The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Truck requires two ignition turns to start

I get it for cold starts, but this is every time. I've been planning for new plugs, spark wires and an HEI dist. tune-up anyway. My guess is that would do the trick.

A new Edlelbrock carb was installed 9 months ago, which I'd rather not talk about (ha!), but it runs well, and this is a more recent problem. The fuel filter is also new. However, on the second turn of the ignition, sometimes I need to give it gas.

What do you think is the problem? Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Truck requires two ignition turns to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
HEI dist, Edlelbrock carb... sometimes I need to give it gas.

What do you think is the problem? Thank you
Setting the choke is what it sounds like. You should pump the gas once to set the choke and possibly a couple more times when starting an old truck.

Its an old (non-fuel injected) vehicle and that happens. No gas in carb and it needs to crank to get it in there.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Setting the choke is what it sounds like. You should pump the gas once to set the choke and possibly a couple more times when starting an old truck.

Its an old (non-fuel injected) vehicle and that happens. No gas in carb and it needs to crank to get it in there.
That only applies to a cold start, right?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It's just what a carb does. Carbs can be fickle. We all get so used to turning the key with newer FI vehicles and become spoiled with rigs that start immediately.

I'd say it's normal. A little heat soak, and a little excess fuel left in the bowls or not enough fuel... it just happens.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
paul blair

Electric or manual choke? Idle mixture screws set lean or rich? Just two simple things to check! Did this problem happen when you changed carb? The fuel, climate and condition of the engine play a part. What altitude? Check spark plugs to see if rich or lean condition
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul blair View Post
Electric or manual choke? Idle mixture screws set lean or rich? Just two simple things to check! Did this problem happen when you changed carb? The fuel, climate and condition of the engine play a part. What altitude? Check spark plugs to see if rich or lean condition
Electric choke.

I believe this became a problem months after the carb. install. Seems it occurs more often anyway. Now every start requires two triggers, doesn't matter the temperature.

4800 elevation, including when the carb. was installed. Someone else did it - I mentioned I didn't want to talk about it.

Spark plugs. If I had to guess I need new plugs.

I can't say I know how to ID correct fuel mixture, screws or the adjustment process. Can't speak for too rich or lean spark plugs either, but it's easy to find out.

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
1SG.Rob

When I picked up my 396 after a rebuild and Edelbrock carb added, they told me to pump the gas twice and then hold it cracked open while I turn the key. It fires right up every time I do this. When I forget, it definitely takes a couple of turns.
1SG.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
When I picked up my 396 after a rebuild and Edelbrock carb added, they told me to pump the gas twice and then hold it cracked open while I turn the key. It fires right up every time I do this. When I forget, it definitely takes a couple of turns.
I assume you mean warm start. What do you mean by "hold it cracked open"? My understanding of carbs. is shallow.

Other than that, thanks for that info. Will give it a try.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
1SG.Rob

Quote:
I assume you mean warm start. What do you mean by "hold it cracked open"? My understanding of carbs. is shallow.

Other than that, thanks for that info. Will give it a try.
Pump the gas pedal twice, and then just hold it a bit down with your foot while you turn the key. I've only had it since early June, it's prob around 55 when I start it in the morning to go to work. Maybe when colder temps come it will be a lot harder to start.
1SG.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
geezer#99

Quote:
Electric choke.

I believe this became a problem months after the carb. install. Seems it occurs more often anyway. Now every start requires two triggers, doesn't matter the temperature.

4800 elevation, including when the carb. was installed. Someone else did it - I mentioned I didn't want to talk about it.

Spark plugs. If I had to guess I need new plugs.

I can't say I know how to ID correct fuel mixture, screws or the adjustment process. Can't speak for too rich or lean spark plugs either, but it's easy to find out.

Thank you.
Your timing has a lot to do with it!
What's your initial timing?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
paul blair

Try this, might help. Cold engine remove air cleaner, loosen three screws on choke housing, rotate housing till the choke valves just start to open and back till they just close and tighten 3 screws. The electric choke is set to open quicker. Run engine up to operating temp, make sure choke is open, then slowly turn mixture screws in one at a time until the rpms drop and then back out 1/2 turn or so till rpms increase, lean mixture! rich mixture back screws out until engine runs rough then back in, rich idle mixture. I think at your altitude it should be on the lean side. Good Luck
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Pump the gas pedal twice, and then just hold it a bit down with your foot while you turn the key. I've only had it since early June, it's prob around 55 when I start it in the morning to go to work. Maybe when colder temps come it will be a lot harder to start.
This truck has no cold starting issues. Even when it's real cold. The issue is when it's warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul blair View Post
Try this, might help. Cold engine remove air cleaner, loosen three screws on choke housing, rotate housing till the choke valves just start to open and back till they just close and tighten 3 screws. The electric choke is set to open quicker. Run engine up to operating temp, make sure choke is open, then slowly turn mixture screws in one at a time until the rpms drop and then back out 1/2 turn or so till rpms increase, lean mixture! rich mixture back screws out until engine runs rough then back in, rich idle mixture. I think at your altitude it should be on the lean side. Good Luck
I'll give it a shot. Nice description, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Your timing has a lot to do with it!
What's your initial timing?
Don't know. The guy who installed the carb. was the last to adjust it. I'll have to check it out. From what I've read 10 degrees advanced is about right. Seems my 71 was set at 10+.

Appreciate the help

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
geezer#99

At your elevation you need closer to 16 initial or more.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
At your elevation you need closer to 16 initial or more.
16 advanced huh? Sounds like a lot, but noted.