The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
davischevy

1972 350 single exhaust

I put an original truck on the lift yesterday that still has the original exhaust. It's not clean, but original.

The thing that jumped out at me the most is the tailpipe. Notice the last 18" or so of the tailpipe is larger than the pipe from the muffler. I forgot to measure.

Also the downpipe on the passenger side has a curve at the starter, and on the driver side, a flat spot on top of the pipe.

I don't think many people will use this info, but here it is.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: 1972 350 single exhaust

More
Attached Images

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Anything to do with the history of these trucks is interesting. That said, I would be amazed if that's the original exhaust but I'll take your word for it.... not trying to argue. Reason I am amazed is back in the day, gas was leaded and I assumed it was also corrosive, which would explain my need to have exhaust repairs done every few years or so on my K20. The thought of an exhaust system surviving this long is astounding.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Ironangel

All the hangers and clamps are factory. I just finished a resto on a 67 stepper with a 350 under the hood. Trying to find a 2-1/4" flared flange to fit the factory rams horn manifolds proved to be nearly impossible. I wound up using a pair of lazar cut 3/8 plate flanges with slotted holes to accommodate the 2-1/4" down pipes. PS. Lead is not corrosive and neither was the gasoline back in the day. Todays gasoline however is with the alcohol and moisture it absorbs, it's breaking down when you get it out of the pump!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
brown7373

Pipes are aluminized now days, and I don't think they were anything but raw steel back in the day. I agree, replacing pipes was something done regularly every few years. Now days, I have aluminized pipes that are 25 years old and still look new. I now live in Florida, so maybe a few years with salted roads may change that, I don't know.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
muley

Mine still has the original crossover single exhaust system. The pickup came factory with a 350/SM465 combo. I had an old muffler guy ( old as in he's older than I am, which is old ) look at the driver exhaust pipe that was "hammered flat" on top. He told me that was standard factory exhaust for a standard transmission so the clutch linkage rod would not hit the pipe. It now made sense to me remembering as a kid I had seen several like that over the years. Auto trans was an added option back then. Everything came with a standard trans unless you paid extra.
WORK : A necessary evil that finances
what I really like to do.
muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Anything to do with the history of these trucks is interesting. That said, I would be amazed if that's the original exhaust but I'll take your word for it.... not trying to argue. Reason I am amazed is back in the day, gas was leaded and I assumed it was also corrosive, which would explain my need to have exhaust repairs done every few years or so on my K20. The thought of an exhaust system surviving this long is astounding.
You are correct in the amazed part.

The muffler was the first to go on these original systems, because of condensation. The muffler on this truck has been changed.

This truck came from Arizona and wasn't driven much after it go there.

The Y pipe is obviously original, because of the indentations.

I can't believe anyone would try to reproduce the tailpipe on a work truck.

The hangers don't prove the intermediate pipe is original, but it's very common for muffler shops to cut the lower part of the original hanger and replace it with a clamp.