The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
engineer_gregh

Soundproofing and new tunes

I thought I would share my Saturday project with everyone. I wanted to eliminate some of the cab noise and improve on the crappy sound of my stereo. Spur of the moment so I didn't have time to order Dynamat or Fat Mat. I choose to use Frost King Duct Insulation from Home Depot. Its 12" wide and 1/8" thick and comes in a 15' roll, and is self adhesive. Three roles, new utility knife, and a roll of aluminum tape for a total cost of $72 bucks (another $75 bucks to replace the screen on my iPhone I dropped and cracked taking the pictures!). Added all new wiring to the stereo and installed a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp. I was very pleased to see that I had zero rust on the floor. Be prepared to have some painful cuts from the insulation or wear gloves (I'm not smart enough to wear them). My grandson like it
Attached Images

engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: Soundproofing and new tunes

Did you put anything in the doors?

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
GMB1985

Looks good I may be headed to the hd now that I saw this you just used aluminum tape and what you plan on putting over top
GMB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
AirSpeed

Put some inside the outside door panels, makes a big difference! It really quiets down road noise, it also sounds a lot better when you close the doors, sounds solid instead of the tinny sound the doors make without it. I had a bunch of 3/4" rubber left over from my rubber bed liner and glued it to my floor boards, gas tank and doors. Another thing that makes a big difference is a rubber bed mat, I bought a 5X10' sheet of 3/4" rubber from Les Schwab for $89, it really quiets noise from the bed, it was surprising how much sound comes from the bed floor.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
engineer_gregh

I did put some in the doors. I cut a piece to fit the lower inside skin and some on the outer shell that wouldn't get in the way of the window going up and down. Definitely made a difference in the way the doors sound when you shut them. I put the carpet back once finished. Seemed like a shame to hide all that work.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
CC69Rat

Looks great Greg, you'll notice a difference in sound / heat in the summer. That's what I used in another truck I did once upon a time.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
engineer_gregh

Thanks Chad. Between a/c duct repair, new headlight switch, cleaning up some under dash wiring, and rewiring the head unit for the amp it was quite the project.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
engineer_gregh

Chad I just noticed in my email alert you asked if that was the stuff from Lowes. Funny thats not what is posted here on the board. Some how your question was not included here. Hummm. I bought it at Home Depot but both carry the same stuff.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
CC69Rat

Yeah.. I edited it. . Duh moment.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
RestoreAmerica

I put some of this on the floor of my cab today. I think it is a good material for underlayment.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also put in some new tunes. First off I got the AM radio working again.
Next I took some powered Boston computer speakers like these that I have not used in years

[IMG][/IMG]

they require 12 volt. I cut the power cord and supplied 12 volt from my battery. I ran the supplied port that would normally plug into the computer under the floor mat and into the back of the ashtray. I can plug my phone into that and have a nice sound system that didn't cost me any out of pocket money. To instal I just zip tied the small speakers to the seat bracket and have the bass speaker under the seat facing the front of the truck.

Last edited by RestoreAmerica; 06-20-2016 at 09:37 PM.
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

I used the Frost King for sound deadening. I put it in the cab all the way up to the dash and all the way back behind the gas tank. I put it inside the doors too. I also added a layer on top of the Frost King of foil backed bubble wrap roofing insulation on the floor as a heat barrier. Then I put some black material made for speaker boxes on the areas that would be in sight.

It made an incredible difference. My doors shut with a thud instead of a clank, my stereo sounds better and louder, and with the windows up I can have a conversation or phone call at normal volumes.

I have a 5.5/7 drop, so my exhaust is tucked up into the frame. My feet used to get pretty hot, now I don't even notice any heat.

It's a time consuming chore, but we'll worth it. I'm sure it will help a ton when I get my aftermarket A/C in too.
Attached Images

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
RestoreAmerica

Yes I put the frost king on the entire floor also. The picture only shows one strip on the firewall. I wanted to get a picture of the floor prior to covering it to verify that the surface below it was restored.

Nice job on your installation Skip and very nice truck!
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
ksshane

Oh, I like it.

I just put my carpet in last weekend, but at this point its really just laying in place so that I could mark and cut my holes for the shifter and bolts and such.
Looks like Ill be pulling it back out and doing this next weekend.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreAmerica View Post
Yes I put the frost king on the entire floor also. The picture only shows one strip on the firewall. I wanted to get a picture of the floor prior to covering it to verify that the surface below it was restored.

Nice job on your installation Skip and very nice truck!
I figured you did! I forgot to say the same thing about your truck.....what a beauty you got there. The paint looks perfect.

I forget where I got the idea about the roofing bubble wrap idea, but it made a big difference in heat from the firewall and floor. There was the original jute pads on the firewall and the PO had a sound/heat underlayment I've seen in LMC catalogs installed on the floor that I removed. I'm sure it was better than nothing, but it's just night and day difference now. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience driving it.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote