The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Hugger

Not really a Truck question, but...

I installed a remote starter on my wifes car this weekend, and I'm a little concerned...
The main power feed has 2 fuses inline, (just because 1 was on the relay side, and on was on the GM specific T-harness.

The one closest to the source, FRIED, and I mean FRIED...
I took a picture of it, and will try and post tonight. The whole fuse holder melted, and the fuse disenegrated. I could not pull the fuse out, just had to clip the holder out of the line.
I went ahead and put another fuse holder in line, and put a 25 AMP fuse in it. (The other one, closer to the relays, is a 30)
Everything seems to work fine, and the only heat in the system, is at that new fuse. I ran it for 15 minutes, and that new fuse got very warm (almost hot) but nowhere near the heat it would have taken to melt the other one like it did.

The other fuse downstream from this one, towards the relays, stays cool??
All the other wires stay cool...just about 3 inchs either side of this first fuse is where the heat is beeing generated.

Is there such a thing as too many fuses. Is this causing resistance, which is causing heat???

The system is not designed to have 2 fuses, like I said above, I just left them in because they were there. After I saw the , melt-down, I was glad I had, but then I got to thinking that maybe that caused the melt-down.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't want the wifes car warming up that much this winter (Like Fire!!).

Thanks, Erik
Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote