The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
grs

Tired of liars.

I have been looking for a P235/70R15 used tire. I called a shop yesterday. They said they had one. I took a 30 minute drive today to buy it. When I got there I was told they did not have one. They also told me they did not have one yesterday. Why can't people tell the truth?
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Tired of liars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
I have been looking for a P235/70R15 used tire. I called a shop yesterday. They said they had one. I took a 30 minute drive today to buy it. When I got there I was told they did not have one. They also told me they did not have one yesterday. Why can't people tell the truth?
bate and switch, get cha' in the door and sale ya on something different.
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
bate and switch, get cha' in the door and sale ya on something different.
Yea one tried to sell me a tire that was to big. Then they say they have a new one. Well I don't want a new one laying in the bed of my truck.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

I'm with you. I just spent the better part of a month looking for a used truck, mainly searching on craigslist, and I had my time and fuel wasted time and again.

Ideally, I wanted a '74 or earlier domestic (due to Portland, OR emissions) with a six-cylinder, three-on-the-tree long bed and 2wd, though I considered anything 1/2, 3/4, or one-ton, 2 or 4WD, panel, 'burb, crew, super, etc...

The amount of utter BS people fed me was unreal. I must've looked at 50 different trucks, and in several instances, the pictures on CL weren't the same truck. "Runs great" could mean anything from a rod-knock to "it hasn't ran in 30 years." "Three-speed manual" meant automatic, or a used SM420 in the bed. "Needs TLC" meant "totaled."

In one instance, the seller said "no title" and wanted to meet in the parking lot of a Vancouver, WA shopping mall. At night. I left that one alone...

A large part of why I ended up buy my '74 GMC was the integrity of the gentleman selling it. He sent me pictures of everything I asked for, and was totally upfront about what the truck needed, where it'd been, why it was for sale, and so forth. He seemed very relaxed and not in the slightest bit pushy or shady. We met at his home, and conducted a proper transaction.

I pride myself on full disclosure when I sell a used vehicle, and I guess karma finally paid me back, since there's been no surprises with this truck, nor do I expect any. I have no clue why people can't simply be upfront about parts, vehicles, etc. We're all in this (sometimes frustrating) hobby/lifestyle together, so why not treat others as you'd like to be treated?

What comes around goes around, at least in my experience.

Last edited by Oregoon; 11-23-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoon View Post
I'm with you. I just spent the better part of a month looking for a used truck, mainly searching on craigslist, and I had my time and fuel wasted time and again.

Ideally, I wanted a '74 or earlier domestic (due to Portland, OR emissions) with a six-cylinder, three-on-the-tree long bed and 2wd, though I considered anything 1/2, 3/4, or one-ton, 2 or 4WD, panel, 'burb, crew, super, etc...

The amount of utter BS people fed me was unreal. I must've looked at 50 different trucks, and in several instances, the pictures on CL weren't the same truck. "Runs great" could mean anything from a rod-knock to "it hasn't ran in 30 years." "Three-speed manual" meant automatic, or a used SM420 in the bed. "Needs TLC" meant "totaled."

In one instance, the seller said "no title" and wanted to meet in the parking lot of a Vancouver, WA shopping mall. At night. I left that one alone...

A large part of why I ended up buy my '74 GMC was the integrity of the gentleman selling it. He sent me pictures of everything I asked for, and was totally upfront about what the truck needed, where it'd been, why it was for sale, and so forth. He seemed very relaxed and not in the slightest bit pushy or shady. We met at his home, and conducted a proper transaction.

I pride myself on full disclosure when I sell a used vehicle, and I guess karma finally paid me back, since there's been no surprises with this truck, nor do I expect any. I have no clue why people can't simply be upfront about parts, vehicles, etc. We're all in this (sometimes frustrating) hobby/lifestyle together, so why not treat others as you'd like to be treated?

What comes around goes around, at least in my experience.
Is there a law against false advertisement? These people should go to jail.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
clemdaddy

What comes around goes around, at least in my experience.[/QUOTE]

right on! ... do unto others as you would, mentality. with ya bro.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Craigslist is one of the best places for scam imop....I've had several occasions where scammers tried to send me false checks....I've been finding that Ebay seems to be a safer place. Had good luck there so far...mainly keeping an eye on the sellers points. I had one instance where I was selling a carb, Brand new used...meaning it only had Maybe 40 miles put on it....Guy shows interest...offers full price....then comes out to my house and tries to tell me he doesn't have enough cash on him to give me the full price...so then he tries to talk me down almost $100 bucks...Needless to say...I told the guy that there were several banks 2 miles away....and that it wouldn't be to hard for him to drive his $55,000 dodge challer srt8 to one and pull some cash. Funny how people making 100K plus a year act like they don't have a nickel...then they walk away all ticked off cause you didn't sell it to them for a 1/4 of your price...not happening with me.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Slow Build

Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are lying or just stupid.

When I was looking for a truck I drove 75 miles to check out a 65 Chevy C10 short bed fleet side listed on CR. When the garage door opened I was staring at a long bed. I told him that it was a long bed. He said "no, a long bed would have an eight foot bed". I just walked up to it, spread my arms, put my left hand on the tailgate, put my right hand on the side of the bed and said, "six feet". Then I pointed at the area left between my right hand and the front of the bed and said, "eight feet". Without another word I turned around and walked away, jumped in my car and drove away.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
C/10 King

About 15 years ago I called a guy about a 1954 Chevy he had for sale in the paper, he told me it was a Bel-air 2 door hardtop and that "he knew the difference", well he straight out lied about the make and model over the phone because when I got there it was a 4 door 210 sedan, I drove the 40 miles to go look at it I asked him why he lied to me......he said that he was sure I would like it once I saw it. I didn't like it, I didn't buy it and I told him I wanted to burn his house down!.........Well, I wanted to tell him that.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
These people should go to jail.
I assume they've been there already.

That said, I wish they'd wind up on the receiving end of one the so-called deals they offer... I'd rather they bust a knuckle and then pull an empty wallet from their pocket. That's what they do to others, and in a perfect world, that's what they'd encounter.

I learned this stuff the hard way. I bought some overpriced garbage as a young guy, and I vowed to never repeat the cycle.

I haven't, and I won't.

You buy from me, you get total honesty. It's not worth anyone's time to offer junk and lies.

I sincerely hope people take the high road. A few extra dishonest C-notes aren't worth the the retribution the universe/god/karma/luck/etc will collect.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
YBNORML

Up here 67-72 short boxes are incredibly hard to find. I answered an ad for one that was 7-1/2 hrs away from me. When I called the seller I told him that the only thing I was after was the frame and was it in good shape. I pulled in the parking lot and from 100' ft away I could see that the frame horns were bent. It was probably quite fixable, but I was so pissed that I just pointed it out to him, told him he was a dick, got back in my truck and drove away.

I really wish that local online selling sites had a rating system like eBay does.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #12
grs

I like the statement. It ran when parked. They don't say how well it ran.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
TheCougarine

We have a local group on FB thats a buy/sell/trade type of thing thats original idea was to keep people from having to deal with those craigslist buyers but its gotten to be as bad if not worse. People wasting others time is the biggest thing. I had a guy try to trade me a rc car for a set of wheels one time and the thing didn't even run. He could not understand why I was not interested, it was kinda hilarious actually
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #14
thepenguin99

At least it was only a tire. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461433
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
supercharged

I am with you guys. I have never understood what these folks have to gain by lying. Do they actually think that once you have driven way out of your way to see their junk- that you will just go ahead and buy what they have?

I would like to just pass it off that they are just that stupid, but the truth is probably they are just that dishonest.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

When that happens to me, they don't get a 2nd chance. I will tell everyone I know not to go there either.

I have a great small tire shop nearby for new and used tires. They are the best! I will never go to a chain tire store again! They are all rip off's!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote