The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
NeedATruck

New member-drivetrain questions

Hello! I am new to the forum and considering a 67-72 Chevy or GMC in the future. My desire is a 4WD, either pickup or Blazer, but I have some questions on how the 4WD in the K20 functions, having just enough experience with older 4WD trucks to be dangerous.

How exactly does one go about engaging the factory 4WD system? I know that electronic shift on the fly didn't exist back then. Can the transfer case be engaged completely from inside? Do you have to get out and manually lock the hubs or are they already locked? If you don't have to get out and manually lock the hubs, can the system be engaged while the vehicle is in motion at all or do you have to be completely stopped?

How robust is the factory transfer case? I don't plan on doing any offroading, but do tow a boat with my current truck. My plan would be a mild LS, 400-450 HP. Would any upgrades to the factory drive-train be warranted at this power level? I assume the rear end and trans (I'd probably use a 4L60E or 4l80E) would be fine, but don't know about the transfer case and front axle.
NeedATruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Alex V.

Re: New member-drivetrain questions

Most all the '67-72 trucks are going to have manual lockout hubs and manual, unsynchronized transfer case, which means to engage 4WD you'll need to stop, lock in the hubs from outside the vehicle, and shift the transfer case before moving. You can shift the T-case from 4HI back to 2HI while moving, without unlocking the hubs, but leaving the hubs locked in is only going to put more drag on the engine and more wear on associated drivetrain components.

A lot of these trucks came with the N205 transfer case which can take substantial amounts of power, so no worries there.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
NeedATruck

Re: New member-drivetrain questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
Most all the '67-72 trucks are going to have manual lockout hubs and manual, unsynchronized transfer case, which means to engage 4WD you'll need to stop, lock in the hubs from outside the vehicle, and shift the transfer case before moving. You can shift the T-case from 4HI back to 2HI while moving, without unlocking the hubs, but leaving the hubs locked in is only going to put more drag on the engine and more wear on associated drivetrain components.

A lot of these trucks came with the N205 transfer case which can take substantial amounts of power, so no worries there.
Good information. Thank you. All of my 4x4 vehicles were built 2001 and later, it was never a worry.
NeedATruck is offline   Reply With Quote