The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Ole Greenie

Painless LS wiring harness help!

Hi Folks,

I'm coming to you for help for installing this LS wiring harness 60217 into a 1970 C10 Truck

I'll outline the issues I'm having:

1) Since these trucks don't have a starter relay, I have to install one. There is a yellow wire with the PNP transmission switch pigtail that says "to start relay." Further reading the instructions say to connect this wire to terminal 85 of the relay (not yet installed). Does this suppose I use terminal 85 as the ground terminal or the activating terminal (86)? The relay doesn't care but i'm inclined to think that it matters to the PCM and probably the activating/exciting terminal. Do I have to rewire for the starter? If so, how? Note, I have a 7 prong ignition switch yet a 5 plug connector. Do any of these have continuous power through "Start?" If so which one?

2) Another purple/white wire in the same group says "From start switch." Further, it says that it should get power in the start position. Which IGN wire is this (Color) and is there a position at the fuse block so I don't have to strip insulation?

3) There is a pink wire with the dash group. It is not labeled and follows the DLC/warning light pig tail. Where does it go? Ignition ACC power?

4) There is one other connector with the DLC/warning light tail that has a flat female connector as well. It is black and not labeled coming from the light. Is this a ground wire? If so, w hy does it have a connector?

5) I'm trying to find O2 sensors that go with this harness. I've tried two types and the connectors do not fit the harness. At this point I'm about to cut the harness and splice the O2 sensors. Which O2 sensors should I use?

Ya'll, thanks so much! I sure therre are a few here who have installed this harness or one like it into our trucks...so I'm pinging. Again, thanks so much!

John
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Custom 68

Re: Painless LS wiring harness help!

Hi John, first thank you for your service. I used this harness about 11 years ago before there was much info on the swaps since then I have made a couple so I don't remember all the ins and outs of this harness.
Item 1. I don't remember doing anything like this. I did not add a relay for the start side. I guess I cant answer that.
Item 2. I don't think you can pull this from the fuse block I believe this is the larger purple wire that goes directly to your starter. This needs to be "hot" when cranking the engine.
item 3. This wire could either be for ignition power or the one that goes the the brake interupt side.
item 4, I am surprised it is black. The way the light works you add power to the light and the computer supplies the ground. I will look a little more but mine has 12 volts to it and the ground side comes from the PCM.
item 5. the sensors should be Delco AFS 106. I believe these are ones from a Silverado.
Good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Ole Greenie

Re: Painless LS wiring harness help!

Thanks so much Dave!

I am slowly figuring this out. O2 sensors were perfect. The #3 pink wire is IGN so I'll connect it to the fure block. The #2 wire purple/white I believe is IGN to the starter...same colors as factory. #5 DLC, I'll supply Acc power.

Thanks again!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote