View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #212
KyleSeal

Re: My 1967 Build (Finally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I can't say that I've ever heard of the dry ice and isopropyl alcohol trick before. Would you mind elaborating? I'd like to get the rust concealing crud off the inside of my doors as well.
Essentially I went to my local supermarket (Harris Teeter), bought a 4lb bag of dry ice and two 16oz bottles of isopropyl alcohol, and used a small cooler to mix/break them up. I used 16oz of isopropyl to 4 lbs of dry ice. I chopped it up so it was in small manageable pieces, and would lay the dry ice mix on the sound deadening material for about 10 minutes or so, and slowly chip away the material. It works really well. This makes the material lose its mechanical bond to the surface of the door, and seemingly did not damage the outside paint on the door skin (my goal with this method).

Here's a description from Google: "Adding isopropyl alcohol to dry ice makes the liquid cool very quickly ⏤ the mixture's temperature can reach -90°C (-130°F). At this point, the water inside the flowers, candy, and banana quickly freezes and turns into ice, making these objects 'stoney'."

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote