The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
veltex

stereo hacker

I thought long and hard about what to do about my radio situation on a virgin truck, I think I was momentarily possessed, not only had the dash hacked for new cd player but the doors too for 6x9s, is there a councelling therapy group for this? Sure sounds good though, and spent less than fiddle farting around with a stock am/fm setup.
veltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If I were you, I'd change my name and head for the hills. CPNE is going to send some guys out to visit you after doing this.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well its all a matter of taste and preference but id never do it to a classic truck. Luckilly there are stillplenty of replacement parts if ya ever wanna change your ways

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I say slice them! There aren't too many other options besides getting a aftermarket CD controller that fits the dash, or getting kickpanel speakers (which suck IMO). My dash is sliced and i wouldnt' have it any other way
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
Moloko
Hoarding Rusty Objects

Mount the new radio in the glove box instead of the dash, and mount the speakers in the kick panels and behind the rear seat in 6x9 boxes.

Follow me on Youtube! - http://www.youtube.com/user/FuelInjectionSucks
Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
imdarren

veltex,
Don't worry about it!
You can always "patch up sheet metal".
You will enjoy the sound of a newer system.

Did the truck have the original AM/FM Radio in it?
If so, and it worked, and would consider selling it, Please let me know. E-Mail at darrengale67@hotmail.com

Thanks! Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
cableguy0

good job man enjoy your new tunes it will sound much better besides its your truck do what you want
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

My old AM radio does not work so I am trying to decide do I cut the Dash or Not? It is a tough choice for me!
Old 12-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Moloko
Hoarding Rusty Objects

Quote:
Originally posted by s95930
My old AM radio does not work so I am trying to decide do I cut the Dash or Not? It is a tough choice for me!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Sorry, the last owners of my Chevelle and truck both cut the dash, when they could have just easily hung the radio underneith. The most annoying thing is both of the owners put in the cheapest radio's I've ever seen. What was the point?

Old 12-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
truck69

Question

I am undecided also..I have also a old am radio. The stereo shop said they can cut the doors for the speakers but I am not sure if I want that. I was looking at Chevy Duty and they have a stereo that fits the same holes as the old one. I still have 3 months to decide.
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:29 PM   #11
Moloko
Hoarding Rusty Objects

Just a tip, if you mount speakers in the doors is isnt going to sound that good. They tend to rattle like hell due too all the loose goodies inside the doors. 2 6x9 boxes (which you can buy at most electronics stores for less than 20 bucks) are a better option.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You just wait, a big black car with dark windows and a "CPNE" personalized license plate is going to pull up at all of you hacker's houses someday and he will handle this.

You've been warned.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

This has been gone over here, time and time again,

Cut the dash, If that's what you want. If you want better sound, There isn't a choice but to cut something. Look at the newer rigs, Where is their speakers?? Not hiding under the dash!! And the head isn't an antiquated AM unit..

If you ever do want to return to stock, there are lots of these things in junkyards to get the parts from, or even guys on this board.

And with the guys like CPNE, and Moloko, There will always be a great representation of the Factory look out there. And it "Should" make theirs worth more money when they decide to sell.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #14
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Welcome to the club of dash hacker's
Attached Images

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #15
casey

I'm totally against cutting the dash for myself, but if your into Cd players(great sounding music) its not like if you cut the dash your going to want to go back to an old factory am radio. I don't think by cutting the dash its going to wreak the whole truck, its like saying if you had a 50's car you have to run bias ply tires, or its not right.I think maybe some of us older guys totally appreciate stock cause we were around when theses vehicles were made and like to keep them stock, I grew up in the 60's so I have no appreciation for the model A and 30's car so If I had one I would totally rod it, is that sacreligious. but I do agree with Moloko I have speakers in the doors and they don't sound any better than if the were under the seat
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #16
tom hand
CCRider

Truck has the factory carpet on the bottom of the doors...I cut the doors for 6 x 9 s days after getting it...over 15 years ago. the doors are easy to fix...I couldn't bring myself to cut he dash...I have aways had stereos that fit the hole....I now have the custom autosounds am/fm CD controller with a 6 disc changer in the console...sounds great, no rattle
Old 12-06-2003, 09:24 PM   #17
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

As everyone else said, it's your truck do what you like. I put 6x9 3 ways in the doors. They are good speakers, but it was a bad choice. They are kinda in the way, stuff rattles, and the sound isn't that great because of the location. Keep the stock radio, and get a CD changer that hooks up to the radio. The previous owner of my truck hacked the dash and installed an AM/FM casette deck, so I just put the CD changer in the glove box (custom made) and it plays through the regular radio. You can have the best of both worlds. I set my radio to FM 89.1 and press play on the CD controller. It works great. Just some thoughts from being there and doing that. John.

PS---Don't hack anything.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:48 PM   #18
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I'm with you. Just about to carve out a hole for a modern CD player in mine too. I already cut out the grill for the speaker on top of the dash and welded it up.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:34 AM   #19
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'm just looking for doors nice enough to cut up for speakers.
If they rattle...clean out the door and tighten everything up. If they sound tinny, then add some sound deadner.
As far as cutting the dash, I have gone both ways in the past, (one cut, the other got a crappy 2 knob that somewhat fit) I think I'll try somethign new with the one ton.
S stock-ish AM FM radio. I'm not pockey, so something out of a mid 70's will work. as long as it is chrome and looks period correct. Then an aftermarket EX and maybe a small booster, a CD chainger, and 6X9's in the doors, with the aftermarket carpet covering them.
That's the plan...in reality, I am used to not having tunes, and will probably leave the radio delete plate on there for quite a while.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:38 AM   #20
veltex

dash and doors

thanks for all the replys guys (and gals), like I said the deed is already done, I like it, just wish it was an easier decision to make. Stock is great to a point, but give me a cool street rod any day over the non-air, bad brakes, weak drive train, etc., restoration. What would most of you like to take on a power tour type function, a top notch modern gear street rod, or a restored model A or T? Think about it.
veltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:24 AM   #21
dinnut

BOTH. lol. they both will get attention
Old 12-07-2003, 06:30 AM   #22
1969 GMC

I refuse to cut any sheet metal on my truck. I live in the salt belt, though, and if you don't watch, you may lose 10 pounds of steel a year (or more).

First, I removed the fugly AM/FM/8 track player the p/o put in (it still worked, lol, my dad had a Kiss 8 track for it, but it sounded like sh!t), then smashed it for some "destructive therapy" so I wouldn't be tempted to cut metal. Then, I got a cheap radio delete plate so there was no gaping hole, and put the speakers I pirated out of my Oldsmobile 88 in the truck. The 6x9's are still in the little carpeted boxes that were hung under the rear package shelf in the Olds (If you can't tell, I am a cheap SOB). Oh, and my Pioneer AM/FM/CD head unit is in the glovebox, and its not as big of a hassle as some people will lead you to believe, the remote control makes it work great.

EDIT: wooooo, post # 1969....lol
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #23
matt67350

Dash Hackers UNITE!!!!!
(may the saw be with you)
Old 12-08-2003, 12:32 AM   #24
D-Money

My dash is already hacked up for a nice CD player but if I had to do it again I would by the Kenwood factory looking AM/FM radio with the optional CD changer that you can put wherever you want. Then you don't have to hack up the dash. It is all factory looking
Old 12-08-2003, 06:34 AM   #25
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally posted by matt67350
Dash Hackers UNITE!!!!!
(may the saw be with you)

18 VOLT DEWALT, SawsAll,,,... Goes anywhere.....

RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote