The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
hank scorpio

My C10 / Grandfather Tribute Guitars

( See this thread for more back story: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765317 )

Robert Kauer and his 1964 C10
In May of 2018 I lost the last of my grandparents and name sake of the Kauer clan, Bob Kauer. While not entirely unexpected, it was still a hard loss for myself and my family and the closing of that generation of family for us. When things settled out, I was lucky and honored to have inherited maybe my most favorite possession of his, his 1964 Chevrolet C10. This truck was extra sentimental to us as a family as not only did my dad grow up in this truck, he learned much of his mechanical ability working on it himself. A lot of our collective skill sets can trace themselves back to this truck (including one exceedingly long, hot drive from the Bay Area back home to Sacramento as a kid… in the summer in the middle of the bench seat!).

Grandpa Bob I think early 1990's? Honestly he looked like this my entire life.

Doing ShopTruck™ things!

In the last year and half since I’ve taken over stewardship, I haven’t done much other than maintenance (which is something Bob did to crazy degree! “CHECK THE LOG!”) and use the truck extensively for lumber runs, UPS runs etc. It’s been a great “shop truck” for the last year and a half! There was one thing that needed attention, the bed wood. It was starting to rot and was painted with some oddly heavy, horrible green… honestly I don’t know what. Enamel? Latex? God only knows. I decided to take a page from our accessory line and replace the bed making my own bamboo boards for it. Low and behold when I started to take the old wood out, some of the boards were still salvageable and I was quite surprised that it was Pine. An idea began to form in my head about putting this wood to use.

Always a fan of classic Gretsch’s I thought why not do a tribute to those Knotty Pine Roundup guitars complete with C10 themed inlays and other details. The plan was to build one for myself and one for my Dad as there would be no Kauer Guitars without him. Not just his experience, knowledge, wisdom, perseverance of owning his own business and starting our shop from the ground up. While we may have a Paul Sr / Jr relationship at times, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I figured this would make a great tribute to The Truck and Grandpa Bob we could keep forever (and see from the living room!).

One of the most remarkable things about this pine was its 50 odd years of exposure to the elements left each piece with it’s own unique mineral and oil streaking! This is Dad’s Super Chief and it features TV Jones T-Armonds.

I was also facing a personal dilemma as this would be my third personal Super Chief. Generally as builders, I think we all know we can’t keep them all and I’ve always tried to keep it down to 1 of each model (and sometimes not even that)… but I LOVE Super Chief. I did some thinking and decided why not build mine as a 12 string. I absolutely loved the 12 string we did for Scott Holiday’s double neck Super Chief last year and then I could easily justify adding another one to the stable. This one features TV Jones Supertrons!

An homage to the Round Up Gretsch’s with their western motif inlays, we engraved in a series of items from the truck including the: hubcap, fender badge, air cleaner, bowtie emblem a grill logo (Dad’s has the actual grill). Also the Super Chief script on the pickguard font changed to match the Chevrolet valve cover font.

Because Dad and I share a shop it can be hard to build a guitar for him right in the open without him realizing it but the guys in the shop all did a great job of keeping this one’s eventual owner a surprize. We may have gone a bit out of our way to torture him a little and tell him it was already sold… It made for a most excellent Christmas gift along with a new shirt design “Kauer and Son’s Guitar Delivery” featuring a picture of the Shop Truck.

One thing missing, we also took Bob’s duty belt (he was a Police officer) and reworked it into a guitar strap to go with the guitar. I’ll amend this post when I remember to grab a picture of it!

Maybe it should be Kauer and Sons and Daughters! That’s Max with his Titan KR.5 he built 2 years ago and has been playing in Open E ever since. It’ll be time for Lucy to build her first one later this year!

I couldn't be happier with how these turned out!

(future amendment: We totally forgot to take pictures of the back which are a pair of just stunning pieces of Maple that are somewhere between angel step quilt and flame...)
Simpsons Nerd

Last edited by hank scorpio; 01-06-2020 at 10:12 AM.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
MikeN

Re: My C10 / Grandfather Tribute Guitars

That's pretty cool!
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
scottofksu

Yes! As a guitarist and classic truck with family stories lover, I 100% approve of this post! Lol
Awesome job! Those guitars look amazing!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Very cool!
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Great back story

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
jayoldschool

It's amazing how many of us classic car guys cross over to guitars. By the time I was 16, I had two cars, a 1956 and a 1971, and a couple of guitars as well. Thirty years later... a few more of each, lol
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #7
Heater63

Outstanding! Great story!
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #8
hank scorpio

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
It's amazing how many of us classic car guys cross over to guitars. By the time I was 16, I had two cars, a 1956 and a 1971, and a couple of guitars as well. Thirty years later... a few more of each, lol
There’s a lot of us who build guitars for a living who building cars is their main hobby too! Goes kind of hand in hand.
Simpsons Nerd
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
botoepfer

so very cool !
botoepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
J Williams

Well from a guy who has grandpa’s 63 C10 and slowly fixing it up, I must say that’s way awesome! Cool story man