View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #41
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

As some of you may be aware, I'm putting a 5.3L into the 68 chevy pickup

Well, mad a deal for the 5.3L long block, but it does not include the intake, tb, fuel rails, ecm or computer.

So I found a guy on the "performance truck" part of LS1tech that has the wiring harness and ECM I need. In fact he is sending me two wiring harnesses. One from a truck with a 4L80E and one from a 4L60E. I wasn't aware at the time that I made the deal with mark, but the trucks are drive by wire like the corvettes are. I thought and pondered and read about my options. I finally decided to go with drive by wire. For a few reasons. One the wiring harness is already set up for it, and then I can easily do cruise control. It just so happens that the same guy with the harnesses aslo had an intake/thottle body/ and fuel rail off the same truck so he's sending that too.

The other parts needed to run "drive by wire" are a gas pedal assembly with the little reostat, a TAC box (controls the throttle I guess) and the wires that go between the two. So this morning I scored those two things a salvage yard.

The only other part I still need for the engine to run is a MAF. I believe the trucks use a 5 wire one though. Have to do some checking.

I then went to another salvage yard (since it's my day off and I don't get the chance to go real often) Anyways for the 68, I need a hood, grill, all the bracketry for the hood release, and hood hinges. I found a truck that had all this stuff on it and it is in great condition. There's a small dent in the hood, and a small dent in the grill, but otherwise they're almost perfect. No rust or anything. I figure for the $135 buck I spent on this stuff, it would have cost me about $1000 for new parts (not to mention shipping)

The only other parts I was on the look out for was an original AM radio, but they wanted $50 for that...not worth it, and a set up LT1 camaro rear brake calipers. Oh well, maybe next time.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote