The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
C10 - C90 Bill

Wiper Re-Fills !! ??

OK, I've been buying and using Wiper Re-Fills to fit original type Trico and Anco Blades for about 45 years now and just bought another set about 3 or 4 years ago with no problem, but recently just went to buy another set to fit my original Trico Blades on my '72-C-10 no one has what I am looking for.

My "Real" parts store does not have them anymore and can't even order them. Advance has some "Break to Fit" Re-Fills that won't fit right (width wise) and NAPA brought out a set that were too narrow.

I even called Trico in Texas (the ones who actually made them in the first place) and he wasn't even sure what I have.

Now this is something that everyone used to have and now half the people can't get them and the other half don't even know what I'm talking about.

I even tried LMC and they have a non-original "Blade Replacement"

What are you all using to keep your original truck all original?

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Wiper Re-Fills !! ??

The sales have fallen off so much so that most DIY autohouses no longer carry them and the ones that do are phasing them out. Numerous online companies still carry them. I recently got a few sets from Amazon.com. Search for: Federal Mogul U-15R Anco Premium Wiper Blade Refill.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

Appreciate the info. I just researched it and they look correct.

They are Anco's but will they fit the original Trico Blades as well?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
71Dually

The U-15R Anco refills are correct and yes, they fit my original 1971 C30 Trico blades. Your Trico's should be the same as mine.

I have been buying refills for about the same period of time. I still buy them to this day but they are getting harder to find.

The following is my experience and understanding of the subject.

Please note: The following is for entertainment only. It is my cynical, long winded, anti-corporate rant. While it does contain pertinent information on wiper blade refills (and auto parts in general) it is possible that it could still be considered a rant and if it sounds like it, then it just might be. It is not a personal attack on any person, place or thing, any individual or other type of entity, opinion or belief, past, present or future. I am not trying to be a troll or incite negativity or anger in the forum membership or elicit improper communication. I am merely stating my observations and opinions and in my own quirky little way throwing in a little educational entertainment regarding the availability of wiper refills. If you would like please disregard the following. It has no real bearing on the essence of the OP's question previously answered in my first sentence above.

Apologies to all, let the distraction begin.

Profit is greater on the full blades compared to the refills, thats why the stores sell the whole blades. The profit in a volume corporate retail store on complete blades is currently around $7-$8 each. It's been my observation that one normally has to buy two blades for the vehicle. The profit on refills is about $5 a set. If you buy 2 complete blades that's a profit of $14-$16 or an increase of $9-$11 profit on each sale over a comparable refill sale.

The profits gained from product markups are utilized to pay lease costs, utilities, transportation, labor, taxes and additional circumstantial costs in the operation of such business. It also provides a return to investors and provides new record quarterly profits for the business. It's all about money not availability.

So, how do you use your investment to manipulate your record returns?

The sale of blade assemblies vs. refills started sometime around the mid '80's into the early '90's. Prior to that it was pretty much only refills. When this all started refills were about $3 and full replacement wiper arm blades were about $8. Around 2004 the refills were no longer being displayed in the same aisle along side the blades at the stores I patronized. Today, consumers have very likely become acclimated to purchasing whole blades rather than refills so more full blades are sold. The current cost for cheap blades is what?, about $14 a pop each, refills are about $9 a pair. That's a $28 sale over a $9 sale. Which sale looks better to the bean counters, corporate officers and ultimately the investors?

Eventually with the fall off in refill blade sales the manufacturers will stop distributing them as they are not being sold. They only manufacture and distribute what sells. They are still out there but are getting difficult to acquire in the traditional manner. Speaking of manufacturers, they make more money on complete blade units over refills also. Will refills still even be available in 10 years?

So, should I ask myself if there really is any truth to a conspiracy theory?

Out of my comfortable element on a rainy day I got back into my zone with some Anco refills a couple months ago. Now I'm an educated consumer but while in my local retailer I still had to ask at the counter as the refills were not in the aisle. After the counter person looked up my 1971 Chevy C30 with the 402 7.4 Litre V8, TH400, PS, PB, A/C and dual rear wheel truck on the computer they headed for the full blade aisle. (why do power brakes have anything to do with wiper blade application anyways, vacuum powered wiper motors haven't been used since at least, what, 1966). Anyway I had to stop them and tell them I wanted refills. The counter person quickly turned around, tapped a few more computer keys, answered the phone, woke up the computer from its sleep to recheck the part number and then headed straight for the back of the store. My local store keeps the refills in the back, hidden out of sight. It's a lot easier to sell customers what they see if they are unaware that less expensive alternatives are available.

Needless to say with all this history behind us, today at this point the standard has moved to replace the entire blade assembly and lots of consumers are not even aware that refills are available at a substantially lower cost. With close personal observations the sales staff appear to consistently direct customers to the complete blades even if they do have the refills. This could be a result of directions out of the corporate office seeking higher sales figures.

I went to get some refills at Manny, Moe and Joe and they told me they stopped selling them because people didn't know how to correctly install them and they were being sued excessively for damaged windshields. That sounded fishy to me, more like the old dog/homework excuse rather than a real legitimate reason. Can it be called corporate coverup or am I just shopping at Pavlov's Parts?

So, do those cash register bells really toll for me or am I now acclimated to toiling for the bell?

Corporate retail stores only stock what sells, and what sells quickly. Eventually they'll stop stocking the slow moving refills as they are only selling the faster moving complete blades. Of course the new blades won't accept refills unless I fiddle with them, so once I've fallen into the trap and bought the whole blade gizmo and discard the originals Oh how lucky I am, I get to keep buying those more expensive products far into my future. That's how corporate officers can afford vacation homes and Bentley's on my dime.

When I bought my truck it had them plastic replacement full blades, perhaps due to this corporate training regimen on my trucks PO. I was lucky to find a set of original stainless Trico wipers in the junk yard and felt very fortunate to acquire the set for $10. That was one reason why I was able to purchase the refills a few months back.

Quality customer service is still alive but is becoming quite rare. I really miss the customer service that used to be provided as part of the purchase by the small independent retailers. Now a days if the part is not stocked in the retailers corporate warehouse they won't order it, even if you have a manufacturer, part number, original packaging and a even a maanufacturers phone number. If it's not in the computer, the retailer won't even order it. Even if they sell other parts by the very same manufacturer, they just tell you it's not available. Ask me how I know that one for another entertaining rant. Sorry for, and please excuse my cynicism if possible. I don't believe that all retailers are like this. But for any retailer it is still about the money (it has to be to stay in business).

So, shall I continue to masochistically salivate or can I really be educated between the lines to modify my behavior?

Absolutely no pain or drooling behavior allowed, freedom is spending my money where I am most gratified. If I find a retailer that will do whatever it takes to help me, their customer, and they get me the parts I need at a fair price, then I'm sticking with them. I usually know who those retailers are, they are still out there albeit in far fewer numbers than previously known.

So, if a retailer abuses me, I tactfully let them know what I expect for my money. They want what I have to spend, that's why they are in business. If they don't know what I expect then how can they provide it. If they do know what I expect and still fail to provide it there are many more retailers out there willing to help. That's how I find who I want to do business with.

A very wise woman (hi mom) once told me "You will be abused by those you allow to do so." "If you willfully return to them you are condoning their behavior and your granting them permission to continue." "If you leave, calmly tell them why, then you must wait for them to make a choice, If they decide to return they will treat you with due respect and as you desire to be treated"

Am I the customer from hell? Some may say so, some may say no. If necessary, I do let retailers know what I expect, these are the ones whom usually end up on my "do not serve" list, but not always, there are exceptions. Those I faithfully patronize show me they want and deserve my business and properly address my concerns. Providing me the items I seek is a very high priority.

OK, rant over, we return you now to your regularly scheduled topic.

In closing, perhaps I could by a few spare refills now while they are still available. I know I'll need them in the future. If I don't need them all then I'll have some future NOS parts to sell. That is until someone starts harvesting the blades from the arms to install on their originals.
1972 Ford Ranchero GT 351C-2V C6
1974 Honda XL-350
Member of the "6 C's and a D" 1-Ton Fun Club!
71Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
tinlid

Cool Re: Wiper Re-Fills !! ??

I quite agree with your 'rant'. It reminds me that in high school, 50 years ago, I could buy a rebuild kit for a water pump for my 55 Chevy for less then 2 bucks. And it seems like just yesterday that I could walk into the local speed shop and buy a brand new Holley for $98.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
C10 - C90 Bill

71Dually,

Appreciate the additional info.

I also agree with your "rant".

It is also one reason I deal with a "Real" parts store as mentioned above. Not only are we on the same level, we have become good friends (although he was not able to order them through his sources this time).

Thanks again.

Bill

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; 05-07-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
C10 - C90 Bill

Update:

Called my "Real" parts store back and gave him the Federal Mogul U-15R Anco part number.

I've got some on the way!

Thanks y'all.

Bill
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
DreamRyder1963

Advance sells whole blades that are exact matches from Trico. They are only $7 ea. I have used the refills and they are not worth the time.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Katrina/10

Good rant. I feel your wiper refill pain.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Daner

If I remember right RockAuto.com has the trico classic wiper blade things.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Whenever you run across parts for these trucks that you know are getting scarce (like NOS deluxe marker lights from your chevy dealer) buy all that you can afford, there is always a market for them here on the board.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Oreillys sells wiper blade refills, ive used them before, but i have not compared them to an original blade.

From the parts counter guy side of things, people need, not want, us to install their blades. Full blades are easier to swap than just the refills, because a majority of my retail customers cant even install their own blades, refills would just blow their minds.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts_restoration View Post
Oreillys sells wiper blade refills, ive used them before, but i have not compared them to an original blade.

From the parts counter guy side of things, people need, not want, us to install their blades. Full blades are easier to swap than just the refills, because a majority of my retail customers cant even install their own blades, refills would just blow their minds.
I have to agree with that. All too many people want the "simple way out" and either don't know enough or are too lazy to want to put a bit of extra effort in doing something as simple as swapping wiper blade refills.

I rebuild my own starters and alternators and the parts guys usually look at me like I have three heads when I ask for parts for them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
DreamRyder1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I have to agree with that. All too many people want the "simple way out" and either don't know enough or are too lazy to want to put a bit of extra effort in doing something as simple as swapping wiper blade refills.

I rebuild my own starters and alternators and the parts guys usually look at me like I have three heads when I ask for parts for them.
Most times the refills are also of inferior quality compared to full blades.

With the starters and alternators, it is not cost efficent for us to carry the parts to rebuild them. You can buy one for $30 so it is not realist to rebuild most of them.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRyder1963 View Post
Advance sells whole blades that are exact matches from Trico. They are only $7 ea. I have used the refills and they are not worth the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRyder1963 View Post
Most times the refills are also of inferior quality compared to full blades.
I have some doubt that they will be "Exactly" like my original '72 Trico's but I will be willing to check them out the next time I'm a store that sells them.

I can switch out the Re-Fills in about 5 minutes.

Also, I usually get about 4 years out of my Re-Fills and I'm OK with that.

Bill
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
DreamRyder1963

I ordered a set in for a '63 vette show car a while back and the owner was thrilled. The visually matched his and the ones on my truck and corvair. These blades are made by Trico specifically for classic vehicles.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
C10 - C90 Bill

I got my Re-Fills yesterday and installed them soon after. Just like the old days, they fit just fine. With my regular discount, they were $5.29 for the Pair, plus tax. I called my parts store back and ordered some extras.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bill

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; 05-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
darush01

I don't think ill sell them yet but I must be on a gold mine, my dad used to own an auto accessories shop actually 3 of them and now I have about 4 boxes full of these refills and they are not dry rotted of damaged at all
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i agree i used refills alot since i started driving in 98 i never had a problem with them it amazing that people can't pop on a wiper blade or change a tire it should be a licence requirement (if driver is able). even as said about starters and alternators i always get them rebuilt at a local small town electric shop i never buy new ones if it fits good and the starter is nice and quiet i keep it instead of fooling with trying to shim junk. i also deal with a non chain store auto part store it's amazing the difference. I talk like i'm old only 32 but alot has changed in my lifetime already.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
truckdude239

fiound this thread the ur-15 number is good i crossed it at advance auto parts which comes to a trico 43-150 refill my commercial cost was 4.25 there local dc had 3 sets so i ordered all of them theres 2 refills to a pack

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #21
cheyenne shortstep

The current state of auto parts stores is so very frustrating to me I am usually steaming mad by the time I find what I'm looking for. I had to drive 3 cities away to get a 3510 starter a couple weeks ago, even after calling ahead to O'Rielly and Autozone and asking them to physically check stock. When I got there [both stores] I was presented with a starter for a manual trans. At both places I was also told that said starter was for an automatic trans according to the computer, I was given a blank stare when I showed them the difference between what they had and my core. At both stores no one at either had a clue what they were looking at, they asked me what the difference was and one guy kept telling me they were the same. Recently at O'Rielly I was trying to get a base gasket for a Quadra-Jet and when I tried to tell the snot nosed kid behind the counter that he needed to look it up according to the carb # he sneered and said "you don't know what your talking about, they are all the same".
Wiper blades have also been a cause of frustration as they want to sell me the whole replacement and tell me they are way better, not for me as I don't want that plastic crap on my truck. Thanks for the info on the F.M. UR15, I am going to order a few sets even though I don't need them right now.
Unfortunately there are no more "real" independent parts stores in my area, at least not within a 20+ mile radius.
That is MY rant thanks for reading.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
Joesjunk

My local oriellys stocks them, I just bought 2 sets yesterday
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote