The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
65standard

Junk certificate vs salvage title???

I had a bad day at the DMV. I rescued my 1970 C20 from a junkyard. The owner of the yard signed over the State of Illinois junk certificate to me. According to the DMVs website I need to have the certificate put in my name and then take the truck to the safety lane for inspection, if passes I can get a rebuilt title.

My truck is 100% working and mechanically perfect. I am ready for the inspection. Today I went to the DMV to transfer the certificate in my name. The people at the DMV told me there is nothing you can do with a junk certificate. Once it is junked, it is junked forever. I told them they are wrong. They went to make a call to someone. They came back and said if I had a salvage title, then I could get it rebuilt and apply for a rebuilt title. Nothing can be done with a junk title.

Now what am I supposed to do with my truck?

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
sduckworth13

Re: Junk certificate vs salvage title???

I feel your anxiety and pain dealing with the DMV. Just went through a little fiasco of my own. I just went to a different DMV office the 2nd time where they actually were very helpful. Good luck getting the issue resolved. You've done a outstanding job fixing that truck up.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

If what Duckworth mentioned above doesn't work, I wonder about having an assigned vin like they do with s rat h built hot rods. If that doesn't work, there's always the possibility of finding a junk truck with a clear title...
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

why does the dmv always have to be such a pain. Man I really hope you get that figured out. Maybe your state could issue a home built title with a custom state generated vin?
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
wahl4m

get a lawyer ! maybe you have a friend thats one ? sometimes these days a mear mention or appearance of a lawyer will shake them up !!!! they know most lawyers think the state or govt. is a easy suit /that can take a long time in appearances and interogatorys =big money WORTH A TRY ??good luck
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
65standard

Thanks guys. I'm going to try the Joliet DMV on Tuesday. Maybe they will help transfer the junk certificate in my name.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Stop lying! All govt. offices and rules are completely helpful and pleasant.

Just think: now the govt runs your healthcare.

I once called three different ATF offices over a gun sales' question and got three completely different answers. Yes, try a different office.

Also, move to a less restrictive state. Sorry if that's offensive but you did ask for advice.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
SS Tim

Did you even try to look it up first?
Doesn't look good for you.
I know the other posters are trying to help but all appear to be from elsewhere and we know IL is a world unto itself of useless laws and codes.

https://www.google.com/search?sclien...=Google+Search
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Don't give up yet brother! I had to call three ATF offices remember?

I hear ya SS Trim, IL is one of those states that if I can drive around it, I will. States that deny my rights I try to avoid.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
Chucks72Longbed

Don't even get me started. If it's a government office of any type you are gonna have issues. City, county, state or federal....they have the corner on the market on ignorance and corruption. I say it's time for a revolution. JMO
Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
65standard

"This document is considered the death certificate of a vehicle. Once an Illinois junking certificate has been issued to a vehicle, that vehicle can never again be registered or titled in Illinois."

This is quoted from Cyberdriveillinois web site.

Looks like a junk certificate is final, the death of my trucks chance at being titled.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
72 tigger

My wife bought a '71 bug at a salvage yard in CA (it didn't pass the smog test) & only had a receipt for it showing she paid $500 for it. We got nowhere at the local BMV (not surprised) so, after several calls to Indy & talking to someone high enough on the food chain we got a salvage title for it. I know I'm in Indiana but hopefully with some effort you can find someone to work with you.
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
doo142

Sending pm
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
briank

Let me check with a friend who runs a junk yard here in Illinois. He may know if its the kiss of death or if something can be done. You can always try an out of state title company. They use to buy a vehicle from you on paper and then sell it back to you with a notarized letter from judge and a registration card. This was from a non title state on older vehicle. However yours is in the Sos system and you may not be able to get around it. How old is the Illinois title?
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
hugger6933

A salvage title and a junk cert are apples to oranges. A salvage title can be built I do it all the time [well not all the time most I buy are good title trucks] But I do on occasion buy one with a salvage title. I just this last week had to file for a rebuilt title on a truck that was bought new in AR and lived here its whole life and got wrecked [a little bit mind you, bedside and tailegate] and the sale I buy from is headquartered in IL so when I bought the truck it has a IL salvage title. I put a reconstruction sheet with it and with a vin verification from local police I am able to get a REBUILT title. Now on our states website it clearly states that NO vehicle shall be put back on the highway that has a junk cert title and the junk cert is applied for only after the vehicle is to be parted out.
I know this is little to no comfort to the op but this is why I preach quite often when someone finds a new toy or project, to not spend one dime on it until they have a GOOD TRANSFERABLE title in their name. Oftentimes a title or close to it is not transferable and there is the rub.
65 Standard, I know that the work you've done is top notch but I'm afraid on this one it doesn't look pleasant for you. Hey, I just thought of something check into KY and see about them I have heard [around my sale] that a person can take a AR parts only[a death sentence for one in AR] and come back with a clean KY title. The AR parts only is really a notch above [or below on how you look at it] the regular AR salvage title. It cannot be used or sold for highway purposes again.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
k_n_browning

On old vw bus I had I sent A bill of sale to Alabama.In Alabama they only have pink slips.You give the a bill of sale and in 7 days or so the send you a pink slip where they sold you the car back to you.I think it cost me like 375.oo but that was over 10yrs ago.Oklahoma don't like it but they have to take them.I don't remember the name but if found in mag.
k_n_browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
71swb4x4

Can you sell it to a friend or family member that lives out of state, and then they sell it back to you? If it's the kiss of death I doubt it applies to other states, it's only going to apply to Illinois. The problem could be that it stays in their computer forever.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
65standard

The VIN is junk status in Illionois forever. My only hope is a new VIN. The original VIN probably could be issued a new title on any other state, but can never be brought back to Illinois.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
Coley

Smile Re: Junk certificate vs salvage title???

Wow...something should be possible. It might just be a matter of taking this to the right people at the right level.
Surely the entire status should be rooted in the mechanical (safe) condition of the vehicle and not some paperwork. If the mechanical condition emphasis can be pushed through...including a full, mechanic certified inspection, it seems to be that would then provide the needed 'ok' for this very nice truck to back on the road again.
If that doesn't work....what about buying another cheapo truck and simply swapping out the vin plate, etc to your truck?
Either way....there has to be a way through this.
good luck
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
65standard

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a new VIN can be assigned to the truck by the state of Illinois through the right procedure. I just don't know that procedure. Rat rod guys do it somehow on those junk parts they put together.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a new VIN can be assigned to the truck by the state of Illinois through the right procedure. I just don't know that procedure. Rat rod guys do it somehow on those junk parts they put together.
That's a good idea. That's probably your best legal way of doing it.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #22
In The Ten Ring

The root cause of the problem is the idea of "titles" and "registration," which is only a way to get money out of the people and to hold power over them.

It's clearly silly in this case to say this man's truck is "junk." Now let's begin to apply these same principles to gun ownership and the rest of the Bill of Rights. The state will get much more money and the citizen will be that much more in fear of losing their rights.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #23
RodnRudy

Back in the late 70's I bought a 36 Ford pickup from a fella that had a junk title. My intention was to make a street rod out of it. I contacted the Ill BMV in Springfield Ill and told them of my plans, actually I told them I was going to restore it. They had me send them pictures of the truck and the junk title and the BMV sent me a new Ill title along with a letter wishing me luck on the restoration.
So you might just have some luck with the higher ups in Springfield.
Never did finish that one, sold it to a guy that put it on a 4 wheel drive chassis!
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #24
flashed

I dont have an answer for you but I hope it all works out as you made a very nice truck from it .Im in Ga and would gladly try to help if I can as we dont have to have titles here.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #25
Money_pit

Would it be a possibility to buy a title with a bin plate and pop it in your cab? I've seen a few for sale lately just didn't know of legit that was.