The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rear view mirror glue. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828325)

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-01-2021 09:54 PM

Rear view mirror glue.

To top off a wonderful couple of weeks today my rear view mirror fell off when I closed my trucks door.

When I put it on I scraped the windshield plus sanded down the area with 80 grit to get a good bite. Plus cleaned up the metal tab, and put small slots in it for extra hold.

When I saw it today It had a run coming from the spot where it once resided. I bought the glue from autozone, and mixed per instructions.

Any thoughts on why it failed now?

Thealien 12-01-2021 10:17 PM

Re: Rear view mirror glue.

I tried 3 different brands and had no luck. Went to a local Glass guy and they glued it on for $20. I had spent that on adhesives.

Sheepdip 12-01-2021 10:51 PM

There are a lot of 72 model years running around with 71 and earlier screw mounted mirrors because of that same problem, especially 4WD's. Heat generated from the summer sun doesn't help either.

Doesn't answer your question but that's how I solved my issue where the glue wouldn't hold.

LT7A 12-01-2021 11:35 PM

I went to a windshield place with a later model truck and they glued the little tab on for nothing. Took the guy about 1.734 minutes. I offered to pay and they said no.

truckster 12-01-2021 11:49 PM

The Loctite professional glue glass shops use is far superior to anything you can buy in an auto parts store. I'd recommend stopping by your local glass shop. I always glued mirror tabs on for free.

cwcarpenter98 12-02-2021 01:15 AM

I've had the same issue with my 95 Dakota. I tried at least 4 different times and it's fallen off every time. Took me well over a year before I tried again. I used the 3m kit in the red and black package that you can get at the parts store. I made sure to clean both the glass and the metal button really, really well, then followed the instructions to the T. Also did it in a shady spot when the weather was moderate. So far, it hasn't fallen off yet, but it's only been a couple months and I haven't touched the mirror to adjust it since the adjustment after gluing it back on.

If it falls off again, I'm going to a glass shop next

Just call me Sean 12-02-2021 02:15 AM

Mine keeps falling back off, but it's a van so the mirror is useless anyways.

72c20customcamper 12-02-2021 09:51 AM

This is where too much is no good. Most people put to much on the button but a tiny little drop is best .

fun in dirt 12-02-2021 01:52 PM

Same deal here, I even tried the Gorilla super glue the second time. That lasted a couple of weeks then fell again.

truckin 79 12-02-2021 05:17 PM

I used Permatex brand and so far so good. It has lasted about 4 months. I still gingerly handle the mirror when moving it though. I put on a mirror that has the compass and temperature display from a Saturn Vue so it does have a little more weight then standard mirror. My truck sits in the sun all day long and I slam my doors to shut doors due to newer seals. The permatex comes with a little towelette that has some kind of cleaner or activator and that seemed to work.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SL500_.jpg

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-02-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9002178)
There are a lot of 72 model years running around with 71 and earlier screw mounted mirrors because of that same problem, especially 4WD's. Heat generated from the summer sun doesn't help either.

Doesn't answer your question but that's how I solved my issue where the glue wouldn't hold.

Do you know or anyone if that is a viable swap for a square body?

Sheepdip 12-03-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 9002572)
Do you know or anyone if that is a viable swap for a square body?

I think the square body headliner goes all the way to the windshield, not sure exactly where it stops but I think the headliner tucks into or at least to the windshield rubber. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

truckster 12-03-2021 02:20 AM

Seriously, stop by a glass shop. It will take you 10 minutes and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Just call me Sean 12-03-2021 03:01 PM

I don't worry about it. I have two other mirrors.

truckdude239 12-03-2021 03:05 PM

i gave up doing these at work my local glass shop will gule them on for 17 dollars and give a life time warranty

Rich84 12-03-2021 03:28 PM

Same here. Glued it twice. Second time lasted years until I banged my head on it putting in a new dash. It took out a giant chunk of glass too. Went to a glass shop and they did it for $10.00.

Low Elco 12-03-2021 11:52 PM

Mine just fell out of my 87. I need to take it to the glass shop. Might do that in the morning.