View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #50
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Well I've been too busy to update the my build thread. Between trying to work out, finishing my bonus room into a home theater and the project truck I'v been busy

I got the ECE drop member installed, the poly bushings put in the rear control arms and the rear end mounted into the frame.

I also began to assemble the rearend, though I had to get a 1 5/16 in socket to install the 1350 series u-joint, so that is on pause for now. I also need a in-lb dial torque wrench. I did get new outer wheel bearings and seals installed. The bearing races installed into the housing. The ring gear swapped onto the posi unit.

I also got the rear calipers mocked up. Looks like they will work. I'm going to take it all back apart and powder coat the bracket and have the caliper polished. I still need to order rotors.

As you can see in the above picture I also started on the rear notch. I got one side welded in tonight. One more side to go, plus some grinding, and then touching up the paint.

I also notched the frame a little for some additional clearance for the A/C compressor lines. I'm going to wait to get the transmission before I notch the frame for the power steering pulley. I'm picking up the transmission this weekend.

I was going to use 73+ upper control arms, but I fought with the poly bushings, and said F*&^ it and went and grabbed an extra set of the correct control arms and sand blasted them. I'm going to go ahead and powder coat them too.

I got the engine stands installed.

And then test fitted the engine. I made my own engine mount adapter plates too.

I got the headers off of ebay. They're stainless steel and were only $350. They look good. My only complaint is that the bolting flange is a little off, so I'll have to fix that. These are the same brand of headers I also have on my corvette. Clearance is going to be tight, but they should work. I can't tell 100% until I get the tranny in place. My biggest concern with them is clearance for the frame mounted shift linkage thing from the steering column. The headers do tuck up nicely though!

Let's see....also made another trip to the salvage yard. I was in search of a good core support. I thought I was going to use the core support from my parts truck that is in very good shape for being an original, but I have since found out that the 69+ are different than the 67-68. The salvage yard didn't have any better condition ones than what I already have. I did manage to pick up a van tilt column though.

So that's all for now. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so I'm hoping to bust out some more work.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote