View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 09:06 PM   #844
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Howdy Richard,
I thought that 68 frames came dimpled for power steering from the factory. My understanding is 67's came with power assist cylinders and not a true power steering box which 68 and up did. Nonetheless whether or not I am correct about that it wasn't a big job to add the required clearance to the frame.

It took me 15 minues to clean the frame before heating it with a small Rosebud on my torch. Then another 15 minutes to massage it into shape. Add another 10 minutes to paint and spread anti-sieze and check the fit. There was one spot near the top of the frame that needed a bit more massaging to be clear. I then hit it with a 80 grit 1 1/2" Rollock pad to remove the peen marks from the hammer. Once again with the Rollock disk 150 grit this time to remove the 80 grit scuffs and then paint. About 1 3/4 hour in total to do it.

My comments about the wrong hammer had to do with the ball end of the hammer I was using. I would have liked to have a hammer with a face with the same radius of the dimple I wanted to make. The ball on the hammer I used was too small. The other hammers I have that had a close match to the radius were too small and had no weight to assist in the tender massaging of the frame, requiring much more heat to get the dimple I desired. The rest of the collection of hammers had too much B in BFH for the space involved.
Okay that's enough hammer talk.

During the fit up tests I noticed the box hit the corner of core support so I added some clearance there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
The only thing I can figure is my 68 may be an early frame. Apparently Capt Fab has a bracket that can be welded on but I may end up doing what you did. I have the bump outs where the bolts go but the frame is not dimpled for the bump out on the actual box. Not wanting to get in to it at the time I just put the manual box back on when I saw it would not go on. I still have the body off the frame so it is still an easy fix. I have not been able to work on any of it over the last 2 years since I am the only one working at my shop now. Things had piled up 3 deep around it so I could not even tinker. I have spent the last month getting everything straight around the shop so I can get back on it in the next couple of weeks.

My '68 CST C20 had the power assist power steering with no dimple in the frame. I think it was a pretty early manufacture date. The assist steering worked really good and leaked very little. Not the norm for them I don't think.

LockDoc
-

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote