The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
IwantaK5

LJ20 Question...

I know this is not a chevy and it is Japanese, but it is a 4X4!... A friend of mine is interested in purchasing this 1970 suzuki LJ20. Neither one of us knew such a thing even existed and he is curious about what it is worth? Just so he doesnt make too high of an offer. It needs a motor rebuild but comes with most the parts and it has a little rust... again, THIS IS NOT A FOR SALE AD, IT IS A LEGITIMATE QUESTION.

<p> </p>
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: LJ20 Question...

Talk about rare. To be honest the first thing I would do is just try to locate simple parts like brakes,hoses, and other wear parts and see if they are even available. If you cant get regular maintenance parts without an act of congress it doesn't matter how cool the vehicle is when it sits for weeks or months over a simple part that needs replaced but cant be located. I have no clue on what value would be but I personally would find something more common.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
ryanroo

500 bucks, tops.

it looks like a complete drivetrain swap project to me. switch it all to easy to find stuff. so you are buying a body, and it looks like it needs work.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
IwantaK5

Thanks, for the info. I will tell my friend to offer the guy a few hundred then.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
IwantaK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Talk about rare. To be honest the first thing I would do is just try to locate simple parts like brakes,hoses, and other wear parts and see if they are even available. If you cant get regular maintenance parts without an act of congress it doesn't matter how cool the vehicle is when it sits for weeks or months over a simple part that needs replaced but cant be located. I have no clue on what value would be but I personally would find something more common.
The word on the street is that it was up and running and driving a year ago but the motor blew up last month. I agree with my friend finding something more common but this thing kinda found him. Do you know if they are worth anything to restore or are they just a money pit? I know rare does not always mean desirable.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
cableguy0

A restoration on something like that would only empty his bank account with no chances of refilling it. Even in perfect condition I couldn't see it fetching more than a couple grand. I know I wouldn't pay anything much for it and my intention would be to gut it and swap the entire drivetrain over the chevy stuff.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote