The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
rickpilgrim

Obd2 scanner thoughts

Back when OBD2 came out we had to give up the jumper wire and get serious about diagnosis. Here I am $25K later and another $1800 will get us updated to 2015 specs.
First was the sub $100 code readers. These are ok for giving you an idea what's wrong but that's it. At least you could feel ok about throwing it when it led you in the wrong direction. Those lasted from 96-98 or so.
After that I bought Accutron. These do a much better job and can stream data but for $500-600 we paid I expected that. The ability to watch live data and see the fuel trim and ign timing and all sensor data is very useful and enlightening. Still not perfect but better than just seeing code. That took us to 2008.
The Snap On Modus was next. Now we could read and record live data,even save data for comparison later. Testing of individual components, multi step testing, oscilloscope operations allowing you to see the wave form the sensors are imputing to the ecm and more, plus blue tooth to printer and much more very nice but around $5021.00 for us and $1500 updates to stay current.
In 2013 we updated to Snap On Solus, we were offer $1500 for trade on our Modus but seeing we had just done a $1500 update we took the $7500 deal without trade. Multi channel scanning and O scope is very usefull on newer things like my suburban, ability to extract ecm data without scanning and Bluetooth to this I Phone and printer and if your vehicle has any Bluetooth the cord to connect the adl is no longer needed. We can read and see the waveforms the ecm is reading from any sensor on screen with just the adl cord, and on any pre 2013 vehicle it can be used in place of the ecm to operate the vehicle. Multi scope inputs and outputs, we have it slaved to my 42" smart TV in the shop. Very nice but here we are needing a $1800 update again.

What have you used So far?
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
woodchk502

Re: Obd2 scanner thoughts

I'm a wrench at home guy, so no need for much of what you described here. Mostly just need the ability to pull and clear codes so my old Auto X-ray gets the job done on anything 2004 and older.
woodchk502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
rickpilgrim

I have an 2 auto X-Rays, a model 5000 and a 6000 I would sell as we don't use them anymore as they were about the same as the accutrons. They are good for codes and watching data but that's about it. When the abs system comes on at low speed on dry pavement they are useless, where the snap on Solus can monitor all three or 4 sensors and pinpoint which sensor is causing it, store that data for later review. It also has a repair manual built in ( similar to a Mitchel Repair) with step by step and photos and torque specs on how to repair it. That was one reason we got away from the basic code scanners. Plus with 14 vehicles in service ranging from 1986 to 2008 the ability to either diagnose the ESC on the 86 or the BCM on the 2008 we needed something better.
In the sub $500.00 market auto x ray is a fine unit and used correctly is a good unit
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
What have you used So far?
I used to own a Modis & Solus Pro, The Snap-On software updates are a form of Extortion in my opinion.

I also found a lot of holes in their software that Snap-On will do nothing about....At least 'till a new "Version" is released that they will gladly charge you full price for.....Even though the holes are in functional test for vehicles that my software is suppose to cover, Sold both their Scanners before they lost any more value.

What I now use & couldn't be happier.

Snap-On MT2500 "Brick", Updated to '07...Last update for the MT2500. Young Tech's like to poke fun at it... I tell them it has diagnosed more cars than they have ever worked on

GM Tech 2, Updated to '13, Last update that will be available from GM for the Tech 2, Bought it new in 2000, Has made me more money than any Scan tool I have ever owned, Unlocking radios, & Configuring BCM's alone has paid for the tool.

Snap-On Vantage Pro Oscilloscope, At work...Didn't get any pics.

Sun LS2000 Oscilloscope, Despite it's age, It works very well.

I mainly work on GM vehicles/powertrain so the Tech 2 has me covered for a couple years, Probably going laptop with PC based software.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
rickpilgrim

The Snap-On software updates are a form of Extortion in my opinion

I definitely agree with you on this. For what your paying for a new or used unit off the truck updates should be more complete and reasonably priced. The only reason we got the snap on equipment is our yard business takes care of his 2 properties.
There is no replacement for the Sun O-scope, but slaving the Solus to the 42" smart TV in the shop is close. I wonder if I will ever learn all the things you can do with a Modus or Solus. BTW- nothing wrong with the Brick, like you said 2007 is about it and unfortunately up here in the land of rust we have to buy newer more complex vehicles.
The more I look into this I believe you are on the right track going pc based. We don't do a lot( maybe 35 a yr)of diagnosis for everyone else and although a good tax write off it gets expensive real quick
Old 12-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
truckster

Even for us simple home-garage mechanics the PC-based is the way to go. I have a module that connects to the diagnostic port and gives me most of the real-time data.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Even for us simple home-garage mechanics the PC-based is the way to go. I have a module that connects to the diagnostic port and gives me most of the real-time data.
I just don't know how a laptop will hold up in a professional shop environment.
A MT2500 can be ran over with a car & dropped in antifreeze & still work.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I just don't know how a laptop will hold up in a professional shop environment.
A MT2500 can be ran over with a car & dropped in antifreeze & still work.
I'm not sure what my friend uses (he's got all the Snap-On and other stuff as well) but I think if I recall it's based on a Toughbook. It has a plastic cover over the keyboard to keep oil and dirt off the keys. And to be honest with you, I couldn't even guess what percentage he uses the PC versus the other half-dozen or so scanners he's got.

I do like the fact that, for less than $100, I got the hardware to interface with the OBDII and the software to run it. But it definitely has limitations. I discovered that when I was trying to set up a distributor using the CMP Retard Offset on a Vortec engine. That's just one of the many variables it doesn't read. (That's where my friend's Snap-On was very helpful.) For the home mechanic, I think it's a step up from the scanners available at the parts stores. But you're right that my Dell wouldn't take kindly to being run over with a car or dropped in antifreeze.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Bigdav160

I've used several of the OE laptop based scanners. No issues with the Panasonic toughbook.

The snapon scanners, I think, are getting a little long in the tooth. I do like their scope but how often do you need to use that feature? I can't agree more on the update cost. Like Mitchell On Demand you're paying them to backdoor engineering everything.

Does anyone have a Autel MS908? We bought one last year when it came out. I've been very impressed.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote