The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
jec

Axle Bolts Wanted

Does anyone know where I can get the factory corporate axle bolts for an eight (8) lug rearend as shown in the picture below?? They are just 1/2"-20 x 1.37" long but I want the factory style.

Name:  Axle_Bolts_1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  Axle_Bolts_3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  13.8 KB

I need at least twelve (12) of them.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by ETsC10; 04-17-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: removed WTB
jec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
jec

Re: Axle Bolts Wanted

Again guy's, these are on my Longhorn 1 ton C30 Rear Axles. You can see them when looking at the bolt cirlce on the rear tires.

I think someone once told me they were made by Rockwell.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
jec

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Name:  rear_wheel.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  37.8 KB

Last edited by ETsC10; 04-17-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: revoved WTB
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
71Dually

I was thinking the exact same thing today about where to get them.

Definitely stick with "the factory style" fastener, they are called "Place" bolts. There is a reason the factory used them on the axle shaft flange/hub assemblies. By design they are self locking bolts, I "borrowed" the following design explanation from Aetna Screws website.

Quote:
There are six slots on the top, a recessed center, and an undercut at the base of the head that meets the shoulder. This design creates an elasticity, so that when torqued down, the head distorts and maintains a pre-set clamp load under very adverse conditions.
However some applications may also have lock washers. I have 2 Eaton HO72 Full Float axles, one has lock washers on these bolts, one doesn't.

The GM illustrated parts catalogue shows lock plates and lock washers in their different "typical" labeled illustrations of these Axle Shaft/Full Floating Hub installations. However the "typical" illustrations do not mean lock plates or washers originally came on your application. I have seen place bolts installed on lots of assemblies (especially Ford engine intake manifolds, water pumps and engine brackets). I've seen place bolts with and without lock washers over the last 40 years. I suspect most lock washers may have been added at a later time, perhaps by someone who may have not understood the "self locking" design of these bolts.

The Eaton axle I have with the lock washers shows evidence on the rear wheel hub oil deflector and the brake backing plate that at one time a hub assembly came off. These axle shaft flange place bolts would not have had anything to do with a full floating hub coming loose, rather the hub nuts and hub nut locks behind the axle flange would. I suspect the lock washers may have been added to this axle when the hub repair was made. I know the flange bolts were messed with as the flange gasket/shim was missing and the flange/hub was sealed with lots of grey RTV. With all that "silly" cone it looked to be substandard workmanship, in my opinion anyway, probably why the hub fell off in the first place.

On an extra side note: The addition of these lock washers on a bolt not originally equipped could also affect the bolts effective thread grip range and weaken or damage the assembly attachment. I think that's a good way to leave oneself stranded with a snapped axle or sheared axle flange bolts.

Sorry for the rant, I really dislike poor workmanship and the tremendous hazards and extraneous work it causes. Meanwhile back to your question.

My thoughts on where to get the bolts are dealer, AMK Fasteners (https://www.amkproducts.com/default.htm), the normal truck vendors Brothers, LMC etc..., refurbish used ones from the junk yard or buy aftermarket.

Heres some links to a few suppliers:
http://www.aetnascrew.com/placebolts.htm
http://www.wilsongarner.com/
http://www.chandlerproducts.com/place_bolts.htm
http://www.trinitylogisticsgroup.com...lace_Bolts.pdf
https://www.earnestmachine.com/produ...-type-aa/15684
https://www.earnestmachine.com/produ...-type-aa/15683

Some of the above links may be bulk suppliers but its a start.

Please verify your bolt size. The bolts in your pictures look to be 1/2"-13. 1/2"-20 is a fine thread, the bolts in my axles are 1/2"-13 course thread like the ones in your pictures. Also, how are you measuring your bolts? Are you measuring the total length or from the hex head base to the threaded bolt end? The industry standard is measured from the hex head base to the bolt end. The bolts you have pictured appear to be 1" bolts as they have 13 threads.

Good luck
1972 Ford Ranchero GT 351C-2V C6
1974 Honda XL-350
Member of the "6 C's and a D" 1-Ton Fun Club!

Last edited by 71Dually; 04-18-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Add bolt size question
71Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the factory corporate axle bolts for an eight (8) lug rearend as shown in the picture below?? They are just 1/2"-20 x 1.37" long but I want the factory style.

I need at least twelve (12) of them.

Thanks in advance.
Are you looking for new ones or just a set of good used ones?
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
jec

Rechecked the five (5) original bolts and yes they are coarse thread 1/2-13-1 3/16" long. There is about a 1/8" shoulder with no threads near the head.

Good catch 71Dually!!

I am measuring from under the head to the end of the bolt. You know, like all normal mechanics and hardware clerks would do. Just kidding, I can understand why it seemed like I was lost since I said 20 threads, instead of, 13. I hav always thought it was odd that they were coarse thread since most critical applictions are fine thread.

I would take good used or new depending on $$. I will check the provided links but if anybody's got'em lets hear about it.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
southern parts

I might have some of these . I parted a few one tons last year and threw all the bolts into a 5 gal. bucket. if I get time and weather permitting, I`ll check tomorrow. Woody
southern parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
southern parts

here you are. I found all 16 of them. $20 shipped in a small flat rate box.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
southern parts

I`ll bet a picture would help.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
The Grinnin Possum

Here is where anyone else can find this bolt if needed in the future.

1/2 x 13 x 1.25 place bolt
item number 030-8538 Caterpillar equipment.

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/030-8538