The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
gordyzx9r

Just got a 1970 Chevy C10

I had a '72 in high school and have always wanted another one...my father stumbled across this one at a swap meet in CA. Price started around $6500 and wound up at $4500. He called me and asked if it was worth it and I said I'd buy it if I was there...so he says "I'll take it". Apparently I bought a new old truck, lol.

1970 Chevy C10 CE10934

BX2: B SIDE MLDG-WIDE LWR
DG4: W/C MIRROR-JR-LH&RH
F59: FRT STABILIZER EQUIP
G80: POSITRAC AXLE
LS9: 350 CU. IN. V-8 ENG
NA9: EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL
U63: RADIO - PUSH BUTTON
V01: HEAVY-DUTY RADIATOR
Z53 Amp Oil Temp Gauge
521 WHITE
B85: BODY SIDE MOULDING (UPPER)
F51: FRT&REAR SHOCK ABS
G50: H.D. REAR SPRING
J70: BRAKE BOOSTER EQ
M20: 4 SPD TRANSMISSION
N40: POWER STEERING
VK2: TOOL AND STOWAGE BOX or TOOL AND STORAGE BOX
V46: CHROME BUMPER-FRONT
Z62: CUSTOM COMF & CONV EQ
629 OLIVE CUSTOM CLOTH TRK

Far from stock...not even close, but it is very clean. I have no intention of getting it back to stock or putting it in purist form, just going to drive the hell out of it and have some fun in the process.

I don't know anything about it, no idea what the history is, what's in the motor...etc.

The motor appears to have been freshened up and it feels/sounds like it has a bigger cam in it. Runs great. Odometer says 50K...no idea if that is 150K, 250K, or 350K, lol.

Underneath is solid, and I can't find any corrosion on the frame anywhere. The only bit of rust I did find was on the passenger side in the door opening, but it looks like someone did a half ass repair attempt on it. It was repainted god knows when. I'm thinking at least 8, maybe 10 years. I need to see about getting that color matched so I can get some touch up paint for it as there are a couple of pretty big chips and a few nicks here and there. When they repainted it, they did not fill in the holes for the lower body molding.

There is a hole on the driver side bed where at some point someone had installed an auxiliary fuel tank. If I can, I'd rather just fill/seal that hole with a fake gas cap or something. Wasn't a stock option. According to the RPO it was originally white with green interior. Still has the green steering wheel shaft, I'll see about getting that out and spray painting it black.

It had a bunch of goofy decals and skull accessories on it. Someone went a little nuts with the skull accessories from Advanced Auto (skull rear view mirror, skull valve stem covers, skull door lock stems, etc.). Took all that junk off along with the weird decals.

Upcoming projects:
I have a gallon of bed liner coating, so I'll put that on soon.
Shocks (they're shot)
Brakes (drums all around...might see about putting discs up front)
A Lock for that tool/storage box
Needs a new glove box liner
Dome light (no lense or bulb)
Seat belts (someone took out the original seat belts and installed some aftermarket ones, but instead of sewing them at the bottom to hold it together they wrapped a zip tie around it).
Lower body molding (I really don't want anything, but I don't like the idea of those holes being there...and I really don't want that stock molding it came with either. I'm thinking just a thin solid strip of chrome)
Pedals (they put on Advance Auto tuner style pedals...those have to go)
Hood (something is missing, a brace, or support, something...wh en you close it, you have to be very careful and lower it slowly, then go back to each corner near the firewall and press it down into place before you latch down the front)

Some questions:

1. Based off the SPID, was the truck originally white with green interior?
2. What is a Z62: CUSTOM COMF & CONV EQ?
3. LMC Truck and manes the go to places for replacement parts such as the glove box liner, dome light, pedals pads, etc.?
4. I have a gauge doctor near me, so I'm thinking I'll just take the speedometer out and see if they can replace that needle. Or is that something I can do pretty easily?
5. Fuel gauge is not working. Where should I start? Keep in mind, the truck had an auxiliary tank of some kind. It does have a lever in the floor next to the driver's seat but it doesn't look like anything is actually connected to it anymore.
6. Can I get a fake gas cap or something for that hole in the bed? I looked in the LMC catalog and I don't even see parts for the auxiliary tank from '72 (NL2 option?).
7. Is something missing with the hood? A brace or support? Or do I just need to lube the hell out of the springs?
8. What are the two knobs for next to drivers and passengers knees? Just below the dash. Not under the dash, but along the side, at about knee height.
9. When I turn the fan on, what should happen? Because right now, nothing happens...heat works like a champ though. But given the goofy upholstered dash pad I have to wonder how the defrost is going to work.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
gordyzx9r

Re: Just got a 1970 Chevy C10

Some more pics...
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Looks good and a fair price.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Jonlopes

That is a fine looking truck! For that price you did great. The inside of the bed shows that this truck was probably not abused in its life.
The hood looks right, are there still the pads between the braces and the sheet metal?
If the defroster outlets are covered then of course they cannot work. I would just pay the $80 for a new dash pad personally.
The only thing I can think to fix the hole in the bed side (beside having a welder put in some new sheet metal) would be a skull sticker LOL Just kidding.
Just please get rid of that ford blue paint on the engine.

Last edited by Jonlopes; 05-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
WarMonger

Great looking truck. Did you find out what the hole in the side of the bed was for?
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMonger View Post
Great looking truck. Did you find out what the hole in the side of the bed was for?
I am guessing that is where the filler for the aux gas tank went.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
gordyzx9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
I am guessing that is where the filler for the aux gas tank went.
Exactly. Had to of been some kind of aftermarket setup. I need to find a way to plug it without it looking like a hack job. At least until it gets painted and I can have it filled in.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Definitely a nice truck. That was good looking out on your dads part.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
mattfranklin

Nice looking truck and decent price.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote