The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
bigrigpardo

how to tell original vs aftermarket inner fenders

i just bought a big load of parts from a guy and it came with a very decent set of inner fenders only 2 small spots of rust between the 2. but I am not 100% sure if they are originals or not. are there any tell tale signs to know a repop? I would like to keep them for my resto down the road but only if I can be more certain that they are correct and will fit. I seen a repop one on a truck I sold and it fit like crap.
bigrigpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: how to tell original vs aftermarket inner fenders

My guess is the best indicator would be the mounting plates underneath the top portion of the fender. You might post pictures what yours look like. That said, GM may have sported some variances as well.

There might be a weight difference, but I know some replacements claim to use the same gauge steel. If I remember right, the original fenders are 9-10 lbs.

I haven't heard good things about replacements. Big bummer.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
saxart

I would look for large rust holes throughout the front where they bolt to the bottom edge of the core support. If there are many large rust holes, they are factory original, if no holes, then they are repops.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Mike 'em and post the thickness and we can likely sort it out. I have OEM that I will mike and post the thickness. I seriously doubt that the rice farmers are using the same gauge metal.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

I used Tri Plus reproduction inner fenders on my truck. They actually weighed slightly more than the originals and fit very well. I think I only had to enlarge a couple holes slightly. I did not see any glaring differences between the repops and originals.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I used Tri Plus reproduction inner fenders on my truck. They actually weighed slightly more than the originals and fit very well. I think I only had to enlarge a couple holes slightly. I did not see any glaring differences between the repops and originals.
Good to know Jim. Think I've read before some repops were thicker. How long ago did you buy em? These are sure sparkly: http://www.autometaldirect.com/tripl...ban-p-479.html

41 lbs. for one fender? What they do, build them of led?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I would look for large rust holes throughout the front where they bolt to the bottom edge of the core support. If there are many large rust holes, they are factory original, if no holes, then they are repops.
Ha ha ha ha
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 12-26-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Good to know Jim. Think I've read before some repops were thicker. How long ago did you buy em? These are sure sparkly: http://www.autometaldirect.com/tripl...ban-p-479.html
I bought them in 2010 or 2011.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I bought them in 2010 or 2011.
Interesting. I'll keep them in mind, because my RH fender may be beyond repair for super..... Someone hit a rock. By the time they're finished, just as well to buy replacements if they work.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

When I first redid the front end of my truck back around 2008 I replaced the passenger side inner fender with one from the aftermarket. Fits like crap and took a lot of tweaking to get it to fit right. I always expect a little tweaking to get aftermarket tins to fit right, but c'mon! It took hourts to get this thing to line up right to bolt in. Even had to hog out a few of the holes.

I have recently replaced the drivers side inner fender about 3 months ago. New inner fender fit damn near like an OEM part! Had it bolted on in less than half an hour! I got it from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. So I have to say the quality and fit of the inner fenders has improved over the last 9 years.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

IF I recall correctly, my original driver's side inner fender had 4 (3?) nuts welded to the underside for the bolts (circled in red) that attach the reinforcement shown in the picture below. The Tri Plus repops had the holes but no attached nuts. The hole for the alternator wire harness attachment circled in yellow may have also been missing. That may help the OP to I.D. his inner fenders (at least the left side) as original or repop.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-26-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
IF I recall correctly, my original driver's side inner fender had 4 (3?) nuts welded to the underside for the bolts (circled in red) that attach the reinforcement shown in the picture below. The Tri Plus repops had the holes but no attached nuts. The hole for the alternator wire harness attachment circled in yellow may have also been missing. That may help the OP to I.D. his inner fenders (at least the left side) as original or repop.
Good call. Four fixed nuts, or should be. Could be year variances, I suppose.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Mike 'em and post the thickness and we can likely sort it out. I have OEM that I will mike and post the thickness. I seriously doubt that the rice farmers are using the same gauge metal.
OEM (Original Equipment) measures .043" thick. Post yours and state aftermarket or OEM.

Last edited by CaptRMW; 01-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
harpo231

OEM not so good , they came with shims most of the time , so me thinks always expect fitment issues,
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The aftermarket drivers side inner fender I Bought from Classic Heartbeat 2 months ago has the 4 nuts attacched to the fender to bolt the brace in place. However, they do not line up with the holes in my stock brace. I had to hog the holes out in the brace for it to fit.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote