The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
rsgt

Installed a later model spare tire hoist

I installed a spare tire hoist from a 98 Chevy truck. I use a piece of C- channel I had to mount it to but you could use a piece of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 angle iron also. Just have to do some measuring to get it where you want it. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
NaturalSnapple

Re: Installed a later model spare tire hoist

Very nice! What's the length of the C-channel that you used?
NaturalSnapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
53burb

awesome!!
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Myoldtruck

Im interested in this, need more info and pics. I cant figure out how to use my stock set up, just a bear to get the tire in. I ended up mounting the spare in the bed for now.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
yuccales

Very nice!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Frank_Zappa

Thanks rsgt. This is a great idea and I am going be doing the same. I wrestled with the stock spare tire carrier not to long ago and it was not fun at all. Close to torture actually when done in the field.
Frank_Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
demian5

More weight over the rear wheels is always a help.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
rsgt

Here are some more pictures. The C-channel I cut to 30 1/4 inch. I drill a 3/8 hole on each end and on the frame and use a 3/8 grade 8 bolt on each side to bolt it to the frame. You will have to make a hole in the licence plate bracket to installed a crank handle.
Attached Images

rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
NaturalSnapple

Thanks for the quick write up! I really need to do this as my spare is floating around in the bed right now and the stock location is such a pain to access.
NaturalSnapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
sick472

Thanks for the inspiration rsgt! I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread with my similar approach...

I used a Lippert 159056 RV Spare Tire Winch (60-80$). I only had to drill one hole in the truck's rear cross member for the mounting of the winch. One hole was already there and I am assuming it was an original hole. I added 2 pieces of aluminum angle, one in front of that cross member and one behind. These angles give tire something to tighten up against and used existing holes to mount to as well. The only downside to my approach is that you have to reach under the truck behind the passenger side tire to let it down. I did not want to drill the crank rod holes so that it came out the back. I am sure I will cuss this setup when the time comes to use the spare, but this approach requires much less drilling and fabrication. Here's the pics...

I had to drill the closest hole for the winch, the one just above where a crank handle would attach. The winch is as centered between the frame rails as my eyes could tell.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
sick472

I made a crank rod extension out of an old jack handle. I think the crank rod at the winch was 1/2" and the jack handle fit a little loose, but it needs to because the existing hole in the frame where the extension needs to get to is not in a perfect line. I short piece of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe would work instead of a jack handle, but be more loose fitting whereas a 1/2" sch 80 pipe would be better. Either way will work fine.

I also used an assembly of a 1/2" bolt, a few washers, a spring out of an oil filter, & 2 nuts to penetrate the frame. The spring is not a necessity, but I thought it would help keep it from rattling. The jack handle extension was drilled to match the winch pin hole and the bolt assembly was drilled to match the jack handle cotter pin hole on the other end.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
sick472

You can see the forward angle I added in the fisrt pic. I thought I could get away with only that one, but after putting the tire in, it was obvious that a big enough bump would cause the tire to bounce up at the rear. I added the second one that you can see in the second pic...

I little background in case it matters. The frame is a 1970 with a fleetside bed, the rim is off a 76 C10 that is a 15x7, and the tire is a 215/70R15. It is about 26.5" in diameter (smaller than the tires on the truck, but it's what I had and will work fine as a spare).
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #13
scrapmetalart

this is a great idea. thanks for sharing
Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 AM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

I did this on my 52 GMC at least 10 years ago. I searched the wrecking yards for a set up that would be easy to install. The unit I found was great fit and it only took a bit to get it mounted. I now wish I would have looked more closely at the cable style like the ones shown here. The unit I found uses a chain to raise and lower the wheel and it works fine, but when the tire is raised up the extra chain sits in the rim and rattles. We made a little mat for the rim to help quiet it down but occasionally you hear it jingling.
Just food for thought.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #15
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Having learned this the hard way I will tell you to take out that stock pin & clip retainer that holds the drive tube to the gear box drive rod and replace it with a grade-8 bolt and compression type lock nut.

When the clip fails (note I didn't say if) the drive rod will not move because the pin holding the drive tube fell out some unknown time ago. This won't allow you to lower the spare tire when you really need it and the gear box drive rod is next to impossible to reach with a spare tire in place unless you wheel has very large openings in its design.

I would also suggest taking the housing apart and cleaning it out then packing it with new grease. It will give you a chance to inspect the condition of the entire cable and the condition of the internals.

I like the design and simplicity of these parts and retrofit them all the time but have had two fail on vehicles that they came in stock. On my 98 Tahoe the cable failed while I was driving down the street. I have taken to putting a cable lock around the tire and trough the wheel and over the crossmember as both a secondary safety measure and as a theft deterrent measure since there is no easy way to lock the drive mechanism of these that I have seen.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
BigBird05

That is a great idea! My truck doesn't have any of the original spare tire mounting parts left.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

All you young bucks can go ahead and lay on or kneel on the ground/mud to get that tire out. I bought a bed mount bracket and put the spare tire on the left side just behind the wheel well. The AAA service guy will truly appreciate that, if I get a flat tire. I've laid/knelt/rolled in enough mud/oil/grease/sand/rocks to last me a lifetime.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
All you young bucks can go ahead and lay on or kneel on the ground/mud to get that tire out. I bought a bed mount bracket and put the spare tire on the left side just behind the wheel well. The AAA service guy will truly appreciate that, if I get a flat tire. I've laid/knelt/rolled in enough mud/oil/grease/sand/rocks to last me a lifetime.
I did one even better. I bought load range E rated tires, Have not had one flat on the road in 14 years. Heck I even picked up a large fence post screw in my tire and it did not go flat.

I could hear it going down the road. tick, tick, tick, tick
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #19
RichardJ

Outstanding!
Old 06-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #20
custom10nut

I LOVE that idea. Now I’m gonna go out looking for one to put on my truck.
This setup will be much easier to find than one from our era trucks.
What year range did this come on?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Having learned this the hard way I will tell you to take out that stock pin & clip retainer that holds the drive tube to the gear box drive rod and replace it with a grade-8 bolt and compression type lock nut.

When the clip fails (note I didn't say if) the drive rod will not move because the pin holding the drive tube fell out some unknown time ago. This won't allow you to lower the spare tire when you really need it and the gear box drive rod is next to impossible to reach with a spare tire in place unless you wheel has very large openings in its design.

I would also suggest taking the housing apart and cleaning it out then packing it with new grease. It will give you a chance to inspect the condition of the entire cable and the condition of the internals.

I like the design and simplicity of these parts and retrofit them all the time but have had two fail on vehicles that they came in stock. On my 98 Tahoe the cable failed while I was driving down the street. I have taken to putting a cable lock around the tire and trough the wheel and over the crossmember as both a secondary safety measure and as a theft deterrent measure since there is no easy way to lock the drive mechanism of these that I have seen.
After reading this having to hear to the chain rattle doesn't seem too terrible.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #22
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I built a crossmember for the one on my wife's truck that supports both sides, the way it was factory mounted. 5 bucks at the junkyard so I bought a few for my projects.
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote