The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

LFX V6 swap.

I couldn't sleep a few nights ago, and was scanning eBay for engine swap for my K20 in a few years. So I came across the LFX engine, and it got me thinking. The LFX is the direct injection engine in the new Camaro, and CTS. It's 300hp stock, and could be worth 330hp with a tune plus bolt-ons. Plus it has. 7500rpm redline, and a 6 speed auto. Plus since the heads have the exhaust built in a turbo build could be easier on the budget.

A low mileage one is about $1200 complete.

6 speed transmission $900.

So I sent a email inquiry to a seller for a complete swap kit, and got a quote for $2500 shipped. I guess they don't sell many. Since most people want the easy to fit, and more powerfull LS engine series.

I don't know if I could make it work in my 4x4, but it could be loads of fun in a rcsb with loads of suspension goodies. Plus knock down great mpg so road trips won't kill the bank.

I could not find specs on the physical size of the engine, but it has to be pretty big being a dohc. Does anyone know where to find the outside dimensions?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: LFX V6 swap.

Are you sure that motor produces enough toque for a heavy truck? It seem like a good application for a light car like a Chevy Monza
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
cableguy0

You will end up disappointed. The hp numbers look good but that means nothing in a heavy 4wd truck. High rpm engines aren't the ticket. You will never spin it hard enough to get it to make power where you need it in a 4wd.The mpg numbers you see them making in the cars they came out of will not be possible in a 4wd truck with the aerodynamics of a brick. You would be way ahead just doing an Ls swap. The costs of the swap will be about the same. The Ls is a lot cheaper and more reliable in the long run. The ls has proven itself to be a reliable powerhouse and cheaply upgraded for tons of power. Instead of adding a turbo to a v6 to maybe get 450hp if you turbo the ls your in the 6-700hp neighborhood on pump gas.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

No clue about the size, but those motors run CANBUS type ECM systems, so its more than the regular "harness and tune" swaps. Building your own fueling system at 2200+psi is also a tad more stringent, in terms of line sizing, thickness, pump requirements etc.

DI motors have been hot rodded into a few things, but many of the undertakings have been "large" projects.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
No clue about the size, but those motors run CANBUS type ECM systems, so its more than the regular "harness and tune" swaps. Building your own fueling system at 2200+psi is also a tad more stringent, in terms of line sizing, thickness, pump requirements etc.

DI motors have been hot rodded into a few things, but many of the undertakings have been "large" projects.
I thought the LFX had a HP fuel pump like the LT1 series engines on the engine feed by a regular fuel pump so that part would be easy enough.

As for the Canbus set-up. Is it more tied into the chassis harness, and that simply makes it a hard swap. Or could it be cut down by a professional with a re-tune. That I probably could not do with HP tuners?

What other engines use this set-up? Does the new style LT1 use it. That way I can read up on it to see if it possible.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Are you sure that motor produces enough toque for a heavy truck? It seem like a good application for a light car like a Chevy Monza
If I leave deep factory gears in my truck "4.11's" it will probably be just as fast as a dead stock 350, but have more top end pull. Add in a wide ratio TH350, and it will have plenty of hustle. It might be good with towing as a stock 350, or at all, but it should tow enough to make my life interesting enough. Plus be easier on fuel off-road, and maybe even on the road in general especially highway.

It is all bench racing right now as I decide on future plans for my truck that effect the purchases of today.

I could not use the 6 speed in my 4x4 with out major changes, but I think it would be fun in a 2wd. Add in some deeper gear with the 6 speed, and it would be a awesome combo for the price with practically no miles on the engine.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

I like projects that are off the beaten path. I wouldn't do something like this myself (I am old-school and prefer V8s), but I respect someone who does!

Keep in mind that Ford is getting 420 lbs-ft out of their 3.5L Ecoboost V6 engines in the F150. That's plenty to move a truck around. So yeah, a boosted V6, set up right, could kick arse. Would the LFX last, well that's a different story.

Do I think you can fab it up, I don't see why not. The same engine compartment on the Camaro and Caprice PPV (and other Holden RWD platforms), which have both V6 and V8 options at their disposal, share the same footprint. The electrical would be a big unknown... lots of tuners for the V8 engines (LS et al, L76, L77). Might be more sparse for the V6 side of things. Troll the Caprice PPV and Camaro forums -- especially those with V6s, you may find some tuners who know where to get custom programs.

Or get your hands on a LF3. Twin turbo. Then your work will be done.
http://gmpowertrain.com/2014_images/...adillacxts.jpg

You may have to be the pioneer on this journey, but if you do make it work, please share your findings.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 09-15-2014 at 03:01 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote