The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
msg

1966 Hood corner patch repair question

Do the sides of the hood slope inward toward the cab? Or should you be able to take a straight edge and it be flush all the way down?

I wish I had placed a straight edge on it before I made any cuts to see if it slopes like this or not originally, but I made a cut

After cleaning out the area inside as best I could and painted 3 coats of epoxy primer, I welded the patch panel in place

Then I looked closer at the edges and saw how the guys at the sandblasters were not careful using their fork lift and dented the hood in some places. On that side I saw this

I did my best to hammer/dolly the dented edge that makes contact with the fender when closed and its back flush and looking ok now. I also hammered the outward dent on the side to the straight edge would line up.

I took the fender extension and placed it at the base and it lines up pretty good

So do I need to drill out the spot welds and pull that base edge out some to line up flush? Seems like if I do that the fender extension panel wont line up too well.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
BFoley

Re: 1966 Hood corner patch repair question

Pretty sure I would have gone full hulk if I picked something up from shop that had been damaged like that. Not sure what you are asking about regarding the spot welds in the last pic. Seems to look good in picture.

EDIT: If you are referring to your edge "tapering", both sides have a slight taper and there is about a 1/8 in inch gap between straight edge and cab-end of hood edge.

All gone - '66 CJ5, '69 C25, '69 C25 Camper Special, '79 C10 Big Ten/Bonanza, '84 K10 Silverado

Last edited by BFoley; 03-20-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Changes
BFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Brad54

Does someone make a rear corner patch panel?

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFoley View Post
Pretty sure I would have gone full hulk if I picked something up from shop that had been damaged like that.
The things I noticed only weeks after they dropped it off.
This has been a learning experience for me, I paid in advance for the body to be blasted and they agreed that I take the parts to them one at a time if I want and they blast it. This has been going on since May of last year. I take what I can squeeze into my 96 accord and they call me when its done and I drive back and load it up and come back and repair whats rusted out and shoot primer on it and store it. The big items I have rented a moving truck and load it up. They messed up scheduling during the cab and hood and called me and said they would deliver them instead of me getting another rental. The guys showed up and I had a box of nitrile gloves waiting on them and insisted everyone put them on and unload. Every panel and part I have gotten back goes into the climate controlled garage and as I can I make repairs and prime. Every one of the blasted parts end up with rusty hand impressions and every time I go woth the next part I tell them about the rusty hand prints and they say each time "We'll make sure they wear gloves this time" The hood was placed on work horses in my garage and they told me the paint wasnt blasted off since I took the braces off the middle of the hood and they were worried about warpage.
I was so distracted I guess by the fact I was gonna have to get my sander out and strip off the paint, that I didnt notice all the damage they did moving it around. Ill share some other pics later of the damage to the top of the hood. If you look at the popped out areas of paint right in the center where the embossed area is that goes down the center thats where the forklift i guess creased and dented that area. Took me a full day to get that dents out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFoley View Post
EDIT: If you are referring to your edge "tapering", both sides have a slight taper and there is about a 1/8 in inch gap between straight edge and cab-end of hood edge.
On the 1/8 in gap, is this fitment gap between panels? Or is the 1/8 the distance where the straight edge is at the base in my pic..between the end of the hood that faces the cab and the edge of that ruler? When I measure the gap its at 3/8 inch. But like I say it aligns very well with the fender extension as seen in the pic.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
Does someone make a rear corner patch panel?
Hey Brad, thanks by the way for the pointers you've given me on my cab that was blasted. I switched gears a bit to get this hood out of the way to make for more room in the garage as I work.

I wish they made those patch panels, I have had to make them myself, Ill add it to my build thread in the next day or so.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
BFoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The things I noticed only weeks after they dropped it off.
This has been a learning experience for me, I paid in advance for the body to be blasted and they agreed that I take the parts to them one at a time if I want and they blast it. This has been going on since May of last year. I take what I can squeeze into my 96 accord and they call me when its done and I drive back and load it up and come back and repair whats rusted out and shoot primer on it and store it. The big items I have rented a moving truck and load it up. They messed up scheduling during the cab and hood and called me and said they would deliver them instead of me getting another rental. The guys showed up and I had a box of nitrile gloves waiting on them and insisted everyone put them on and unload. Every panel and part I have gotten back goes into the climate controlled garage and as I can I make repairs and prime. Every one of the blasted parts end up with rusty hand impressions and every time I go woth the next part I tell them about the rusty hand prints and they say each time "We'll make sure they wear gloves this time" The hood was placed on work horses in my garage and they told me the paint wasnt blasted off since I took the braces off the middle of the hood and they were worried about warpage.
I was so distracted I guess by the fact I was gonna have to get my sander out and strip off the paint, that I didnt notice all the damage they did moving it around. Ill share some other pics later of the damage to the top of the hood. If you look at the popped out areas of paint right in the center where the embossed area is that goes down the center thats where the forklift i guess creased and dented that area. Took me a full day to get that dents out there.

On the 1/8 in gap, is this fitment gap between panels? Or is the 1/8 the distance where the straight edge is at the base in my pic..between the end of the hood that faces the cab and the edge of that ruler? When I measure the gap its at 3/8 inch. But like I say it aligns very well with the fender extension as seen in the pic.

I threw a straight edge against mine just like you did in the picture. My taper resulted in a 1/8 gap. My guess is there is variance in goods due to the manufacturing process. Honestly, if yours looks good against cowl piece, then I would leave it alone for right now. How does it compare to your other side?

All gone - '66 CJ5, '69 C25, '69 C25 Camper Special, '79 C10 Big Ten/Bonanza, '84 K10 Silverado
BFoley is offline   Reply With Quote