The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
AZ59apacheguy

Is this right? Power steering pump question

So I am gearing up to install power steering on my '59. When I spoke to CPP about their kit, they suggested getting GM '68-'78 car or truck power steering pump. So I went on to Rockauto and ordered a 20-6084F which seemed to be the most common pump for a Chevy small block. I got it today and this is what they sent me.

This next pic shows the picture in the items description

The one they sent me has a MUCH smaller fill reservoir than the other. Has anyone seen a pump like this. Just what in the heck did they send me??
AZ59apacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Is this right? Power steering pump question

They probably grabbed it out of the wrong spot. Could be a Ford product?
Never seen that type on older GMs.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I've never seen a pump like that on a GM product. Maybe the 'F' suffix means it is for a Ford....they did use saginaw pumps for many years.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
AZ59apacheguy

Thanks for the replies. In the description on Rockauto, the " F " stands for filtration. It is starting to appear that they sent the wrong pump. And I don't want a Ford pump on my Chevy
Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
68gmsee

fyi: I bought one for my 68 GMC from local Autozone last year and so far it's been a good one. The reason I bought one locally is that I didn't want the hassle of having to ship it out if it was defective or not the one I wanted.

These are two basic designs that I have used as replacements. On a lot of these pumps the internal pump asm is the same but the canister is different.
Attached Images

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
AZ59apacheguy

So I got a call from both Cardone and Rockauto. According to them, this is the correct power steering pump for a 72' Chevy C10, which is what I ordered. They went on to say, it will function and hold as much fluid as the other ones. To me, it looks more " old school " when comparing it to the others, which I'm fine with. I was more concerned about fit and function and if they sent me a Ford, Dodge...... or other branded pump. If I match up the mounting holes it will fit and the return line is pointing the way I want. It also comes with a 3-year Warranty. I just wish Rockauto would either, change the picture to reflect what your actually getting, or not put a picture at all.......
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
So I got a call from both Cardone and Rockauto. According to them, this is the correct power steering pump for a 72' Chevy C10, which is what I ordered.........
I've never seen that type in our trucks and I've looked at a lot of 67-72 chevies and GMC's. Maybe others can chime in. It could be they're referring to the internal pump being the same as I mentioned above.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Procurement_man

That's the same one I was sold as well, I'm still trying to figure out a bracket to mount it. So I would love to see how it works out.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
cadillac_al

I think it may be correct for early 70's GM. I'm pretty sure my '70 Impala has that style of pump.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
AZ59apacheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procurement_man View Post
That's the same one I was sold as well, I'm still trying to figure out a bracket to mount it. So I would love to see how it works out.
Thanks for the replies. Well that's comforting news. I have a 283 and I am using the stock front motor mounts. Do you have a V8 or L6? If V8, are you using the stock front or side motor mounts? I bought a bracket from CPP that replaces the drivers side upper mount. It incorporates an upper engine mount and power steering pump bracket. Like this:

Old 03-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
AZ59apacheguy

So, what would be the correct cap for this pump. I did a search for early 70's Impala and I saw a few different styles. Some had long dipstick and others had short.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
AZ59apacheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
So, what would be the correct cap for this pump. I did a search for early 70's Impala and I saw a few different styles. Some had long dipstick and others had short.
Anyone??
Old 03-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
Procurement_man

I plan on using the short one. that bracket you posted is it for long or short water pump?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
AZ59apacheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procurement_man View Post
I plan on using the short one. that bracket you posted is it for long or short water pump?
Thanks for the reply. Ummmmm, I hope it's for the short water pump, that's what I have now. This type bracket is for early Chevy V8's, and correct me if I'm wrong, but long water pumps were on later V8's???
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
cadillac_al

Sorry I can't help more. My poor Impala is buried and surrounded by junk and I just lost my camera while snowmobiling. The 70 Impala has had many many swaps over the years. I'm pretty sure I'm running a long water pump with the old funky power steering pump. I rob all my parts off of 70's Chevy trucks. I wonder if you can google '70 power steering pumps and get some pics of how they are mounted.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Ironangel

I'm no long time Chevy guy but have two 72 C-10,s with factory 350's in them...I've replaced one pump and have a used back-up pump I picked from one of the board members...None of them look like the pump the OP posted...Now this is how I feel...On looks alone, if it dont look like the one that came off, send it back! Rock auto, or Rock of Ages, that thing aint right! Send it back! They should honor that and if they dont then let us know...Another thing...That mount shown dont look quite right to me...Mine are three piece mounts that go together like a puzzle, they intertwine with each other with a brace that goes back to the motor mount...In one pic you can see where I used a 3/8-16 socket head cap screw in the mount because the hex head was so hard to tighten in that proximity...Send it back and be done with it is my final answer...
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 03-11-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Misspilin
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
AZ59apacheguy

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Ironangle, it looks like your using side motor mounts. The power steering pump bracket I bought was because I'm using the stock front motor mounts. It incorporates both the motor mount and power steering bracket in one. As far as the pump itself, I'm sure they will take it back. As long as it works, I'm cool with the looks of it, it also comes with a nice three year warranty.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
61K10

mount is for a short pump

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
robs71k5
K5drive

This is the pump I removed from a c10 I parted out .it look simular to the one you have .I was also told the pump brackets were in corvettes. Might have come with 327 or 283 That might help your search
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  40.8 KB
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
dujobu

I'm having trouble finding the correct replacement pump for my '71 Blazer. The one in the bottom photo here is the style I pulled out, and the one on the top is the one I keep getting when I order a replacement (I'm on my third try and I keep getting the wrong reservoir style despite what the photos show from where I'm buying them). The problem is that style reservoir and the angle of the hose connection on the back interfere with my bracket. Can anyone offer and suggestions on how to straighten this mess out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
fyi: I bought one for my 68 GMC from local Autozone last year and so far it's been a good one. The reason I bought one locally is that I didn't want the hassle of having to ship it out if it was defective or not the one I wanted.

These are two basic designs that I have used as replacements. On a lot of these pumps the internal pump asm is the same but the canister is different.

Last edited by dujobu; 05-20-2014 at 05:38 PM.
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would either buy just the pump without the reservior or R&R the one from the pump that has the wrong reservior.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #22
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Wow! I'm in the same boat, I ordered the recommended AC/DELCO part number ACD# 36P1410 / GM #19319936. The one I received was the square reservoir type, not the round long neck type that was pictured. The square type will not fit in the OE 72 truck brackets. So, I'm headed to NAPA to see if I can match one up. Or, has any body figured out the correct part number for the exact replacement?

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
GSP7

My '69 CST 396 had a separate reservoir with a connecting hose

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #24
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
My '69 CST 396 had a separate reservoir with a connecting hose
Yes, I've seen this on 396 trucks only. I guess it could be retrofitted to a SBC, but not sure. The remote reservoir is convenient. This is a keyed shaft (which is also correct for '69).

NAPA PN "NSP 816747" comes up as the divorced pump. The title says "w/ reservoir" but the picture does not show the reservoir. So I'd be leery if you need a reservoir. Also the core charge is a killer for this particular pump.

It's also available on Rock Auto, no reservoir, and a huge core charge there as well. Same with Autozone.

What I can't help with is those who are having trouble finding the one with the oval filler neck. Seems those are drying up in the reman market, which is crazy because that's the only style you could get for years and years. I had the opposite problem with a Mopar. I wanted the round filler neck and kept getting the oval one. LOL. I ended up finding a NOS reservoir on eBay and buying just the pump and seal kit and assembling them myself. FWIW, I think the round neck looks better on older vehicles.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote