The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
AnotherWs6

No KYB Shocks for rear of Burb?

Well after breaking the bolt and stack of washers that the PO used instead of the proper mounting stud, slightly panicking not realizing that it was no big deal and then getting a shock mounted back up properly I come to find that the shocks I bought for the front aren't made for the back. Maybe.

I went with the Exce-G's (pictured), which my father and I run on our Silverados with great results. They noticeably improved the ride on my pickup compared to the off-road shocks that came with the leveling kit on that truck. Since I was missing a front on my Burb and needed something fast I over-nighted a front pair from Amazon. But now that I'm looking for the backs to do those as well it looks like they may not be made for the back. KYB's website doesn't list them. Rockauto doesn't list them. Amazon doesn't list them. But Summit does. Anybody running these things on the back?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...l/c10-suburban
Attached Images

2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: No KYB Shocks for rear of Burb?

I've never heard of the brand.
Curious as to how they work out for you.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
AnotherWs6

Never heard of KYB? They have been around for years. I've used their Gas-Adjust shocks a couple of times on performance cars and have been very pleased with the ride and handling. Saw a lot of good stuff about this line awhile back from people looking for a good ride on their trucks. My dad put them on his Silverado and was very pleased so I went with them on mine as well. It was a no brainer getting them for the Suburban, but now I'm concerned. I might just buy the ones Summit lists and see what happens.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

I've heard of KYB, and I have used them in a 68 elCamino I had years ago with very positive results. I just didn't recognize the model of KYB.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
AnotherWs6

Gotcha. I don't know how long these have been around. Nice riding shocks weren't on my radar until somewhat recently. It's always been performance blah blah. Guees I'm getting old. This is literally the first vehicle I've owned that I don't want to lift or lower.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
Well after breaking the bolt and stack of washers that the PO used instead of the proper mounting stud, slightly panicking not realizing that it was no big deal and then getting a shock mounted back up properly I come to find that the shocks I bought for the front aren't made for the back. Maybe.

I went with the Exce-G's (pictured), which my father and I run on our Silverados with great results. They noticeably improved the ride on my pickup compared to the off-road shocks that came with the leveling kit on that truck. Since I was missing a front on my Burb and needed something fast I over-nighted a front pair from Amazon. But now that I'm looking for the backs to do those as well it looks like they may not be made for the back. KYB's website doesn't list them. Rockauto doesn't list them. Amazon doesn't list them. But Summit does. Anybody running these things on the back?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...l/c10-suburban

You use these on your Silverados and you like them? I got a set for my 97 extended cab short bed 4WD and think that my 15 year old worn out stock GM units had a better ride!

I love the Gas adjusts on my 69 Cougar with a hardcore suspension package.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
You use these on your Silverados and you like them? I got a set for my 97 extended cab short bed 4WD and think that my 15 year old worn out stock GM units had a better ride!

I love the Gas adjusts on my 69 Cougar with a hardcore suspension package.

Paul
I do like them. In all fairness both trucks had "performance" type shocks before hand so it may not be a 100% fair comparison. Both are 4wd BTW. One has the front torsion bars cranked quite a bit and rode like an absolute tank. Backed off of the bars some, helped. Swapped these shocks, helped even more. Like you I thought that the Gas Adjusts are great on a performance handling application. The Excel G's are meant for a more compliant ride. Which I think that they deliver.