it can't be done. But,what I "have" seen are older bodies put on the IFS frames. Seems the way to go,if IFS is what you want. My '92 K3500 has been plenty strong these past 22 years throughout it's 300,000 miles of hauling/working every inch of the way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-10-2014 at 12:17 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
twich3136

correct me if im wrong but if you designed and built two crossmembers, one for the front and one for the trans ish area, all you would have to do is mount the 90's a arms steering rack and shock loops to the front. and you could mount the torsion bars to the trans xmember. it sounds easy enough but it one had the tools and time to build x-members capable of bolting 90's gear up to a custom x-member its totally doable. problem with torsion bars is the range of motion isnt as great. and lifting is way easier with leafs. but in my mind a custom crossmember design similar to the lifts they build for those trucks would be simple enough if you had the parts to bolt to it. it would never be a bolt on conversion without a lot of custom stuff. i have spent some time thinking about it before because i like the idea of a softer ride of the a arms with a 4wd diff up front. if i had access to a proper customs shop i would totally tinker with the idea, maybe even market it since parts are still so available.

something like this but just design it around the older frames

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote