The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
roger55

1957 Chevy truck production numbers?

I'm trying to get Trim Parts to reproduce 3200 fender emblems. They have asked me if I know the production number breakdown of the these.
(They already reproduce the 3100 and 3124.)

Has anyone got the breakdown numbers so I can give them the info? Does it exist?

Seems to me that the 3200 production number would be relatively high but they probably aren't restored at the rate of the 3100 or 3124.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
roger55

Re: 1957 Chevy truck production numbers?

After some google searching, it looks like only the Cameo 3124 production numbers are specified and all the other models are lumped together in one number.

If we can't find any breakdown, would you guys give your opinions or guesses on what the numbers might have been and how many 3200 restorations are being done compared to the 3100 and 3124 to help me give the Trim Parts guy an idea for his market for repro 3200 emblems.

I know I would sure like to have them. I just bought a Trim Parts set of repro 3100 emblems to put on my 3200 but I'd much rather have the correct number on my long bed truck.

I had my originals rechromed but was not happy with how they turned out. The pits still look bad. I looked into places that would remove the pits and rechrome but the prices were $750 and higher and it just didn't seem right to spend that much on these.
What I had done was cheap but I guess you get what you pay for.
The guy at Trim Parts asked me if I would send them my original 3200 emblems so they can get the measurement spacing for the "3200" digits (he will send them back when done) but it's not imminent that they will follow through with reproducing them until they study the market and look at the cost to create the mold. Seems like that wouldn't be much though since they already do the 3100 and 3124.

Anyway, any help you guys can give will be appreciated both by me and the guy (Ryan) at Trim Parts.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
OrrieG

Unfortunately as you found the models are not broken out. The demand is for the short beds because that is "what everyone whats". Probably more long beds were sold for work trucks, followed by shorts and the 9' models.

I would thing they would keep track of inquiries and when they got enough tick marks put the part into production. I know 58-59 fleetside tail light trim was not repoped for the first 20 years I had my truck because everyone wanted a step side. I got a good pair off a guys trailer in the 80's in trade for some cash and replacing them with 4" truck type lights. Around 1990 the demand for Fleetside stuff got good enough they started repopping them.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Unfortunately as you found the models are not broken out. The demand is for the short beds because that is "what everyone whats". Probably more long beds were sold for work trucks, followed by shorts and the 9' models.
I would thing they would keep track of inquiries and when they got enough tick marks put the part into production. I know 58-59 fleetside tail light trim was not repoped for the first 20 years I had my truck because everyone wanted a step side. I got a good pair off a guys trailer in the 80's in trade for some cash and replacing them with 4" truck type lights. Around 1990 the demand for Fleetside stuff got good enough they started repopping them.
Yeah that "what everyone wants" for shortbeds seems to have existed for a while. I first became aware of that sometime in the 80s. Not sure if it started before that or not. Up until that time I always preferred long beds especially for a fleet side.

I do think things are kind of shifting. More and more restorations you see are going for a "work truck" look (it's what I'm doing too). Painted wheels with small hubcaps, painted bumpers, grilles and bed side stakes. The long bed can fit that look a little better because like you say, they were originally sold for work trucks a lot of the time.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if production was higher on 3200 than 3100s. Most people bought pickups for work trucks. People who lived in cities hardly ever bought trucks. I grew up in a suburb of New York. Nobody in my whole neighborhood owned a truck as much as I remember.
It's very possible that 3100s out survived 3200s. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's more 3200s out there waiting to be saved than there are 3100s.

Anyway, my whole intent on this conversation is to build a case to get what I want and that's a set of repro 3200 emblems.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
1project2many

I can't offer insight for the numbers but I may have an old 3200 emblem here if needed for development.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I can't offer insight to the numbers but I may have an old 3200 emblem here if needed for development.
Thanks but both of mine are on the way to Trim Parts via UPS.

I didn't ask for reimbursement for my shipping. It's worth it to me even though the chances aren't 100% they will decide to reproduce them.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I can't offer insight for the numbers but I may have an old 3200 emblem here if needed for development.
I see you have a 3200.
(Wow, looks almost identical to mine when I bought it. Mine didn't have a V8 though.)

What's your take in all of this? Do you agree there should be a decent market for Trim Parts to reproduce these?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

I'm guessing that there were about 2/3rds to 3/4ths as many 3200s sold as 3100s. This is just my guess from thinking back to when these trucks were commonly in use. The stripped 3100 was the cheapest to buy and it seems to me that was the most common.

Roger, if you are successful in getting the 3200 fender emblems done talk to me if you want to sell the new 3100 ones. I've been considering a set of those but the ones on my truck are too good to spend the money on. If we can make a deal it might make both of us happy, LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
roger55

Update

It's not looking so great to get the 3200 emblems reproduced from Trim Parts. Got this email yesterday:

"Roger,
I am sending you your “3200” fender emblems back to you as promised. Your tracking is 1Z496080301001069
The consensus I am getting to make these parts is not looking good. Between minimum qty’s for molding and the new tooling cost it will take us over 8-9 yrs to have any returns on this part. It may still be a possibility I have not received a solid NO yet but not looking good on the ROI end of things.
Ryan Self
Territory Sales Manager"

So, I might have to revisit the idea of altering my 3100 emblems by cutting and replacing the numbers from my old set. A decision for down the road.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
I see you have a 3200.
(Wow, looks almost identical to mine when I bought it. Mine didn't have a V8 though.)

What's your take in all of this? Do you agree there should be a decent market for Trim Parts to reproduce these?
I'm sorry... I lost track of this thread.

I spent a huge amount of time with my emblems back in 97. I had to work to get two decent ones, send them to a chrome shop, then paint them properly. The chrome work was about $150, I paid $35 for one of the emblems, and it took me four attempts to duplicate the original style that the paint was applied. Well over $200 worth of time and money in '97 and maybe double that today? Knowing that, If I could buy repros for a couple hundred dollars I would definitely do it. Long bed restorations are getting more popular as short bed supply is dwindling but I don't know if they'll ever become really popular. I hope they do consider making them but 9 years is a long time for payback.

Quote:
So, I might have to revisit the idea of altering my 3100 emblems by cutting and replacing the numbers from my old set. A decision for down the road.
I'm surprised with today's technology that no one's come up with a configurable side emblem. Buy the "blank" emblem and a block of letters/numbers and maybe some graphics. Then you could put anything into it. "LS6" or "LT1" or "Bagged" instead of the oem designation. A well designed emblem would allow other people to pick up the blanks and make their own scripts or graphics.

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-11-2015 at 11:53 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Keith Seymore

Just throwing this out there: could they be 3D printed, chromed and painted as required?

We are going to be using a lot of 3D printed parts on my current project (if I have my way) rather than injection molded/die cast/machined billet.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
OrrieG

Our local library has a 3d scanner and printer that the public can use, the time is probably limited like the computers. From what I have seen in the newspaper it is not full blown industrial quality, just get the kids interested stuff. Might grab a small trim piece some evening and head down to see how it works, been curious.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
roger55

Since it would have to be printed in a metal that can be chromed, it would take an industrial quality machine. Chromed plastic to this day doesn't look that good. Evidently, Trim Parts isn't there yet with 3D printing but you would think at some point all manufacturing will go this route.

I don't know how they do it now but you would think the fact that they already are set up to do the reproducing of 3100 emblems, it would be a relatively small investment to duplicate that and only have to change one number.