The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
jojo-munson

New stereo with 4 inch speakers

Just thought I'd share the adventure I went through of putting a new stereo system in the truck. Thanks to all the posts on this site this for giving me great ideas on how to do this!

My grandpa didn't buy the truck with radio, but at some point he installed an aftermarket tape player so he and my grandma could listen to audio books while they took long drives going camping. Well at the time I was handed the truck, the radio and speakers (which were just thrown under the seat without a box or anything) were long dead.

Since the dash was already cut up I decided to get a cheapo bluetooth stereo so I could listen to audio books and podcasts myself. That's the easy bit, since the dash was already cut for the previous stereo. The hard part was deciding where to put speakers. I read that with a pair of 4" ones I could fit them in the stock location.

Name:  midway_point.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  61.0 KB

I cut a little 4"x10" piece of particle board, and drilled out the appropriate holes.

Next challenge was figuring out how to actually attach the speakers without a bracket. The speaker magnets were very strong, so I applied some command strips and actually stuck them to the stereo insert itself.

Name:  radio_dash.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  38.2 KB

The speakers actually get really loud, certainly loud enough to bump tunes while my hair blows in the wind and the sound quality is better than I expected. The only issue is that when I try to plug my phone in and charge it, the stereo pops and turns off after a few seconds. Not a big deal, but oh well.

Maybe now I should fabricate a plate of something to cover the stolen ash tray...

Name:  radio_vent.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: New stereo with 4 inch speakers

In my opimion old truck needs old style radio
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
jojo-munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
In my opimion old truck needs old style radio
Brotherstrucks sells an old style looking radio with all the modern amenities that I'd like to install some day. It's beyond my means at the moment, but it's on the list that's for sure
Old 01-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
BCOWANWHEELS

Me too but am/fm only 4 me
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
68panelman

When you're dash is cut already, like my K5 is too, what options do you have for a old style radio?
I'm thinking JoJo is a young fella as well. I would not go through the hassle of dash repair with my truck, just not worth the effort
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
bigmac73

I had a local woodworker type build me a center console box that sat on the hump and it fit some 6x9's and had a couple of cup holders and a tray in the top.

I think he charged me 65 bucks and I used it for years ,
I did not want to cut holes in my doors.

I finally went out and got a pair of kick panel speakers sets and did a little upgrade on the installed speakers
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Mike C

Here is my short step and how I did the speakers. They are in the door panel and not the bottom of the door. Get tired of it and replace door panel. But if you read the thread, it's the 3rd truck I've done that way and getting ready to do the 4th.

Personally, cut the dash, install awesome stereo, move on down the road.

FWIW, when I cut the dash in my Jimmy, dual know radios were still fairly common, but lacking in features even then. My first CD Player cost $750 in 1989 when that was REAL money.

Now you can build a KILLER complete system for $750, and who the heck wants a CD player?! LOL

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659786
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
When you're dash is cut already, like my K5 is too, what options do you have for a old style radio?
I'm thinking JoJo is a young fella as well. I would not go through the hassle of dash repair with my truck, just not worth the effort
I agree, if the dash is already cut just enjoy all the modern options of stereos...my 72 is not cut and I have an older aftermarket cassette player/am fm stereo in it, I am going to get a autosound stereo for it when I can afford it
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote