The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Danny Bost

Advice on a 6.0 swap

I was just given a good running 6.0 out of a 2004 2500. I was also given a 4L80E that needs rebuilt and all of the wiring harness and accelerator pedal. I am thinking about putting it in my 71. I know I will need a computer since I don't have the original one. I will also need a fuel pump, but does it have to be in tank or will a high pressure high volume frame mount work? Last question for now, I would like to put a 5 speed in it instead of the auto. Any suggestions or advice.

Thanks Danny
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Advice on a 6.0 swap

Lucky! Or so many may think. first off if you use the 4L80E those things are crazy high to rebuild. But there great trannys. You can use a frame rail mounted pump just make sure it will put out 60PSI cause the min it takes to run those injectors I think is around 50 psi[actually I think it is 48] but most like to run lower to mid 50's in psi.
Now as far as a man trans you probably want to look for a NV4500 it is a good heavy trans that can take some abuse.
Also look through the ls swap section on this site and you can learn a lot real quick as that swap is getting more popular every day. I did my first LS swap in like 2005 when there was NO parts or much help like there is now days. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Danny Bost

Thank you. I will look there
Danny
Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Aruba1

I have an external walbro 255 pump installed on mine. The external pumps do not last nearly as long as the internal ones but I wanted to keep my in-cab tank as it's pretty good shape. I have done extensive research on the NV4500 install and this link covers it the best: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...cked-with-info (see post #17 for parts list)

Most of the parts I got off ebay including the sachs 1050 clutch for $65. You will need metric bolts for the flywheel (6) and the pressure plate (6). My best advise is NOT to purchase these online, once you have all the parts together, find the thread size online and the actual depth that you will need and head out to an Ace Hardware (get the metric 10.9 bolts that are the equivalent of 8 grade bolts). I got both sets of bolts that were recommended online and both were too short. The parts list look like a lot but once you have everything lined up, it goes really fast. I used my backhoe to install the motor with the transmission and I just had the radiator out.

Keep us posted on the progress. Since I just did mine I may be of some help, lol.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote