View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #75
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Now that I've been making some progress with the frame, I've started looking toward the next area of my pickup: Springs and Axles. I was planning to rebuild the springs and hangers I have form the 66, paint add plastic sliders, etc. and then bolt in the 1/2 ton Dana 44 and 12 Bolt that I pulled from a 73 Blazer.

Then I got to thinking about how the springs use older style solid metal bushings, and the rear uses a factory 5.5" block, and that the big block plus big tires might stress the 1/2 ton axles... So I started perusing the socal craigslists for 14B FF and Dana 60 axles when I found a guy desperate to get rid of a 73 K20 longbed. It came with a Detroit Diesel 6.5 Turbo. Long story short he kept the motor and I took the rest of the truck for a few hundred bucks. Loaded the best on a tow dolly and dragged her home... (my Dad's going to think I've gone )

But I'm pretty happy because now I have:

3/4 ton axles

I know its not a Dana 60 but beggars can't be choosers, and its a start. I'm also going to put the hangers from the 73 on my 66 frame to upgrade to newer style rubber bushings and more aftermarket support for springs.

16" rims with new tires

a hydroboost setup (at least good for cores if its leaking)

a sm465-np205 setup

Unfortunately the PO cut a access hole on the left of the bellhousing for the starter on the 6.2L Diesel that used to be in there.

And there are a few minor useful things like tow hooks, steering gearbox, weird old German first aid kit, etc.

I'm planning to sell off/scrap the body in the next few weeks. The cab and the hood are pretty rusty, but the fenders, doors and bed are in decent shape. Plus I'll have my 1/2 ton Dana 44 and 12 Bolt to sell also. So I should be able to make my money back no problem.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 07-03-2012 at 02:58 AM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote