The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
70short

Cpp steering column

Has anybody bought a CPP Tilt column, and what are your opinions.
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
jr1000yarder

Re: Cpp steering column

I would recommend you purchase one from 70shortfleet. I have one of his restored columns and it's amazing. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'll take care of whatever you need

Rich
Old 08-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70short View Post
My Opinion is not a good one! Had one delivered and it came in what appeared to have been at one time a Opened box and also had missing parts. Sent it back and recieved one more also had been opened at one point and again had different parts missing this time. Sent it back for another one that was in the worst shape of them all. I guess you all know what and where I told them to do with there Column. So back to my first statement or line it STILL STANDS NG,NG,and He!! NG.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
70short

Thanks for the replies!! PM sent to 70shortfleet
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!! PM sent to 70shortfleet
Good chose
Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
NC_John

CPP? Chinese Parts Purveyors!

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
UMDSmith

I have a CPP installed. I didn't really need to buy one, but my column shift was pretty shot (didn't have to pull towards you to shift, and was VERY easy to go from drive to reverse if you weren't careful). I also was having problems with blinker wiring, and assumed that was also in the column area.

So, first thing with my CPP column, good luck getting reverse lights to ever work. The reverse light little connector down at the bottom of mine fell apart. I don't currently have reverse lights so no biggie now. Also I still had problems with my column wiring (but I have wiring issues in general, so I am just rewiring all the running/headlights/blinkers myself). Also I didn't buy whatever stupid steering adapter I needed for mine, so I fabricated a connector to work with my steering.

All in all, I'd throw my CPP one away and eliminate the column shift and everything but the horn wiring while I was at it, but no need to invest more in my beater work truck.
UMDSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

I would recommend that you not mess with the CPP... Go Straight to a IDIDIT... that is hands down the best aftermarket column on the market... I have also heard decent things about Flaming River... Bu On the CPP and Flaming River I have heard of some pretty bad failures... I have never heard of a failure from a Ididit...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
57larry

CPP is pure China junk! there was a study on tilt columns. it's here somewhere on this forum
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Livrat
Member #1049

Here is the study
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...ng_Columns.pdf
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #11
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
I know the Aussie and NZ authorities take road safety super seriously and can go overboard at times. But that report is pretty damning for certain companies and I commend them for it. I likely wouldn't have considered any column other than GM or iditit before reading this but now it's official.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
Willie Makeit

Quote:
they are junk. they are dangerous. they should be outlawed.

there are only 3 names that should ever be considered for a tilt wheel column.

- ididit
- flaming river
- saginaw (gm oem)
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Ontcalimo

I have bought a CPP tilt column and I am extremely concern about safety issues for obvious reasons. I bought the column from Brother's Truck Parts in Corona, California, not knowing it was CPP. I noticed the CPP symbols were redacted (by blacking out "CPP" symbols or cutting out all CPP trademark symbols) from the box. I wonder why? I soon discovered it was a CPP not all CPP symbols were redacted. I have now considered removing the column from my truck and installing the non-tilt original OEM column back on. The problem is that I gave the original one to my brother. I thought of swapping the new CPP column for the one I gave him, but I don't want to endanger his life neither.

I went to CPP in Placentia, California to purchase other products and expressed my concerns regarding things matter to a CPP sales representative who appeared to also be a manager. I wanted to know if this defective issues were already addressed by CPP. He reassured there were no issues with their product. He indicated someone who has personal issues with CPP is misleading consumers to believe their tilt columns and are defective and unsafe. He was very annoyed and infuriated about the allegation, as like CPP was being slandered in the article floating in the internet claiming their tilt columns are defective and unsafe. He appeared to take the allegation very seriously. I asked if CPP could show me the inside of the column. I wanted to be convinced for myself. He said the inside parts of the column were on display on their showroom to convince consumers others there are no issues with the column as, alleged in the article, but the main manager had asked no longer to display it. I wonder why? I was not shown or offered to see the internal pieces of their tilt column.

From my objective stand point of view, I am inclined to believe the column is not a high quality product. But Again, you paid what you pair for and what can expect for a tilt column that is under $300.00. The question is, is this column safe? We no know their are an array of similar products that can be classified as poor, fair, good, and excellent, and craftsmanshift varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are certain brands that set the bar real high to other manufacturers. Does this column fall at least in the fair or good category? I can not categorize this product with out seeing the internal mechanism for myself. However, in my opinion, the column does not feel solid. Even the cancel cams assembly in the column appears to be very fragile and flimsy, as compared to the OEM one. There is considerable amount of play in the cancel/turn cam and its leavers vibrate too much. I have considered filling the cancel/ turn signal cams with pieces of foam to reduce the vibration and play. However, their is no significant play on the tilt joint. The bottom portion has plastic pieces that is also held by a wire retaining clamp that just does not look right. A metal piece would be more convincing. I can't speak for the inside, because I did not open it. The signal indicator housing is tilted/ slightly candid to the right when installed, and it can not be readjusted and aligned properly (or is this just me?).
We must not kid our selves and follow the saying "you get what you paid for." But I suppose many of us were expecting better quality product from CPP, whom I believed, and still trying to believe they are a reputable brand name. They build other brake products, in which I have high good faith on them. Nonetheless, I still regret buying the column and should have bought from a different manufacturer.

Does anyone have knowledge that CPP tilt columns have ever failed?

Last edited by Ontcalimo; 08-26-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: clarification; concise
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontcalimo View Post
I have bought a CPP tilt column and I am extremely concern about safety issues for obvious reasons. I bought the column from Brother's Truck Parts in Corona, California, not knowing it was CPP. I noticed the CPP symbols were redacted (by blacking out "CPP" symbols or cutting out all CPP trademark symbols) from the box. I wonder why? I soon discovered it was a CPP not all CPP symbols were redacted. I have now considered removing the column from my truck and installing the non-tilt original OEM column back on. The problem is that I gave the original one to my brother. I thought of swapping the new CPP column for the one I gave him, but I don't want to endanger his life neither.

I went to CPP in Placentia, California to purchase other products and expressed my concerns regarding things matter to a CPP sales representative who appeared to also be a manager. I wanted to know if this defective issues were already addressed by CPP. He reassured there were no issues with their product. He indicated someone who has personal issues with CPP is misleading consumers to believe their tilt columns and are defective and unsafe. He was very annoyed and infuriated about the allegation, as like CPP was being slandered in the article floating in the internet claiming their tilt columns are defective and unsafe. He appeared to take the allegation very seriously. I asked if CPP could show me the inside of the column. I wanted to be convinced for myself. He said the inside parts of the column were on display on their showroom to convince consumers others there are no issues with the column as, alleged in the article, but the main manager had asked no longer to display it. I wonder why? I was not shown or offered to see the internal pieces of their tilt column.

From my objective stand point of view, I am inclined to believe the column is not a high quality product. But Again, you paid what you pair for and what can expect for a tilt column that is under $300.00. The question is, is this column safe? We no know their are an array of similar products that can be classified as poor, fair, good, and excellent, and craftsmanshift varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are certain brands that set the bar real high to other manufacturers. Does this column fall at least in the fair or good category? I can not categorize this product with out seeing the internal mechanism for myself. However, in my opinion, the column does not feel solid. Even the cancel cams assembly in the column appears to be very fragile and flimsy, as compared to the OEM one. There is considerable amount of play in the cancel/turn cam and its leavers vibrate too much. I have considered filling the cancel/ turn signal cams with pieces of foam to reduce the vibration and play. However, their is no significant play on the tilt joint. The bottom portion has plastic pieces that is also held by a wire retaining clamp that just does not look right. A metal piece would be more convincing. I can't speak for the inside, because I did not open it. The signal indicator housing is tilted/ slightly candid to the right when installed, and it can not be readjusted and aligned properly (or is this just me?).
We must not kid our selves and follow the saying "you get what you paid for." But I suppose many of us were expecting better quality product from CPP, whom I believed, and still trying to believe they are a reputable brand name. They build other brake products, in which I have high good faith on them. Nonetheless, I still regret buying the column and should have bought from a different manufacturer.

Does anyone have knowledge that CPP tilt columns have ever failed?
I bought some Drop Springs from the Truck Shop in Orange,CA. with The Brand name (CPP) on the box. The springs ended up actually raising the truck up not down, found out later they were Boxed Wrong & didn't even look like a rear spring looks like from what I have seen elsewhere. I called The Truck Shop and started asking questions and wasn't too happy with the answers that they gave me so asking one more question on who makes the springs for CPP all they would do for me was have me to call CPP and ask the questions for my self. I did call CPP and started asking my questions about who makes the springs for them, they came back with WHY do you want to know that. I also told them about what every body else that has bought springs from CPP that the springs did drop more than should have and leaving them in for a longer period of time they Dropped even more. That's when they GOT PRETTY PISSY with me and the Phone conversation ended right there. I did take both sets of Dropped Springs back for a full refund.
The saying still goes even with CPP you get what you pay for.