View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
62stepside longbox

Re: Project daily drivable 62 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the frame to cross member gap, I ended up not using frame pieces to make a one piece shims in this instance because the gaps are not uniform. I didn't want to force in a one piece shim. So for now I shimmed each bolt separately with mostly grade 8 flat washers and in two spots there are upper a-arm shims, which are visible in the above pics. After the engine placement is completely sorted the engine will go back on the stand and I will re-visit that frame to cross member gap to see if it needs a better solution. The a-arm shims will be replaced for sure.

I have seen where others have closed that gap by using an impact gun to over tighten the vertical bolts coming in from the bottom. I don't think that is a good idea. That method will deform the cross member and/or the frame and possibly put unwanted stress on the bolts coming in from the sides.
Ok thanks a lot man, I've never heard of this gap problem before looking into your thread. In markeb01's thread ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366828 ) he doesn't show any problems with the gap, maybe it has something to do with him using a 73-87 x member and you using a 72 xmember? I'm using a 78 so I'll see if I run into the same problem
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote