View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
dagnabbitt

Re: 1981 SWB Stepside Build

Sorry I have neglected this thread, I got caught up in my 1968 C20. I should always focus on one thing at a time, but never do.

This truck has been steadily improved, though. I bought a new dash pad for it, and using a Classic Industries cover, had the seat redone. It also folds, now. Some door panels from the junkyard, and a wood grain Grant steering wheel simply to remind me of high school.

Mostly creature comforts, in other words. This is the only truck I own that you can have a conversation with a passenger in without shouting over wind noise or the howl of the drivetrain; I am not kidding. I am looking to make it my daily driver.

In terms of driveability I located a 1991 700r4 for a hundred bucks and had it rebuilt with a shift kit and 2200-2500 stall: it is built with "corvette parts" as they say. It became a new truck over night. Even with the tired old 350 the tires break loose not just in first, but when shifting to second, too. The best part though is that I drive the freeway and highway 30 miles each way to work and with that fourth gear my rpms are way down.

As to that tired old 350 - if it even is a 350 - it is more than just tired, it is done for. It has so much blowby that it is frankly hilarious at this point. I installed a road draft tube just to get it home the other day, and when moving it from my driveway to the street I have to put a quart or two of oil in it. No one can accuse me of acting too soon on this engine, I waited until the truck was undrivable.

I am refocused on this truck: after much deliberation and consultation with the forum, I have ordered and received a new 355 from Blueprint. I never supposed I could afford this option, but it turns out that staying out of the bars for a year and a half due to world events (and quitting smoking) was just the ticket. Nuff said, check out the below!
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote