The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

Question What am I going to be looking at price wise (rear bags)

OK here's the deal, I have a 70' lwb fleet pickup with 2 1/2" drop spindles (disc brakes of coarse), 1 1/2" drop springs in front also and, 4" drop springs in the back for a total of 4/4 drop. I'm considering putting in some 5" or 6" drop springs to drop the rear a bit more but, my problem is I don't want my truck to be totally useless as a truck. I say this because I am not going to C-notch the frame. That is why I am starting to look into a rear bag setup. I don't want anything crazy, just two bags a small air tank and small compressor. I'm not interested in air out and air in speed or how many times I can go up and down before I have to fill the tank. This is mainly because I want to have some load handling capability when I use my truck as a truck. Can anyone help me out? I hope that covers everything if not, let me know what else you need to know. Thanks, Billy
Old 09-12-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
SCOTI

You can just mount the bags in place of the coils & run schrader valves to fill them when needed. I mounted the schrader valves to my license plate box & ran the air lines from the bags along the inside of the framerails to the box. When I wanted to carry a load (hook up my trailer), I flipped the license plate up, grabbed my air hose & filled the valves & checked the pressure w/my tire gauge. I used this method for almost 2yrs w/o major problems.

I say major because the only issues were once I started filling the bags 2-3 times a week (usually in the dark early, early am) I would sometimes bend the 'needle' for the valve & it wouldn't fill properly. I would have to steal another schrader valve from a spare tire to be able to fill it.

So, once I started pulling the trailer that much, I hooked up a tank, compressor, & gauge/controller to make life easier. Both ways work, but I will admit I much prefer the tank/comp/controller vs. filling by hand. I left the schraders on my l.plate box just in case I ever needed them for an emergency fill.

Ooops.... cost was about $300 for bags, schrader valves & bag fittings, & 30ft DOT airline delivered to my door from AirRide.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-12-2003 at 06:33 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

Thanks scoti, I am wanting to be able to lower and raise it as needed but, I would also like to occasionally drop the frame on the axle tubes or atleast close to it and be able to air it back up and drive off.
Anyone else?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #4
SCOTI

AirRide offers a 2whl compressor/installer kit that would work for you for $359. I used the ARC1001 kit which is the 4whl installer kit @ $499, but instead of front/rear, mine is set up for L/R w/independent control of air psi. for each side (and no issues w/air transfer from side-to-side). I keep the control paddle under my seat & out of the way until it's needed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-12-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

is that with the two bags?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
fastbagged68

If you are not going to c-notch it I would go with Early Classics bag- they are huge and can you alot more lift then a typical bag will. Hope that made sense. As for valves and tank, and compressor i would get about 3 gallons of air, compressor, and small valves. You dont need a guage for your rear. You will be able to tell where is a good ride height.
If you are really intrested PM and I can get you some good deals on all the stuff.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
SCOTI

No. Firestone #6873's are $125 each. The gauge is a good idea (no offense fastbagged) because you can adj. your panhard bar for a set ride height/air psi. then always return to it w/o having to wonder how far off you are.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-12-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:11 AM   #8
Senor_paco

What r leafs? I have a 77 I wanna do it ot, with a 2/4 currently.
Senor_paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:07 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Senor_paco,
The system they are describing is for the rear of 67-72 GM trucks. "Most" of them have a trailing arm suspension, with coil springs.
Your 77 with leaf spring rear suspension is very simple to do too. If you just want rear air for towing, you can use a bolt in set up like kit #1 pictured below.

If you want full four corner control, you will have to add a front kit...

kit #1

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote