The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
72kool

noob to ls swap questions

i have been here long enough to know that the information is here somewhere if i can find it.. the problem comes when i realize my mind does not have the capacity to retain the information that i have read.

I am looking at my options for an engine in my '72 gmc c20. it has the stock 350 in it now. It has 70000 miles on it and runs good, but leaks pretty good. Originally i had decided to pull it out, yank the top end off and put on some vortec heads and cam swap. problem there is that i have done this long enough to know its not that simple and will end up doing more than that. a fear i have also is that i wont be happy enough with the end result in a few years.

i have thrown out the idea of an ls in the past because i like the simple old engines. cheap to repair and no stupid sensors and computers...until now.

i got top really drive a truck with 6.0 and man i want that power. add that to the fact that i need to make my truck a dd and it has alot of appeal. also i have looked around and seems that the cost to swap an ls and to build the 350 i have could be the same or a little more for an ls but with a bigger reward. i have a very limited budget so every penny counts and want to go about this well thought out and planned to help keep the cost low.

so here is where i am at now and need help.

i have read alot, lots, of threads and articles. this is what i know.
a 5.3 will work just fine for my needs and will have the power and economy to be happy with. i also have a lead on one local that comes with wiring and computer. its an 5.3 from a 2004 truck. no transmission though.

I know that i want to run a carb on this and not fi. i have sen the arguments and reasons from both sides and i just want the carb for my truck. i know that i can get kits and the seperate parts to convert it to a carb. msd 6010 controller and edelbrock victor jr intake.

questions i have are,

1= where can i buy a stock fuel tank that has the return line fitting? i have seen them, not where to buy one.

2= what transmission is my best budget choice? i have a built th350 and heard i can run it with a flywheel spacer. but i wont get the best performance from the ls. what is the best way to go?

3= i do not want to mess with alot of tuning. comes down to budget. this is why the carb is best for me. can i use my really good stock quadrajet? runs great and i know i can adjust it to my needs. will it be effective on an ls?

i should state my goals for this engine, stock setup for a great dd truck and put a smile in my face when i floor it.

4=do i have to get different exhaust manifolds? can i use the ones on the engine? again cost comes down to it and if need be what jy part can i use? i know tbss fit good but they are not lying around in the jy. cheapest option?

5= easier to use my gauges and convert the fittings to work with the originals in the truck or cheaper to buy a new set from somewhere like dakota digital?

these are some of the questions in my head right now and i am sure i will have more as i go along. this is my plan so far with what i know until i hear better from you guys that know what your doing unlike me

used 5.3 from 2004 truck.
victor jr carb intake
msd 6010 controller
dirty dingo engine mount
use my radiator and get new hoses
use a stock style tank in the cab and use a 60psi electric fuel pump with a regulator (i hear corvette is a good choice)
use a manual clutch fan (less wiring=less time)

can you guys give me a step by step on what i need to do the swap and keep it cheap as possible ? correct me where i am wrong please and help me understand what i have read.

sorry for the long ramble and thanks for the help
Old 12-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: noob to ls swap questions

Personally I wouldn't carb a ls engine..but that's me not you..here is a good step by step on a install..http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ped-ls-engine/
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Willie Makeit

you desire the power & efficiency of a modern LS platform yet you don't want the parts/processes (no FI / no tuning) to make that happen.

my suggestion is to stay with the 1st gen small block platform you already have because that's basically what you're gonna have after you strip the LS of the things that make it the great engine platform that it is.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
questions i have are,

1= where can i buy a stock fuel tank that has the return line fitting? i have seen them, not where to buy one.

You don't need a return with a carb

2= what transmission is my best budget choice? i have a built th350 and heard i can run it with a flywheel spacer. but i wont get the best performance from the ls. what is the best way to go?

Your best bet for what you are after would be an electronically controlled one like a 4l60e or 4l80e, but without the PCM, you are forced to buy a controller, which cuts into your budget and to me isn't really cost effective. So with that said, I would use the transmission you already have.

3= i do not want to mess with alot of tuning. comes down to budget. this is why the carb is best for me. can i use my really good stock quadrajet? runs great and i know i can adjust it to my needs. will it be effective on an ls?

i should state my goals for this engine, stock setup for a great dd truck and put a smile in my face when i floor it.

I don't see why you couldn't use your Quadrajet, but you'll probably have to get an adapter to make it fit the intake.

4=do i have to get different exhaust manifolds? can i use the ones on the engine? again cost comes down to it and if need be what jy part can i use? i know tbss fit good but they are not lying around in the jy. cheapest option?

Truck manifolds usually wont fit. TBSS are about the cheapest ones out there. Or try to find some 5th Gen Camaro ones.

5= easier to use my gauges and convert the fittings to work with the originals in the truck or cheaper to buy a new set from somewhere like dakota digital?

Dakota Digital will be about the most expensive way to go about it. If you use your trans, it will have a speedo cable for speedometer, then just add your stock sender for temp to the engine and hook up the original oil pressure line and youre good to go.

these are some of the questions in my head right now and i am sure i will have more as i go along. this is my plan so far with what i know until i hear better from you guys that know what your doing unlike me

used 5.3 from 2004 truck.
victor jr carb intake
msd 6010 controller
dirty dingo engine mount
use my radiator and get new hoses yes
use a stock style tank in the cab and use a 60psi electric fuel pump with a regulator (i hear corvette is a good choice)WAY to much PSI for a carb
use a manual clutch fan (less wiring=less time)

can you guys give me a step by step on what i need to do the swap and keep it cheap as possible ? correct me where i am wrong please and help me understand what i have read.

sorry for the long ramble and thanks for the help
Answers in bold. Personally I agree with the other guys, keeping the gen1 engine would be easier and cheaper as it will bolt right in. Adding an LS and then putting a carb on it, is just not worth the hassle, as you basically end up with what you already have. A lot of what you saw in that 6.0 you drove was the drivability and overdrive, you'll be giving that up. I would rethink what you really want as the end result. Sure an EFI conversion isn't as easy, but I think you would be happier in the long run. You can look at my build in my sig for a budget LS swap.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
LeesTruk

For your exhaust manifolds, don't limit your search strictly for the TBSS pieces, as 5.3L equipped early Trailblazers, Buick Rainier, and GMC Envoys are the same thing. Dorman makes a new R/H manifold, but not the L/H side. Don't know why that is
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Dakota Digital will be about the most expensive way to go about it. If you use your trans, it will have a speedo cable for speedometer, then just add your stock sender for temp to the engine and hook up the original oil pressure line and youre good to go.

What about Amp gauge ??
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide
What about Amp gauge ??
It hooks back up just as factory. The type of motor won't affect it at all.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If you want to see a really nice setup check out dayj1s build^^^^^^.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668385
Old 12-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
If you want to see a really nice setup check out dayj1s build^^^^^^.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668385
wait till you see what he's working on now.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Well that's not fair...he needs to be sharing..haha
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
wait till you see what he's working on now.
Is it the gold '68 at the end of that thread, or has he progressed to another project all together by now?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
Overdriven

Just to add to the great points mentioned, there really isn't much "tuning" involved in a LS swap. The ecu has to have some stuff eliminated like the VATS (anti theft, very necessary), the rear O2 sensors (unless you want to mount them) and some other stuff that's not applicable when swapping. The same software used for performance tuning is used to eliminate these things so you either take it to someone or there are services where you can send it to them.

Now as far as tuning for performance, that doesn't require lots of tuning either. If you're leaving the engine stock you can leave the tune stock. But a stock tune leaves some power on the table even with a completely stock engine. A competent tuner (some of the mail in services included) will have tunes on file for stock engines that'll unlock some power for you. They can load one of these tunes at the same they delete the VATS and other stuff. So again, it's a one time tune as long as it's from a competent tuner.

Cost. Cheapest I saw the MSD and Carb intake combo was about $600 after a quick search. Whether Carb or EFI you need a fuel pump, miscellaneous fittings, do dads for throttle linkage, etc and cost for those is about equal for carb and EFI. For EFI you need the ecu flashed to delete VATS and a quick search showed it's about $100 for one of the mail in services. If you want a performance tune added the price goes up from there. Wiring harness you can find guides online for modifying it so that'll cost you only time and electrical tape/wire loom. I don't know whether the engine you reference needs a return line but even if it does how much will that really cost? Same with making some sort of intake tube and air filter. You have $500 left (compared to going carb) to make a return line and intake tube. If you're thinking selling the EFI stuff will make you some $ go check some prices, the stuff sells for peanuts.

Personally I don't see the point in going carb except for looks. If you want the mileage, performance and drivability of a stock LS leave it stock. From what I see it's also a little cheaper. Hope this helps.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #13
Willie Makeit

^^^ this guys knows whats up.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:51 AM   #14
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
^^^ this guys knows whats up.
I appreciate that but I'm really just a good bs artist. I'm joking, the info is good, I try to only post stuff I'm 100% on. Unfortunately I haven't actually done a swap yet, just read too damn much about them. Hopefully next winter.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
Willie Makeit

I'm running a high mileage truck bottom-end 5.3 (read:CHEAP) with an LSA supercharger. Stock harness and stock ECM that had a "base tune" put on it by a local tuner - basically he removed VATS, rear o2's and loaded a base fuel map based on the larger
LSA injectors). It started up first try, only issue was it was a bit rich. Me and a couple friends (dayj1s being 1 of them) partnered up and purchased a seat of HP Tuners. I've since bought a wide-band and have been attempting to teaching myself to tune with the help of friends, various forums, youtube videos and a couple books. Couldn't be happier with the results so far.

The point i was trying to make is what you've already stated: It's not rocket science it just takes a bit of time, patience and the desire to learn something new.

and if you aren't learning something new then why bother, right?