The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
cplcorndog

Horn wiring bypass

Hello all,

I'm Joseph and I new to the boards, I have read a lot of things on here, but I still have questions so I'll jump to the first one.

I bought a CPP tilt steering column for my 69' c10 and and NRG short hub with quick release and steering wheel. as I was installing the column I broke the plastic piece that sits on top of the turn signal plastic piece that I would assume is used with a factory steering wheel that when pushed will send the relay to the horn (not sure if I still need that), so I located the black horn wire in the column, cut into that and attached that wire to the wire located in the short hub. after putting everything back on, the horn does not work. my question:

Did I do this right? I have no contact plate on the back of this short hub so every video I see or blog i read does not address my set up.

Better question: How can i make my horn work by just wiring directly into the horn wire. Note the hub has all the contacts and wiring to send the relay.

Thank you for any thoughts or help you can provide.
cplcorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
cplcorndog

Re: Horn wiring bypass

Here are a few pictures of what I have going on. The black wire that comes from the steering wheel to the yellow wire in the hub is the horn wire on the column. any advise on how to get this to work?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplcorndog View Post
Better question: How can i make my horn work by just wiring directly into the horn wire. Note the hub has all the contacts and wiring to send the relay.
Not sure what you're asking, are you trying to bypass the relay? Or do you mean hardwiring the two wires without the floating brass contact thingy?

If this is what you mean, no, these trucks are like 10 turns lock to lock and you'd never get a wire to wrap inside there without shorting or breaking or binding.

Methinks you need to get a new plastic horn gizmo and install it as intended; if the wheel is in any way compatible with old GM vehicles, it should all just work. But get the piece, don't try to duct tape your way out of safety items!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
cplcorndog

Thank you for relply, I'm not trying to bypass the relay I'm looking to bypass the plastic thingy that contacts the brass. I'll give cpp a call and see if they can send me a new piece out, I believe your right about this one, so I'll try that and see how it goes. Thank you again.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
cplcorndog

Hello all,

I'm back with a horn still not working. I called CPP and got the plactic contact piece needed for the horn, but still not working. So here is the set up and the problem.

- Picture one is of the column with the contact piece in place before i added the short hub. This is the original set up I believe.

- Picture two is with the short hub installed and the nipple sticking through the provided slot in the short hub. From my understanding the yellow wire hanging down needs to make contact with the silver nipple in the slot. When I try to make the contact All i get is a clicking noise and I can feel the relay under the dash vibrating, but no sound from the horn.

I've tested the relay and horn on a friends truck and they both work, so the issue is somewhere in the connection of the short hub.

Please help.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
cplcorndog

Anyone have any ideas???
Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
88Ironduke

I'm just a little confused about the relay vibrating? If its vibrating and clicking around internally it sounds like its working/actuating... I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. I am going to assume we know the horn and relay ARE operational since they have been slaved into a donor truck and work normally.

I would start with a volt meter, do I get 11/12 volts at the black wire coming from the steering column main connection that connects to the steering wheel hub assembly. If no power there you need to look further back in the wire and look for an open circuit.

If you don't have a volt meter handy ground the circuit at the steering column or another known good ground does the horn go off then or does the relay actuate/vibrate? If it works your horn circuit is good to go. Your problem is at the hub assembly at the steering wheel. Remember your horn relay is ground seeking and all the horn button gives is a ground when pressed.

If the horn fails to operate when manually grounded at the steering wheel look at the connection where the column connects to the body/dash harness. It should be an 18 gauge black with no stripe, manually ground that circuit/check for power back the wire until you hit the relay checking for breaks in the wire. The schematics are posted in this area of the forum and fairly easy to use. If I am wrong I am certain the electrical gods shall advise me as such.
Good luck.
Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote