The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Grimmzda

Ls swap parts list?

Ok, so im about to undertake a journey ive never done before. Im going to pull a 4.8 vortec v8 out of a 2000 chevy 1500, and swap it into my 72 c10. Im not super knowledgeable about any of it. But i want to do it and learn. I have books to help with rebuilding and swapping. My main question is this.. what all do i need to take from the donor truck to make my life easier? The 2000 chevy 1500 is a complete truck with a bad rearend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Grimmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Ls swap parts list?

The basic things you'll need are engine, acc. and trans..from there it depends on how you want to do your build..are you going to do your own harness or go store bought..you'll need the ecm which will need to be unlocked..is it dbw or dbc..dbw will need the gas pedal..since you have a complete truck to scavage parts from I'd hang on to it til you get done..you'll need air intake which can be the factory unit or use aftermarket tubes and filters..either way you'll ned the maf..you'll need the manifolds or headers..I'm not sure what works best on a 72 c10..you'll need to deal with the fuel system..I run walbro 255 pump and vette filter/reg inline..you can also run in tank units if preferred...your stock radiator should work..fans can be electric or belt driven...you'll need motor mount adapter plates..etc etc etc..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Ls swap parts list?

It really depends on which way you go with the swap.

If your going basic swap get everything that you can that plugs to the motor and ECU. You can strip the harness down are buy a stand alone. But get the whole harness while your able to.
Fuse & relay panels connectors anything dealing with the motor transmission get it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Grimmzda

Sadly i dont have the room to keep the parts truck around. Im wanting to get it in just basic swap. I can upgrade later. Just didnt know what all i HAD to have to make it function. Aside from engine, trans, accs., and harness/ecu.
Grimmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Might want to hang on to the driveshaft and at least some of the exhaust on the manifold end..and gas pedal if its dbw..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
darrellyates

I did this basic swap 9 years ago, although with a 5.3 and 4L60E. I got the complete wiring harness, and ECU (up front on drivers side). Wound up mounting it there on my build, although I did a complete new harness.

Advice? Get the computer. Get the complete air box. You will need the mass airflow sensor in the intake line. Mounted mine right behind a new K&N filter and plastic Airraid intake (cheap...). Looked good, worked great. Get the yoke from the trans and the front of the driveshaft. Get the driveshaft complete if you can... I bought a new engine harness. Cost a little, but made the process easy. I used Howell Engine Management harness. They were the only company that does their own computer programing. Was worth a little more for me to not have any finger pointing.

Lastly, make sure you have the VIN number/bill of sale from the donor vehicle. You will need that for programming the computer.

A 2000 Chevrolet/GMC is a drive by cable engine. So, you won't need the pedal. I used one from Lokar. Worked great. Lots of guys use the stock cable/gas pedal from these trucks, not sure of the year but if you have one it will work. I've likely got one lying around, if you were close I'd give it to you.

Good luck! I love the LS engines. Once done, they are trouble free and make decent power. Keep the 3.73 or lower gears, I swapped mine out for a 3.07 and it was too tall even with the 5.3. I'm going to stay with the 3.73 even with the 400+ HP LS3 on the new truck. They just are happier with that gear set.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote