View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Jegs Crate or LS engine swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
Im about to sink $7500 into my 71 Blazer engine. Should I go with a Jeg's Crate turn key or do an LS swap. Anybody with the ins and outs of both would be very helpful. I'm leaning towards the 454 Jegs motor simple because its plug and play. Thanks Mickey
I have installed both. They both have their pros and cons. The crate engines have the straight forward installation and old school charm, while the LS engines have the ease of starting, minimum maintenance requirements, and high mileage possibilities.

The cons for the LS engines are wiring requirements, speedometer conversion problems, fuel delivery requirements, and on the road repairs.

Cons for the crate engines are continued maintenance (somewhat dependent on what distributor is used) harder starting, generally less fuel mileage, and initial break in requirements.(depending on valve train)

On the road repairs used to be a plus for the crate style engines but anymore none of the auto parts stores keep repair parts on hand, everything has to be ordered. So that advantage has kind of gone down the drain.

I really like the 350 crate and NV4500 combo I installed in my '72 Dually. It gets decent gas mileage, will cruise down the interstate at 75 or 80, and pulls my 20' trailer like a champ. I also like the LS1/4l60e setup I installed in the '67 Panel Truck. It will cruise at any speed you want to cruise at, gets 24 mpg, you can stand outside the truck and start it in any weather, and it runs as smooth as glass....

Conclusion is it kind of depends on what you will use the truck for.

This is just my opinion and will differ greatly from person to person.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote