The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
sbc10guy

msd 6al install now no start

Hi guys i just installed an msd 6al box on my truck and now it turns over but will not fire. I have check my wiring a good ten times and i cannot see what may be wrong. I have an accel 4 pin hei distributor. I used the supplied harness in it and have checked my 12 v switched source multiple times. Im at a loss on what it may be. The original box was pretty banged up even though the box it was shipped in was in perfect shape. Hopefully it was not damaged before shipping or a bad return sent back to me. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
sbc10guy

Re: msd 6al install now no start

I went through the test to see if it had spark. when i jump the plug the red light comes on but there is no spark. Im not sure what this means? bad box? The truck ran perfect and started the instant i hit the key before the install.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
leftybass209

Box or module inside the distributor.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
mdeal

I sell these boxes everyday at work. We have to help people troubleshoot them quite often, but normally it's something simple. So, I guess you're running an HEI Distributor? If so, you need to remove the module inside the HEI distributor and use the jumper wire (P/N 8861) to replace the module and hook the distributor to the purple and green wires from the box.
After doing this, the only pieces in the ignition puzzle are the box, alternator, Coil, and battery. The distributor is only a trigger, all the spark work is done inside the box.
Also, An MSD box will not work with less than 12-13 volts, so make sure your battery is fully charged.

Lets check the basics just to make sure you've got it hooked up correctly, the Orange wire goes to the + side of the coil in the cap, the small black wire goes to the - side of the coil. The small red wire is the ignition switched power wire and of course the heavy red and heavy black goes to the battery. Always go to the battery with the heavy wires! A bad ground can cause crazy problems with a CD ignition. White wire is not used in this case, and the Gray is your tach lead.

If you're still not getting spark to the engine after hooking it up this way, then you might have a problem inside the box or with your coil. As much as it sucks to sit on hold, I would call the MSD tech line and those guys could help you run through some troubleshooting tests to determine the problem. They're warranty dept is great. My best advice on calling them is to call as soon as they open up on a week day. Don't wait until after lunch time or you'll be on hold forever.

I hope this helped you out someway. Nothing is more aggravating than a wiring problem you can't figure out. Good Luck!

"Life is not easy for a boy named Sue."-Johnny Cash

Last edited by mdeal; 06-09-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to list some wires.
mdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
sbc10guy

I will check the exact voltage out of the battery again but i thought it was a little over 12. I have the main wires hooked directly to the battery positive and negitives and all wiring is hooked up just like it should be. I will also try calling msd if it is not the battery. Thank you for your time.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc10guy View Post
I will check the exact voltage out of the battery again but i thought it was a little over 12. I have the main wires hooked directly to the battery positive and negitives and all wiring is hooked up just like it should be. I will also try calling msd if it is not the battery. Thank you for your time.
Put it back and see if it runs.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote