The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Clif Dzzzz

1966 Chevy C10 Steering Column Shaft ?

We have a 1966 Chevy C-10 Farm Truck that is being reconditioned... we have questions concerning the following....

A. The truck currently has a 1972 GMC steering column assembly-automatic with power steering. The power steering unit works great. The remaining column assembly, steering wheel and electrical components are in disastrous condition. The steering column shaft is 3/4" x 54 1/2"......2 piece breakaway.

B. We have a 1966 C-10 steering column assembly-automatic without power steering, reconditioned steering wheel and all new electrical components. The steering column shaft is 3/4" x 55 1/8".....1 piece..no breakaway.

C. We want to return the truck to an OE appearance...inside the cab.

D. We want to utilize the 72 GMC 2 piece shaft with breakaway and the 66 steering column assembly.

E. The shorter shaft will provide greater driver space.

D. Every thing appears to measure up?

Comments and recommendation's would be appreciated...
Clif Dzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 1966 Chevy C10 Steering Column Shaft ?

Using the '72 shaft inside the '66 column will not move the steering wheel any farther from the driver. The power steering box is longer than a '63-'66 manual steering box. When installing power steering on a '63-'66 truck, the original steering column shaft must be shortened 1-3/4".
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
Clif Dzzzz

Thanks for the clarification......in this process ....is it necessary to perform some kind of reconditioning to the 1972 shaft intermediate coupling... ( has a bell appearance ).....moves freely...

Plan to replace the rag joint....
Old 11-22-2016, 12:48 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That I can not tell you. I have never used a '67-'72 steering column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clif Dzzzz View Post
Thanks for the clarification......in this process ....is it necessary to perform some kind of reconditioning to the 1972 shaft intermediate coupling... ( has a bell appearance ).....moves freely...

Plan to replace the rag joint....
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
Lugnutz65

I'm nearly done my 1965 column modification. What I did might give you ideas. I plan to post a DIY thread soon.

I didn't want to spend $$$$ to buy an IDIDIT or FLAMING RIVER manual floor shift column. I could NOT find a used MANUAL TILT steering column in any of my local salvage yards. So I decided to make improvements to my original column instead.

I replaced my 1965 manual steering box with a 1974 GMC truck PS box. I used the CaptainFab bracket (very nice).

I also used the original 1974 lower steering shaft and rag joint because they were still in great shape. It has the DD rod that will collapse inside the lower sleeve. I threw away the "bell" end at the upper end of the DD portion. I cut off the "T" end that was inside the bell and I drilled out the plastic pins that hold the DD inside the sleeve. I wanted to make sure the DD was not seized inside the sleeve. It now slides freely but I can still line up the pin holes.

FYI: CPP sells the lower DD sleeve and the DD rod is also available from Speedway, just in case you can't find one at the salvage yard.

Next, I bought a very nice steering column universal joint on eBay. Both ends were DD (female) and both ends have a threaded screw that captures the DD rod.

I then measured and cut the lower end of my 1965 steering shaft to the proper length to join the universal joint. I then took the pieces to my local Community College where the machine shop instructor was more than happy to have the students mill the lower end of the round 1965 shaft to make it a DD shape. They also drilled holes to match the universal joint capture screws.

**Optional** - Since I have a floor shifter, I decided to move the whole column 3" closer to the dash. This required cutting out 4.5" from the outer column sleeve as well as moving the bracket holes up 3". If you plan to keep the shifter on the column, then my measurements may not work so well.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
vince1

I used a 67 PS box and collapsible shaft for my 66. Straight bolt in as I recall w/o problems. Also from what I understand or was told that a 67 shaft is the only newer one that works in a 66 column. Could be wrong on that one. Also as I recall the 66 one piece and 67 shaft were the same length. Could be wrong on that one too I guess.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #7
Clif Dzzzz

Captianfab........all of your advice on the 72 GMC Power steering box, rag joint and lower-upper shaft blended into the original 66 steering column tube assembly worked perfectly......simple assembly....

I'm now encountering a problem with the installation of the original 1966 Chevy upper components....I've have several exploded parts diagrams of the supposed assemblies........I'm sure there is a ring spacer - shaft ring spacer or some small part missing...that is not showing in the average parts explosion diagrams.......

Any chance you might have, or know of, or where I might find a very detailed diagram of the 66 Chevy column assembly housing in the turn signal cancellation switch area?

I'm sure it's the Indian and not the arrow!

Thanks in advance....

Clif
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
Johns66

Quote:
Captianfab........all of your advice on the 72 GMC Power steering box, rag joint and lower-upper shaft blended into the original 66 steering column tube assembly worked perfectly......simple assembly....

I'm now encountering a problem with the installation of the original 1966 Chevy upper components....I've have several exploded parts diagrams of the supposed assemblies........I'm sure there is a ring spacer - shaft ring spacer or some small part missing...that is not showing in the average parts explosion diagrams.......

Any chance you might have, or know of, or where I might find a very detailed diagram of the 66 Chevy column assembly housing in the turn signal cancellation switch area?

Thanks in advance....

Clif
Not sure these pictures will help, but here is my original coming apart.
Attached Images

Johns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #9
Lugnutz65

Quote:

Thanks in advance....

Clif
Clif,
I may have photos that will help. The upper column has a metal ring with a tab and set screw. There is also a plastic spacer/bushing that fits on top of the metal ring. Those pieces are used to adjust tension on the bottom edge of the shift collar. Here are pics.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
Johns66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Clif,
I may have photos that will help. The upper column has a metal ring with a tab and set screw. There is also a plastic spacer/bushing that fits on top of the metal ring. Those pieces are used to adjust tension on the bottom edge of the shift collar. Here are pics.
Do they reproduce that bushing mine did not have that.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #11
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns66 View Post
Do they reproduce that bushing mine did not have that.
I would check with Jim Carter Truck Parts. Call rather than search is my advice.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #12
Clif Dzzzz

Hey....Johns66.....The information and photos were valuable .....the 1st - 2nd were great guides for correcting my assembly.....

the remaining shots ....all looked similar to my unit....however....two-three hrs of effort...and I still cannot get it together properly......

I've taken some progressive photo's of my unit and maybe ya can find my errors.....
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Clif Dzzzz

Name:  IMG_1893 (1).JPG
Views: 4775
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1894.JPG
Views: 4771
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1895.JPG
Views: 4732
Size:  55.0 KB
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #14
Clif Dzzzz

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #15
Clif Dzzzz

Hey Ya'll....my attempt to upload a series of photo's with notes wasn't too successful.... with a spacer the turn signal lever is too high for the access hole.....
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #16
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Hey Ya'll....my attempt to upload a series of photo's with notes wasn't too successful.... with a spacer the turn signal lever is too high for the access hole.....
I think that spacer you show is the plastic bushing that goes above the metal ring just beneath the shifter collar. Here's a photo of mine.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
Johns66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I think that spacer you show is the plastic bushing that goes above the metal ring just beneath the shifter collar. Here's a photo of mine.
Lugnutz65 I think that is exactly correct.