The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
cleszkie

Converting Steering Column from Auto to Manual?

I recently did an auto to manual tranny swap, and still have the auto steering column installed with the shift lever removed. Does anyone make a replacement collar for the steering column to "convert" it to a manual floor shift model (replaces the existing collar with the shifter hole and cutout for the shift indicator)?
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Converting Steering Column from Auto to Manual?

I have a van tilt I bought for like $30 bucks cause the pin that held the shifter on was wallowed out. I ground of the Knob and welded the screw holes where the shift indicator was. After I ground the knob off I filled the hole with fiber strand. I also placed the shifter tube in the park position and spot welded the tube to the outer tube so it could not move. After everything was smoother up I primed it with high build primer . Now it looks just like a factory floor shift tilt column. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Mr Handy

Re: Converting Steering Column from Auto to Manual?

It might be worth asking on the BST forum if anyone has a floor shift column. I was able to pick up everything to swap to a sm465 from a board member parting a truck for $400... That included the hump, column, driveshaft, trans cross member, shifter arm and boot, clutch linkage from the bell housing to the pedal, and the clutch/break pedal assembly.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote