View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 08:37 PM   #39
dagnabbitt

Re: 1972 GMC 2500 6.2 Diesel

In what probably appears to be a continuing effort to throw good money after bad, I decided to replace the dual exhaust today.

I might have not mentioned that this truck was pretty dang loud when I got it. It just had straight pipes with cherry bombs that terminated right behind the cab, and although it did sound kind of cool at first, it sounded progressively less cool the more I drove it.

Because I need new cab corners it was actually louder in the cab when the windows were rolled up. The sound produced was not a nice rumble, either. More like a boiler that was about to explode.

When you take the exhaust "system" I just described and factor in the clatter of a 6.2L diesel in an uninsulated engine bay, it was pretty obnoxious.

I have been daily driving the truck about 50 miles a day - mostly highway and freeway - so I thought I would treat myself. It is new from manifold to tailpipe, with a pair of knockoff GM sedan mufflers, just dumping over the rear axle.

It is soooo much quieter. Last time I took my wife for a ride I gave her some earplugs, I am hoping she likes it better now.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote