The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
DBK81

Quality Shocks for 3/5 drop

Doing a 3/5 drop on my '72 and wanting to upgrade shocks to something with proper length and travel. Can anyone give me a make and model recommendation. Thanks.
DBK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
DBK81

Re: Quality Shocks for 3/5 drop

Anyone?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
TexasLS1

I'm doing the same on mine, after reading here I'll be using KYB Excel-G #344068 on the front, and KYB# 344055 on the rear. I have 2.5" drop spindles on the front with 1" drop springs, and will have 2" blocks with 3" springs and No Limit's shock relocators on the rear.

How are you getting your drop done (i.e. spindle/spring configuration)? That can affect the length of shocks you need
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
TexasLS1

Somewhere there's a good thread on shock selection, I'll try to find it...
Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
leftybass209

Early Classic Enterprises has a great pair of shocks that come in their drop kits. Shoot over to their website and take a look. I believe they are KYB brand. I have them front and rear on my truck and it rides nice.

They also have expert customer service, which is a plus.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
DBK81

I'm doing drop coils front and rear. 3"front 4"rear.

Early Classics has great stuff, but being in Canada I get beat up hard on the shipping and even harder on the weak ass Canadian dollar.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
CST10

I bought a set from brothers, don't remember the name of the maker but they have a great ride in my swb truck.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
DBK81

Any opinions on these?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EBAY-ENCA
Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
TexasLS1

Here's the thread I was looking for - it needs to be a sticky thanks to a bunch of the guys doing some serious homework for us. Keep reading through page 4. Hopefully this will help a lot -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...p+shock+length
Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
DBK81

Perfect! Thanks a ton!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 AM   #11
GMCPaul

I'm surprised none of our customers have responded as we've told all that ask.
ANY, I REPEAT AMY, shock that is made for your stock 1967-72 truck at normal ride height is ALSO the correct shock for those trucks with front & rear drop kits of ANY DROP Height. So if you use 1-5 1/2" drop in the front you still use the same shock. If you use 1-6" drop in the rear you still use the same shock. ECE, No limit, Classic, Brothers, everyone is selling shocks that are made to stock travel specifications. Now your asking why this is true. The reason is with any of the drops I listed above the stock shocks minimum & maximum travel distances are not exceeded. Since the shocks travel limits are still within spec, the stock shock length is still used.
NOW in the rear once you hit about a 5" rear drop the shock has become to horizontal to absorb vertical travel effectively. So you then install rear shock relocators in the rear to make the shocks more vertical again so that they can then absorb the vertical travel of the truck. ( It's also my understanding though I have not tried it yet, that if you move the rear lower shock bracket from left side to the right, and the right side to the left this will also correct the shock angle back to a more vertical position eliminating the need for rear shock relocators. ) But again I've not checked this myself on just swapping the lower mounts from 1 side to the other. I'm just reporting what I've heard from several low budget builders.
So everyone should determine the type of ride that you want based on you and your driving habits then look up the shocks and look for comfort, sport, off road etc.... based on your driving style & preference's and then purchase the stock shock for your truck in that type of shock. KYB GR-2 soft comfortable ride, KYB gas a just shocks give a firmer ride , etc.....
Then buy from who you choose. If your already buying parts from 1 location and the shocks they have only cost a little more than the cheapest place you've found get the shocks from where your buying your other parts unless your getting free shipping.
Hope everyone is Healthy, Happy, & Prosperous in 2016 and beyond.
Paul @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 01-06-2016 at 08:09 AM.
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
DBK81

Great explanation Paul.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
Steve Cole

Thanks for the clarification Paul! One question, why do some vendors sell shocks marketed as "drop shocks"

Thanks for your input.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Thanks for the clarification Paul! One question, why do some vendors sell shocks marketed as "drop shocks"

Thanks for your input.
quite often they are just choosing a stiffer shock in most instances from those available to lower risk of bottoming, some also I know just get the inexpensive no name shocks that are stock and market them as a drop shop as they know that it's correct for a dropped truck but it's correct for your stock truck to. It's Pure marketing, email several and see the answers you get. It's the same as companies marketing advertising things like
Our Part's Are Made In The USA
Sure their are several companies that make parts here in the USA and all the parts they make themselves are made in the USA but they fail to disclose that they also carry parts made by others that aren't made in the USA and in most instances the majority of what they carry is made by others. But their claim is correct that everything THEY make is made in the USA, and that failure to state that not everything they carry is made by them isn't considered deceptive.
I'm blown away by the marketing ploys played by the corporations & large business's regularly.
Paul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
marvgarr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
I'm surprised none of our customers have responded as we've told all that ask.
ANY, I REPEAT AMY, shock that is made for your stock 1967-72 truck at normal ride height is ALSO the correct shock for those trucks with front & rear drop kits of ANY DROP Height. So if you use 1-5 1/2" drop in the front you still use the same shock. If you use 1-6" drop in the rear you still use the same shock. ECE, No limit, Classic, Brothers, everyone is selling shocks that are made to stock travel specifications. Now your asking why this is true. The reason is with any of the drops I listed above the stock shocks minimum & maximum travel distances are not exceeded. Since the shocks travel limits are still within spec, the stock shock length is still used.
NOW in the rear once you hit about a 5" rear drop the shock has become to horizontal to absorb vertical travel effectively. So you then install rear shock relocators in the rear to make the shocks more vertical again so that they can then absorb the vertical travel of the truck. ( It's also my understanding though I have not tried it yet, that if you move the rear lower shock bracket from left side to the right, and the right side to the left this will also correct the shock angle back to a more vertical position eliminating the need for rear shock relocators. ) But again I've not checked this myself on just swapping the lower mounts from 1 side to the other. I'm just reporting what I've heard from several low budget builders.
So everyone should determine the type of ride that you want based on you and your driving habits then look up the shocks and look for comfort, sport, off road etc.... based on your driving style & preference's and then purchase the stock shock for your truck in that type of shock. KYB GR-2 soft comfortable ride, KYB gas a just shocks give a firmer ride , etc.....
Then buy from who you choose. If your already buying parts from 1 location and the shocks they have only cost a little more than the cheapest place you've found get the shocks from where your buying your other parts unless your getting free shipping.
Hope everyone is Healthy, Happy, & Prosperous in 2016 and beyond.
Paul @ GMCPauls
This is as true as it comes. I actually measured drop shocks and stock shocks and there is no difference. I have a 6-4 drop and I used stock shocks no bottoming. I did this because I only used KYB and I want to see what the stroke length is on a drop shock to match to a KYB shock. Really nice when you don't need to order shocks online you just go to a parts house.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591188
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote