The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Hoosierdaddy

New guy with lots of questions?????

First let me tell you what I'm trying to do

Found a 1971, with a 402 big block, c20, 70k miles.

I gave it to my son for his first vehicle. We finally got it running but I think I need a new carb. as this one seems to be plugged on one side. After soaking the carb for 24 hrs in a 5 gal can of stuff my buddy gave me, and then putting in a new kit when you try to adjust the left mixture screw nothing happens even when the srew is all the way in. I've since drained the old gas(which did not look that bad) and will put in another new filter and go through the carb again.

Here is what he wants to do. Lower the truck as far as he can and still be able to drive it with out air bags. I plan on doing a flip on the rear end. I want to just cut off the old spring perches and weld them back on the bottom of the rear end. My questions here are how much do I cut out of the frame for the C notch? I am a fabritator by trade so getting it done right is no problem just need to know how much to cut out. And next will I need different shocks? Should I keep the same pinion angle that it has now? He races go karts so we will be pulling a trailer with this rig I'm sure, so how low should we go and still have ample towing clearance?

Now on the front I want to just chop the springs, Plan on chopping a little at a time until I get the truck level with the back. What length shocks will I need? anyone got any part numbers?

Next is tires and wheels... What is the widest tire I can put under this thing front and rear. He wants to use 17" wheels, but having a hard time finding something COOL in a 8 lug wheel. Any suggestions?

My plan is to keep him broke so he don't have toooooo much cash to get him in trouble (if you know what I mean). Between the gas guzzler and the cost of fixing the truck up I think we got that under control.

Hope to here from someone soon
Hoosierdaddy
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You will probably need shorter shocks. You're a fabricator? Well, this should be easy then. The shock should be middle way between compressed and expanded at normal ride height. Also it should be as close to vertical as possible. You could probably build brackets and shock mounts to get you there. An upper shock mount would be easy to fab, putting the shocks vertical again.

Flipping the rear end will get you quite a drop, for virtually no cost.

Front, you can get dropped spindles and shorter springs to get you down.

Seriously, though, if he wants those cool 17 inch wheels like most kids nowdays, have you thought about converting to 1/2 ton setup. You'd get 5 lug, which is easy to find wheels for. A 73-87 rear end would be great. Weld on some new axle saddles for the flip kit, and you're there.

In the front, new balljoints and spindles would allow the 5 lug pattern. Used 1/2 ton control arms would even be cheaper than new 1/2 ton balljoints in your arms would be. If you're in Texas, I'll cut you a hell of a deal on a complete 5 lug front end.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Nice to meet new folks.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
72MARIO

Agree with Tx Firefighter
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Fairly new myself, just got my 1971 C10 small block last month. Welcome. Anyway, be careful chopping the front coils. I chopped one from the bottom of the springs and what I anticipated to be a very mild change was not mild at all.

It doesn't make any sense, but one coil, the lower one that looks as if it will only drop you 1" will drop you about three! Enjoy your project.

Ditto Tx Firefighter

JT in Sacto
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
Hoosierdaddy

Thanks for the info, I have thought of switching to a 5 lug set up. I can get 2 trucks for $100.00 so that might be the best deal. My next problem is what am I going to do with the trucks after I get my parts. Hmmmm...... maybe another project. I used to spend my time and cash building race cars, but this is already more fun. It was a shame all the good cars I junked out to go racing.

I done a little looking around in here last night and I really like the scoop on Phantom dually's truck (in the Photo shop I beleive) Where did you get that or is it hand made( PLEASE say it is so)?

And can anyone let me know if a person can get cab corners and box corners to replace the rusty ones on our truck? if so where?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.. these boards are great..

Hoosierdaddy.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Any of our fine advertisers on the main page of this site will be happy to sell you the cab corners and other patch panels needed.

I use Kenny's Chevy Trucks myself.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
bigger=better

If by chance you wanted to keep the 8 lugs I just bought new Hummer H2 wheels pretty cheap on Ebay. saw several sets. they're for my 4X4 but they might look cool on a 2x. just a thought.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get sh*tty ideas from.
bigger=better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
WB72
Before and After

8 Bolt pattern has stayed the same untill today. I have the same bolt pattern on my '02 4X4 as on my 72. There may be more options out there than you think because of total amount of trucks that have that pattern. Have your boy go to the local tire shop, most of them have a computer that will "paste" all the options available on the year and make of your vehicle. It can even be printed out for him. Tell him that is COOL !
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:21 AM   #9
motoretro

Early Classics Enterprises has kits to convert the C10 to C20 suspension and their really good to work with. Might save you a lot of time and trouble + allowing you to put the wheels of your dreams on that truck. Good luck
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
Iron-Butt
454 club

Welcome from Texas.
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote